Mad Love: CBS Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Mad Love canceled season twoThere was an instant attraction between Ben Parr and Kate Swanson on the new CBS sitcom, Mad Love. Unfortunately, not enough viewers fell in love with the show and it’s now been cancelled after one season.

Mad Love revolves around four young New Yorkers. Two are falling in love with one another while the other two can’t stand each other — at least in the beginning. Ben (Jason Biggs) is a hopeless romantic and an attorney who’s trying to build a relationship with Kate (Sarah Chalke), the girl of his dreams. Larry (Tyler Labine) is Ben’s best friend and co-worker. He and Kate’s roommate, Connie (Judy Greer), don’t like each other but they have a lot more in common that either will admit.

The sitcom debuted on Valentines Day appropriately enough to a 3.0 rating in the ever-important 18-49 demographic and 8.74 million viewers. That was a positive start and seemed to be very compatible with its lead-in, How I Met Your Mother.

Should Mad Love have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, the show’s ratings started declining immediately. Last week’s episode fell to a series low with a 1.9 rating in the demographic and 5.11 million viewers. That was a loss of 27% from the lead-in demo and viewership levels are naturally higher at 8:30 than they are at 8:00.

The 12 episodes of Mad Love that have aired so far have averaged a 2.3 in the demo and 6.49 million viewers. CBS obviously feels that a sitcom in that timeslot should perform better so they’ve cancelled Mad Love.

TV show supportTwo other freshman shows, $#*! My Dad Says and The Defenders were also cancelled today.

The de facto series finale of Mad Love will air tomorrow night at 8:30pm. Sadly it doesn’t look like we’ll find out how the love story would have finished.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Mad Love isn’t being renewed for a second season? Why do you think this series didn’t catch on?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our CBS cancel/renew page.

Johannes June 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I was introduced to this show through Netflix, and I fell in love with it so quickly! I watched all 13 episodes in one night and I believe I’m an idiot for not prolonging the joy. I really do hope some other network can obtain the rights to this show somehow.

needaname June 16, 2011 at 5:07 am

After all these years, I still don’t like ‘How I Met Your Mother’. Barney is a tired womanizer and the rest of the crew are predictably corny. I loved ‘Sh*t my Father Says’ and ‘Mad Love’ are far funnier shows with the sexual tension.

jimi June 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm

F-you CBS. Mar love gets the axe, but that stupid show about the fat people stays? Wow ,soooo lame

Adeeb June 13, 2011 at 6:37 pm

That’s very upsetting. I don’t know what standards those guys follow when they cancel shows and the reason is simply ridiculous and irrational. How I met you mother was a good show but for the past 2-3 seasons it’s just boring and repetitive! Shit my dad says was also a big time awesome show that doesn’t deserve to be cancelled. I wish CBS give it a second thought about those 2 shows and take in its consideration millions of lovers!

Erica June 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm

THIS PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF.
The chemistry between Connie and Larry was awesome. Not knowing how the love story plays out from the season finale pisses me off. IT WAS SUCH A GOOD SHOW AND THEY HAD SUCH GOOD CHEMISTRY.

Fuck CBS. You made the wrong choice.

Jerrod June 8, 2011 at 1:20 am

This realy sucks! I mean damn now what….Thats all I have to say abou it, Maybe someone needs to take over the station that can feel what america realy wants, Throw Nielson out the damn window, there has to be a better way.

steven June 8, 2011 at 1:10 am

There could be quite a lot of people who stream the show online somewhere. I dont always get the chance to catch it on Monday nights and have to stream it later on in the week when got some free time…

J Shu June 7, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Mad Love cannot be cancelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CBS what the hell are you thinking!!!! Mad Love is my favorite show. I can’t get enough of Larry and Connie, but it looks like it is over. It is so much better than the crap like Mike and Molly and How I Met Your Mother needs to end it isn’t that good CBS. Please bring back MAD LOVE!

Ashley P June 6, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I’m so terribly disappointed! I thought Mad Love was a great show. Tyler Labine kept me cracking up most of the show. I was so interested to see how it would play out. I guess I will never know. How upsetting! BRING MAD LOVE BACK, INDEED!!!!

Jess B June 6, 2011 at 7:31 pm

BRING MAD LOVE BACK!! YOU had me on the edge of my seat and than you just take it away!! BOOOO! I loved this show!!!

Anonymous June 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

It makes me so upset that mad love was cancelled. That was my nrew fav show.. screw cbs

B JoneZ June 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Very disappointing to learn CBS is cutting off a clearly well-acted series like Mad Love, when HIMYM has been skating by for a couple years now. Will miss the chemistry that was just starting to boil with Judy Greer and Tyler Labine. BRING MAD LOVE BACK!!!!

Kyle Landry June 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Cant believe they canceled it. Is 5mill viewers not good enough for them come on it was a good show. People are going to stop watching there crap if they keep canceling 5 mill is alot of people to piss off. And for How I Met Your Mother MEET HER ALREADY GOD. I agree they should have taken that off and kept Mad Love

John Castillo June 1, 2011 at 11:56 am

This was a really funny show, in addition to Shit my Dad says which was also very funny. Both of these shows were funnier than How I Met Your Mother which hasn’t been funny for the past 3 seasons and. I hate seeing both of these shows gone. Would rather have seen Mike and Molly gone before either of these two shows.

Brier Manor May 31, 2011 at 12:22 am

I’m so sad. I had to come here to commiserate with everyone. I knew I wasn’t alone. Did I mention I’m so sad!!!!