The Firm: Cancelled, No Season Two?

No season two of The Firm on NBCIt’s been a rough road for Mitch MicDeere. Now, it’s come to an end — at least on NBC. The Firm has been cancelled after one season of 22 episodes.

The Firm picks up years after the young attorney (Josh Lucas) made his deal with the mob to take his old crooked law firm down. He and his family have come out of hiding but their problems haven’t gone away. The show also stars Molly Parker, Callum Keith Rennie, Juliette Lewis, Natasha Calis, Tricia Helfer, Martin Donovan, Shaun Majumder, and Paulino Nunes.

The series represented one of NBC’s biggest launches of the season but it misfired right from the start. The two-hour premiere brought in a dismal 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 6.32 million viewers.

When The Firm moved to its regular timeslot on Thursdays a few days later, the numbers got even worse. Week two dropped 29% in the demo and the ratings kept falling in subsequent weeks. After hitting an embarrassing low for a primetime show — a 0.8 demo rating with 2.97 million viewers — NBC sent it packing to Saturday nights.

Would you like to see season two of The Firm?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers have been awful since that move — even for a Saturday night show. It’s frequently outperformed by movies and crime drama reruns on the other networks.

To date, The Firm has an average of a 0.7 rating in the demo and 2.10 million viewers. On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo success of shows on the network, the show has a “D-” grade — even after low viewership is taken into account.

On the positive side, NBC’s deal for The Firm is unique and a bit more like the one the network had for Merlin, the supernatural drama produced by the BBC.

Sony and eOne partnered to produce The Firm, primarily for the overseas market. Thanks to pre-sales and Canadian production tax credits, the cost of producing the series was already paid for and NBC was able to pick up the show for a greatly reduced licensing fee, just like any other secondary buyer.

Not surprisingly, The Firm won’t be back on NBC (according to TVWise) because the network has opted not to renew its deal with Sony and eOne. The series could continue to be produced for other markets however and even possibly be picked up by a cable channel here in the US. There’s been no word on the show’s fate beyond NBC so, for now, we’ll have to wait and see.

There are 22 episodes in the first season of The Firm and tonight’s marks the 17th. Right now, the finale is slated for June 23rd. If a second season isn’t going to be produced, hopefully the last episode will supply enough closure for the few million faithful viewers who’ve kept watching.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC isn’t continuing the show? Would you watch on another channel or purchase season two on DVD?

Deirdre November 10, 2012 at 9:55 am

This was so far the best show produced recently.
It’s a shame the ratings were that low. I personally think it wasn’t enough marketing, but the serie was great.
I hope other channel decides to continue it.
I’ll be waiting for season 2!

Anonymous November 8, 2012 at 10:40 pm

The Firm was my favorite show!! Another network has to bring it back

Suzanne November 6, 2012 at 9:40 pm

We never saw this series on TV but purchased it on DVD in a retail store after it aired. We should have looked up whether there was a season two before getting caught up in the plot line. We watched the entire season and enjoyed it quite a bit. How disappointing that there was no real end to the plot line. Wish producers would reconsider a season 2 and resolve the conflict rather than leaving it up to viewers to resolve creatively in their minds.

Stephen Jay November 6, 2012 at 10:07 am

I absolutely hate it when I get engrossed in a show, and then it is cancelled. If it had poor numbers from the start, why didn’t they just cancel early on and avoid disappointing viewers. Meanwhile we are destined to watch all those so called reality shows- now THEY are crap tv.

young November 5, 2012 at 10:50 pm

i love the firm, i hope that has season 2.

Jessica November 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Im greatly disappointed. This was my favorite new show and I couldnt wait each week to watch it. I would definitely watch future seasons. Bring it back!

Cheryl November 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm

We are very disappointed in NBC cancelling the show. We could not wait for the next week to air we were so into this series. It was well done and kept you guessing what would happen next. I would love to see it back for another season either with NBC or another network.

Therry November 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm

OMG! I can’t believe it! I love that show and kept me on my toes all season long!
I would love to see it back on, I would watch for sure.
Sad to read about the coming season being cancelled.

Cindy November 3, 2012 at 4:13 pm

We are very disappointed, it was the best show that’s been on tv in a long time. If NBC had done a better job with the time slot & marketing it would have been a huge hit. Sure hope another network picks it up.

Mike November 2, 2012 at 7:21 am

The Firm has been a favorite work out video for us (the action detracts us from the monotony of the treadmill), and we would definitely watch it if a second season becomes available.

Elizabeth November 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm

My honey and I were glued to the TV when this show came on..I cannot believe it is canceled.. I hope another network picks it up..

Caroline Jami October 31, 2012 at 11:09 am

The firm kept me on my sit for a whole two days. Its an absolutely captivating drama that allows all family viewing. Can’t wait to get a hold of season two regardless of what channel they are showing it on.

Jeff October 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I completely agree with poor marketing and time slots. this was a high quality show, and my whole family is greatly dissapointed! It is a-lot better than most of the crap they offer now.

Patrick October 29, 2012 at 11:56 am

Perfect example of poor marketing by NBC and equally poor positioning of the show in the network’s weekly schedule. The Firm IS one of the best shows to come out of network production in years. One of the Cable’s should see that and wrest it from the hands of the now clearly incompetent crew at NBC.

Slade October 29, 2012 at 8:45 am

We always looked forward to watching this. Was frustrating when they would hit and miss and not be consistent with the showings, maybe this is why it was low in numbers? WE love it and could hardly wait until the next one. We like the way it was put together and always kept us on the edge of our seats…What a disappointment!!! One of the best we have seen since 24!!