Leverage: Cancelled by TNT, No Season Six

leverage last episodeTNT has officially cancelled Leverage after five seasons on the air. The action series will conclude its run on Tuesday, Christmas Day. Thankfully, the show about modern Robin Hoods will have a suitable ending.

Executive producer Dean Devlin recently wrote an open letter to fans. He penned, “As of the writing of this letter, we still do not know if there will be a season six of our show… Because of this uncertainty, John Rogers and I decided to end this season with the episode we had planned to make to end the series, way back when we shot the pilot. So, the episode that will air on Christmas is, in fact, the series finale we had always envisioned.”

Here’s TNT’s official statement about the cancellation:

TNT’S “LEVERAGE” COMING TO AN END

TNT’s Leverage has thrilled audiences with its delightfully intricate plots, its “stand up for the little guy” attitude and its terrific performances from stars Timothy Hutton, Gina Bellman, Christian Kane, Beth Riesgraf and Aldis Hodge. But after five wonderful years, it’s time to say goodbye. Leverage will come to a close on Christmas, Tuesday, Dec. 25, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT), with a series finale that stands as one of the show’s best episodes.

We are honored to have worked with executive producer Dean Devlin, Electric Entertainment, creators John Rogers and Chris Downey, and all the cast and production crew on Leverage. We look forward to exploring new opportunities to work with them again in the future. We also want to thank the passionately devoted fans of Leverage, who have been the driving force behind its success.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Leverage won’t be back for a sixth season or do you think this is a good time to end the series?

D&B December 26, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Nooooo!!!! Big mistake. Huge! Please do not cancel one of the best written, best cast shows on television. What will you replace it with…. “So You Think You Can Produce” reality show? Rethink while Sophie is on maternity leave and then bring them all back.

John December 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Wow!!!!! After watching the show last night I was afraid that this was the end. TNT I believe you are making a HUGE mistake! I seldom watch television anymore because it is the same as many have said, “CRAP”! I guess I can add TNT as one of the channels I never watch! Been nice watching you LEVERAGE!

Kathleen Bruce December 26, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I cannot believe that this show, with such brilliant plots and a pleasing cast of people, will be taken off the air and so many stupid, stupid reality shows just keep on coming. What a treat it was to see Timothy Hutton front and center again. Christian Kane is one of the most gorgeous men alive and a true man’s man. Aldis Hodge is so witty and if he isn’t the smartest man alive, he surely is a good actor. Gina Bellman and Beth Riesgraf are like daylight and dark, but both beautiful and so talented in their own ways. I may as well just quit watching TV, because my idea of good, wholesome, thought provocking, “good guy wins” shows never seems to match the critics. What a waste!!!

sherri December 26, 2012 at 1:35 pm

What ever happened to FAMILY television shows??? or is it just about ratings?? Believe it or not there ARE people out there that like tv shows about other things besides killing, vampires and the underworld!!

Rose Deangelo December 26, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I have been waatching Leverage since day one and can’t believe that TNT has made a decision to cancel. This is the worst decision possible. There are so many dump reality shows on that it is poluting the air waves. It refreshing to watch a show where the actor has a complete thought, and not based soley for ratings. How can you make that type of decision solely based on what ratings..? Screw ratings..! Leverage has style and actual grown folks that can have a complete thought.. Please reconsider your decision to cancel such a wonderful and entertaining group of actors…!

Sincerely
Disappointed Rose Deangelo
This sucks on so many levels!!!!

Anonymous December 26, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I agree!!! So many lousy realty shows or shows with naked men and women. This was one show that was safe for kids to watch and stimulating for adults. Someone has to pick this up and keep it going!!!!!!!

Debbie December 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Have totally enjoyed every show. Will miss it terribly. Loyal fan base no longer counts for much. Guess I’ll have to go nostalgia mode and buy the series.

jaso winks December 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

lets replace a great show like leverage and replace it with what – most likely a crap show that will no doubt be cancelled in a season or 2 : TNT you have no clue and i now hope your network goes under

regards jason winks

E. Beck December 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

I am truly upset of the cancellation of a GREAT show, “LEVERAGE” !!!! Who made the Ridiculious decision to cancel this show??? “LEVERAGE” is a wonderfully SMART show and very entertaining; there isn’t many of those. The characters are very well created. It’s a shame that TNT excutives are paid a lot of $ to do nothing but to go to meetings and make shameless decisions such as the said outcome of “LEVERAGE”. Excutives need to learn to make smart decisions, starting with not cancelling, “LEVERAGE” and having it return for more seasons. The characters are wonderfull

Sadie Rose December 26, 2012 at 10:58 am

Oh say it isn’t so!!!!! I’ve all but stopped watching NBC, CBS and ABC; TNT was the channel I loved b/c of LEVERAGE. I cannot BELIEVE that your “powers that be” made the decision to cancel the show. It had everything – suspense, humor and nothing offensive in it. To Timothy Hutton, Gina Bellman, Beth Riesgraf, Christian Kane and Aldis Hodge…..what an incredible group of actors. Job well done and this is one viewer that is EXTREMELY unhappy with TNT’s decision. I look forward to seeing all of you in other ventures you undertake!
TNT, what a stupid decision you made….seriously – stupid decision people!!!!!!!!
Deborah Lindley

Margo December 26, 2012 at 10:54 am

Why do all the good, smart shows get cancelled when the CR**P mindless shows continue for years? Oh yeah, I remember, to appease the millions of mindless minnions out there. Luckily the stars of the show will go on to create other memorable roles.

Theresa December 26, 2012 at 2:06 am

Obviously fan enjoyment is not what drives TNT. Like most short thinking execs you pull the shows that have loyal viewers for what? Another reality show? No more here! I’ve cancelled my cable. I’m done with shows being yanked that have a loyal following and good ratings. Find your next trailer park series!

Brad December 26, 2012 at 1:37 am

I love the show am sad to see it go. Portland is a great set with the microbrewery headquarters. I wish USA or some other cable network would pick it up.

Athena Martin December 26, 2012 at 1:29 am

I am very upset about Leverage being canceled. That was the best shows on tv. My whole family loved it. It was a show that everyone could sit around the tv and watch it was a great family show. I could not wait for a new season to come on. I am so upset it was a great show it ruined my holiday to hear that it had been canceled. Whoever thought that it was a good idea to end the show was very stupid.

Shawn December 26, 2012 at 1:25 am

What are they thinking…..Hey, let’s take a creative, intelligent show with heart and a stellar cast and cancel it! Seems like they think the viewing public only wants to watch the so called “Reality” shows, which have nothing to do with the real world. Networks are more and more cancelling the few good shows they do come up with and instead they shove shallow, drivel like “Housewives, Bachelors, Big Brothers and Jersey wantabes, down our throats. Do they doubt our intelligence or are they trying to dumb us down. Wonder if the men in charge even watch their own shows. There are so few shows that are even thought provoking and entertaining. In Leverage we had that and a show the whole family could enjoy. They keep going like this, and cable keeps jerking us around , soon tv will be extinct. As to the cast and crew of Leverage, “Bravo” and thank you! You should be proud!

riki December 26, 2012 at 1:09 am

another case of an intelligent,quality show getting bumped in the network’s attempt to
cater to a “dumbed down,attention-deficit” viewership;can’t wait to see what they replace it with…morons…