Parenthood: What Happened? Has the NBC TV Show Been Cancelled?

ParenthoodWe’ve received quite a few e-mails from readers who are been worried that Parenthood has been cancelled by NBC. Well, it hasn’t been canned and will actually be returning on January 4th. That’s the good news but fans shouldn’t get too complacent. The drama hasn’t been performing all that well and certainly isn’t assured of a third season.

Last May, Parenthood was one of those shows that was “on the bubble” but still ended up being renewed. Though season one premiered with a 3.1 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic and 8.1 million viewers, it soon after dropped to a 2.3 rating and 5.83 million viewers. The 13 episodes of season one ended up averaging a 2.6 in the demo and 6.38 million total viewers.

For season two, Parenthood debuted at about the same demo rating it had at the end of season one. Unfortunately, that didn’t last. In mid-November, shortly before it went on hiatus, Parenthood hit a series low of a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demo and 4.8 million viewers.

The first half of the season has averaged a 2.1 in the demo and 5.22 million. Parenthood is currently the seventh-highest rated scripted program on the network, falling in the middle of the list, just below The Event. While it’s not in immediate danger of being cancelled, the show’s certainly not safe either. Its fate will ultimately be decided by how well it performs when it returns from the six week hiatus. Most shows don’t typically fare very well and ratings drop after a hiatus. Will Parenthood be the exception?

What do you think? Will the ratings for Parenthood go up or down? Will it be cancelled or survive to see season three?

Denise January 31, 2013 at 1:05 am

Please, Please, Please, don’t cancel this show. It’s one of the best shows on the air!!! I’m soooooooo sick of all the reality shows. Where do they get their viewer numbers anyway? This is one of the only shows I watch. Please don’t cancel it!!!!

judy marks January 30, 2013 at 2:24 pm

My husband and I love this show. It is the one show on TV that your whole family can watch together. So real to everyday life. Why in the world you cancel this and leave all these shows on that all they do is kill people and the scenes are awful. I thinbk you need to rething this one.

joy January 29, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Iwent to watch the show tonight (1/29) and it wasn’t on!! what’s up??? I LOVE this show and look forward to seeing it every Tuesday night at 10:00 eastern time. Not on tonight, and I feel like I have been left out. It should NOT be cancelled, but if it was there should have been some kind of conclusion at least. Tired of all the new crap being put on tv . . . like the “new normal” (nothing normal about it). This was about real life and has great characters! Where is it?

Lynda Rose March 4, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I love the new normal!!

Tracy January 27, 2013 at 2:47 pm

This show is the best on TV. My husband and I laugh and cry with each episode. Come on people, get on board with this show. It’s very relatable to real life. You will fall in love with each and every character. Please, please, please don’t cancel this show. There are about a dozen I can think of that deserve the ax long before this beautifully written and acted show. Love all the characters!!! Save this show!!!!!

Selby Myers January 27, 2013 at 1:32 pm

We watched the first installment of Following last night and were simply revolted with the story line. Kevin Bacon is an amazing actor; the story is simply repugnant. Then we watched an installment of Parenthood. Unfortunately it was the season finale so there were no unfinished cliff hangers. But we have enjoyed the character development that the Parenthood scripts bring and the interesting mix of the diverse, multigenerational cast.

We look forward to another season of Parenthood. We shall not view another installment of Following.

Selby Myers
Aurora CO

Steph January 25, 2013 at 9:17 am

I finally found a show that I love, and the last episode on Jan. 22, 2013 looks liked they tied things up. So I have to wonder, has it been cancelled?

Michelle January 24, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I LOVE this show and am always excited for Tuesday nights and the new episodes! I will be so disappointed if its cancelled. Real life, great acting, sometimes emotionally draining. I like a program that makes me feel what they want me to feel. BRING IT BACK FOR MORE SEASONS!!!!!!

Cath January 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

My husband and I really love this show. It s a wholesome, family show and I hope NBC keeps the show around. There are so many of these silly shows that have no meaning. Parenthood has meaning. Im sure alot more people relate to this show then not. Networks just need to leave shows alone that are well liked and watched no matter what their “ratings” say. What kind of demographics are making up the “ratings” anyway. Certainly not our circle. BRING PARENTHOOD BACK for another season or two or three…etc.

noname January 23, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Can’t believe whenever I love a show it’s cancelled. good writing and acting never makes it on tv,

Lynda Rose March 4, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I agree no name!!

Carrie January 23, 2013 at 11:22 am

My all time favorite show is Parenthood. All of our friends also watch it. It is truly an typcial family show, which we seem to not have these days. My husband and I both relate to it all. Only thing I don’t like is that Sara dumped her fiance. I don’t like “Raymond”. He is too negative and boring. I liked her with the school teacher. The last episode was amazing last night! Excellent.

Anonymous January 23, 2013 at 11:17 am

Parenthood is my favorite show. The acting and storylines are wonderful. Please dont cancel this show. This is the only show I watch on NBC!

Beverly January 23, 2013 at 9:51 am

After one season of Parenthood, I knew it would be cancelled. Why, you ask. Because I loved it. It is too wholesome for most viewers – they want extreme sex, violence and vulgar language to entertain themselves. This show is wholesome and deals with everyday life. I guess reality is too mundane for some.

Nancy January 23, 2013 at 2:31 am

The storyline and acting is wonderful . Our favorite show. Please don’t cancel this very special and enjoyable series.

Jayde January 23, 2013 at 1:05 am

Everyone raves about this show. My husband and I are among those that love it! As grandparents and having raised children, the series is so refreshing and real life. We are holding on the the highest hopes that it will return. The acting is awesome and each individual adds to the dimension of the show! Great work! Keep writing the script and the people will follow!!!!!!

Marie January 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I love Parenthood – I have watched it from Day 1 and it is so true to live. I agree with the above that Ray Ramano does not suit the show. Great storyline. Don’t cancel it – I really look forward to each week.

Lynda Rose March 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Aww,I loved Ray on the show although it was odd seeing him not funny.He was kind of a grouch but I love him,he’s a good actor.