Moonlight: CBS Cancels Vampire Drama, No Season Two

MoonlightThough things were looking good for a second season of CBS’ vampire show, Moonlight has been cancelled. The show has loyal followers, the ratings were decent, and the series often won its timeslot. What happened?

Essentially Moonlight has been cut for a number of reasons. The rest of the network’s schedule is quite strong in the ratings and it certainly makes no sense to cancel one of the stronger series. If Moonlight were on the ratings-challenged CW, it certainly would have been renewed.

Like Jericho last season, Moonlight has a devout but small audience. Unfortunately, CBS’ decision to resurrect Jericho didn’t work out so well for them. Though many campaigned to get Jericho renewed, fewer people tuned in. CBS likely feels a bit burned by that experience and is reluctant to go down that road again.

The cancellation also stems from the fact that CBS is feeling very confident about their new batch of drama pilots. They’ve given a greenlight for four new dramas this fall and there just wasn’t any room left on the schedule for Moonlight. They know that Moonlight’s audience is unlikely to grow very much and would rather take a chance on a new show.

There’s been much upheaval behind-the-scenes and it’s been reported that the network hasn’t been impressed with the show’s creative development. The ratings were also usually lower than both its lead-in (Ghost Whisperer) and lead-out (Numb3rs).

CBS has given the okay for another season of The Unit. With the network’s full schedule, the drama will likely end up being bumped from Tuesdays and end up on Fridays in Moonlight’s old slot.

Moonlight’s series finale is set to air this Friday, May 16th. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Danielle September 6, 2014 at 1:54 am

I remember when moonlight first came on, I was crazy about it. After it cancelled I was pretty mad. Don’t get me wrong Hawaii 5-0 is alright to watch every once in awhile but it has nothing compared to Moonlight and considering where they left it, there should have been at least one more season. Even now I just finished re-watching it and it still kills me that no network has decided to pick up where they left off.

Krissy July 25, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Don’t Cancel Moonlight!!!!! It’s A Good Show, I Just Re-Watched Season 1 And I Really Want To See What Happens Next With Everyone.

Julie May 23, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I watched this 100 times and I still love it. I can’t believe that they cancelled it and didn’t even resume… It’s one of the best tv series I’ve ever seen… I guess that there will never be any series as good as this one. I love Twilight, The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural, but still, it’s not the same as Moonlight.

Jessie February 28, 2014 at 5:13 am

Hope they’re kicking themselves for this.

Cindy January 30, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Yeah… Cancelling Moonlight was probably one of the most shortsighted, boneheaded things ever done and CBS head Nina Tassler was apparently the power behind that decision. Bet she felt every bit like the complete IDIOT she was after Twilight made that genre take off. I primarily watch the CW now – Vampire Diaries, Arrow, Supernatural, Beauty and the Beast. Moonlight would be a perfect fit, and why it was not picked up by another network remains a big mystery. I adored Alex O’Loughlin in Moonlight, but SORRY Tassler, I would not watch Hawaii 5-0 on a bet. Just another ordinary, boring detective story. What stupidity.

Bernice January 1, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Ohh my god I am seeing the series and I really love it
I came across it on tv in italia 1 ,
I really love it that I told my sis to see and now we watch episodes together
Could there be a chance to complete it ???
:( :(

omg!ridiculous July 5, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Ok so i watched moonlight on tv, not when it firat came out but when it was rerun and i loved it. I really wish they would have done a season 2! Its really good and i went and bought the series on dvd…. I dont see how it went off the air.:( how could u of not love it! To me its even better than Twilight and gosh thats sayin somethin comin from me…. Im a hardcore twilight fan lol

click here April 16, 2013 at 12:05 am

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I to find It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to present one thing again and help others such as you helped me.

Sammi March 12, 2013 at 12:02 am

Moonlight was and is FANTASTIC. It was just a few years ahead of its time. If season one was to be re-released on tv now amongst all the current vampire shows and movies screening in our homes it would go off with a bang! Re-show it and you will have a ridiculous amount of viewers screaming for a second season!!

Kayla March 8, 2013 at 9:14 pm

You have to bring Moonlight back please you just can’t end season one that way and not have a seasons two I watched it on tv all the time even went and bought the season one DVD please bring back Moonlight