Guiding Light: CBS Cancels Soap Opera But It May Be Saved

Guiding LightCBS has set an end date for its long-running soap opera Guiding Light. The ongoing serial is set to end after 72 years and more than 15,700 installments on television and radio. It’s listed in The Guinness Book of World Records as “The Longest-Running Television Drama,” a record that’s not likely to be beaten.

Light began as a 15-minute network program in 1952 and expanded to a half-hour in 1968. It became an hour program in 1977 and has continued at that length ever since.

Like all soap operas, Light’s ratings have been in decline for some time. Light and CBS’ other venerable soap, As the World Turns, have both been outshined by less expensive daytime options like Judge Judy and Dr. Phil.

Awhile back, CBS and producers tried to modernize Lights by integrating digital cameras as well as cut costs by downsizing crew sizes and production schedules. The changes weren’t a big hit with many viewers and apparently they weren’t enough to save the venerable series.

Should Guiding Light be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In a statement, Barbara Bloom, Senior Vice President, of CBS’ Daytime Programs, said “We thank the cast, crew and producers — past and present — who delivered this entertainment institution, the beloved characters and the time-honored stories to our audience every day for seven decades. It’s been a privilege to work with such an extraordinarily talented group of people.”

Though CBS has cancelled the series, there may still be hope. Procter & Gamble, the owner of the show, is exploring other possibilities for keeping it alive — including online or a cable outlet.

Brian T. Cahill of P&G’s TeleNext Media said, “We are working hard to find the show a new home, and we are exploring all our options to continue to bring loyal fans the characters and stories they love.”

For now, it looks like the series finale will be broadcast on Friday, September 18, 2009. CBS has yet to announce what will fill Light’s daily timeslot but possibilities include a revamped version of game show $25,000 Pyramid or talk shows led by Valerie Bertinelli, Leah Remini or T.D. Jakes.

Anonymous September 4, 2012 at 9:50 pm

We Trust P&G Productions They Will Find A Very nice Home For All Of The cancelled Soaps And Get A New Channel For It. Goodluck. P&G Wish You All The Very Best looking For Word To Having All Of The Soaps Come Back On The Air With Old Episodes And New Episodes To.

Donielle May 17, 2010 at 12:31 am

Hello I watched guilding Light since 1993 and i love it. The story lines were great. I really got into it and love the actors. I want it to come back on tv. thank you

Ruby Hall January 11, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I was very upset to find out my favorite show had been canceled ,all the cast were great,they made you think, smile, laugh, cryand get angry just covering all the issue of everyday life so if the show isn,t put back on the air ,Iwish everyone the best you all have left us in awe so

Anonymous February 3, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I to was VERY upset the show was canceled. Iam 36 and watched the show with my grandma and my mom. Guiding Light was the ONLY show during the day I watched and now they have a game show on which is not interesting to watch. I REALLY wish they would put it back on. My grandson is 3 and he would also look forward to watching with me even though his favorite part was the song in the begining. We would sing it together. PLEASE PUT IT BACK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nicole

sandy berry November 18, 2009 at 5:48 am

i been a fan of day time soap since i cant even remember i love them all, but i love guiding the best please find a way to get it back on tv even thou i watch the rest still its not the same without guiding light, i use to look forward to that one most of all

Latathia abraham November 11, 2009 at 10:55 am

please put guide light back on the air. I love that show very much, It was one of my best show. Think you very

Brenda October 20, 2009 at 1:03 pm

i ahve watched guilding light since i was 15 i am now 58 my mom my aunts my dad and my friends have been faithful viewers so find a way to bring the soap back………

Suzanne Marx October 7, 2009 at 9:48 pm

I have been looking for weeks to see where it went. Did you take a poll to save it? I have been watching since I was 5. I am 46 now. I am greatly saddened!!! Please save it.

sherry wagner October 6, 2009 at 5:43 pm

please put it back on i been watching this show for over 20 years,its not right and you got price and right on in its place not right

Linda September 28, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Ive started watching all the CBS soaps at age five,Iam now 46 years of age, the guiding light was my favorite please put it back on the air.

Benita Steele September 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I am very upset with you at CBS you have know idea what people want. You keep shows like The Bold and the Beautiful and As The World Turns on the air and take a show like the Guilding Light off the air. To me its the only soap that is not sleazy and is good for the family. I have watched this show for 30 years, my grandmother got me started and I taped it everyday, never missed a show. The worst part of all there was no warning on tv about the show ending i found out on Friday night when i watched my taped show and seen the end when it finished and thought to myself what is that about. Well i found out on Monday night what it was all about. This has upset me very much because this is the only soap i have ever watched and i think at this point you have lost a viewer, i personaly will never watch another show you produce. I felt the way this was done was very unprofessional and not a way to treat a loyal viewer. I cann’t understand why you left the other boring ones on and took off the best soap every made. I hope you do read this and i am sure i am not the only upset viewer and whoever decided this may need to rethink this.

lisa September 24, 2009 at 1:22 am

i love guiding light so can u put it back on the air please leave all of the soaps on cbs channel 8 thank you very much

nicole September 19, 2009 at 6:21 pm

i am 30 years old and i remember as a kid watching it with my mom and great grandmother i am a huge fan of gl and i hated to see it go i almost cried after i work 8 hrs a day i would come home and watch it why did you guys take it off the air yes im a soaps addict especially gl i hope that you guys put it back on the air go figure it starts gettin good and interresting you guys take it away and put some stupid show in its place you have some die hard fans of gl and to take it off the air is stupid i would rather watch gl then any other soap please please put it back on the air all of us die hard fans would love it it just started gettin interesting and jonathan and sarah just came back and lizzie and bill was expecting a child and reva and josh was talking bout gettin remarried ugh i am so mad right now i cant believe its gone off the air. PLEASE PUT IT BACK ON!!!!!!

vicki lopez September 18, 2009 at 2:40 pm

to the characters on guiding light our heart goez out to all of you , we are all just sadden sadden that the GL is not gona be shown any more, words cant explane how we all fell right now.iv been watching GL senice i was 13 yrs , and im am now 44 yrs how sad, cant bekive it,GL made my day,i always made time every day at 1:00 pm on chanel 2 .very very unhappy with the descision to cancel GL,to all the characters i will miss youll so so much my dream was to one day met the characters all of them, but with my disabilty i no there was no way, not even now ,,, sorry to all the characters on GL we love youll, viki

Ann Bolton September 18, 2009 at 2:09 pm

add this to my ststement. I have signed a petition and wrote to CBS what else to I need to do to help to keep GL on the air? Let me know and I will do it.