The Gates: ABC TV Show Cancelled; Stars and Writers React and Thank Fans

The GatesAs expected, ABC has cancelled The Gates after one season on the air. The ratings certainly didn’t dictate a second season and a couple weeks ago, series star Frank Grillo said that he’d heard unofficially that the show wouldn’t be back.

Though even actress Lindsay Lohan wanted to see it return, it’s now been confirmed that The Gates has indeed been cancelled. Some of the people connected with the show have tweeted about the series’ passing.

From the show’s Twitter feed comes, “We would like to thank our followers for sticking with us through this great journey.”

Gates creator Richard Hatem wrote simply, “Thanks to everyone who loved it. DVD set to be released…someday?”

Consulting producer and writer Robert Hewitt Wolfe tweeted, “Thank you to #TheGates fans, crew & cast for a great run. It was a blast. Seriously some of the best fans ever.” He later posted, “4 sale, lux devlpmnt/incrprtd town w/ upscale owners, prvt police/fire, exclnt school, occasional mysterious death”

Colton L Haynes wrote, “Was a great/fun experience and thk u all for coming along for the ride!. He followed that up with, “THE GATES cast and crew: thk u all for the good times! Learned alot and had a great summer with u all! Cheers to the future!” and posted this photo with #ripBrettCreski. Wolfe responded, “Sob… Too young!”

The GatesJames Preston looks forward to the future, tweeting, “No worries gates fans follow us on to our new exciting roles!” Travis Caldwell echoed that sentiment, saying, “its all good more to come from all of us !!!”

Justin Miles wrote, “We gave em a hell of a run, though…” Janina Gavankar feels similarly, saying, “Sad. But we’re incredibly proud of what we made.”

Young McKaley Miller tweeted, “thank you guys for all the support!! seriously, y’all are awesome!! #TheGates is officially over, but it was such a great experience!! TY :)”

Andrea Powell wrote, “Thanks for all the love, fans of #TheGates. We’ll miss you! :-*”

Rachel Dipillo wrote, “We had a fun ride on The Gates. Love everyone I worked with and can’t wait to see what you do next! #RIPLEXIEWADE”

Grillo tweeted, “Thanks to all of you for supporting us. It made the whole thing worth it. Lots more fun stuff coming.” Grillo also said that he’d share what would have happened in the second season. After son Charlie is saved, Nick and his family would have stayed in the Gates community. The Radcliffs decide to take a break from one another. Leigh becomes the head of the police and Nick takes over the Gates board and oversees the community.

What do you think? Are you sorry that The Gates won’t be back for season two? What would you have liked to see happen?

ag September 29, 2012 at 2:40 pm

cant believe i got so hooked and didnt even know it was from 2 years ago. thanks netflix for giving me a season of good sh** and then nothing. or rather thanks abc. bring it back!!!!

petula holl September 29, 2012 at 11:44 am

i am seriouslyyyy disgustedd that this show will neverrr return,, how can you leave an episode showing how the son is now evil,, devon is wanted by everyyyy vamp and the coachhh hmmm thought he was a wolf but last episode he had fangs, what’s up with that. YOU NEEDDDDD TO BRING THE GATES BACK SOONNNN. PLEASEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Maz September 25, 2012 at 12:28 pm

After Friends tv show, this was the only show which I liked. I miss it already. Channel should have given it another try considering what happened with Star Trek.

KW September 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Bummer! Just found the show on Netflix and watched all the episodes over two days. At first it was just to deal with my Vampire Diaries fix, but the more I watched, the better it got. Wish it was coming back for another season!

Louise Barton September 23, 2012 at 3:55 pm

What a great show! Impossible to believe it’s not coming back. Bad Neilson ratings? When will these TV producers learn that Neilson doesn’t count with viewers. The first season of Star Trek was cancelled for alleged bad ratings and look at it now!
At least give us reruns of the episodes that did air.

miranda lovelace September 15, 2012 at 8:41 pm

oh my gosh! I can not believe thiers not going to be another episode of the gates, seson 2, I watched it on netflix all 13 eps. over and over. I’m a huge supernautral fan. Are they any way another station would agree to airing a second season something like the CW they always welcome shows of this kind: supernatural, vamp. diaries, charmed, buffy, smallville, secret circle, ext……. What can the gates fans do to make this happen? Who do we need to talk,write,e-mail. Look at the shows on T.V now some are so rediculous. I could make a better show here at my house with a camera of my own. Come on people, Gates fan lets do something..BIG! to get attetion of who will listen season 2 is a must!!!! e-mail me anytime we have to do something! All anybody can do is say no! LETS GO GATES FAN!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Sigma September 15, 2012 at 6:28 pm

EXCELLENT SHOWS GET STAKED. VIEWERS ARE LEFT TO WATCH THE ASHES.

The women of The Gates are like amped up Desperate Housewives, if they were witches, werewolves, and vamps, but valuable lessons -about priorities- were presented. Oh, Miss Rhona Mitra, though art the loveliest “vampiress” ever. Episode 10 had me cheering for her as Claire. Also, We never got to see the young sucubus, the young witch, the bushy wolf girl -who became prettier, and less “tom boyish” by the episode- or the young police officer get into hot water. The guys leaping out of their pants to become werewolves was AWESOME! Why do shows such brilliant shows as The Gates, Kyle XY, and V -which ended abruptly TWICE, within 20 years- have to be cancelled? Then we’re left with crapt to watch. Thanks (sarcasm) for that.

Saint September 10, 2012 at 8:10 am

I just recently saw this show this past week and I could not get off the couch because it was so enchanting. It is truly a shame that there will not be a second season, because as soon as I finished the first season I went online to find the second season, just to find out there will be none. I was truly sad and it wasn’t my major depression.

Jennifer September 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

I would just like to say that i think the gates was awesome. I found it on Netflix and fell in love from the start. I have my entire family watching it. I think it sucks that it is off the air. It could have surpassed vampire diaries and true blood. Please think about it.

Anonymous September 5, 2012 at 4:49 am

That’s how it goes just everyone STOP WATCHING TV! Seriously .. Those dumb model shows and “reality shows” are all BS! No one likes them. No one. Do everyone a favor and get all the good tv shows back and take all the mindless drama sh*t off the tv I pay for. Syfy, Amc, abc, fox and all you others need to step and let the younger generations take your jobs… Why ? .. Because your failing . We say what we like..not you . We pay to watch the crap. Just because you don’t like it or some don’t , doesn’t make it right to cancle it. And you all know everytime tou ask one of those d***muffins why they cancled an awesome show you get the”we don’t have money.” or “it cost more to make it that it was making.” bull ! Stuffed shirts!

Walter September 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I have to say that I am sorry to see this show end this way too! I only heard about it through Netflix. Great show, interesting plots, and neat special effects! Bring on a second series!

Ldyzia September 3, 2012 at 2:28 am

I found this series on netflix.. This is an awesome show. I am so sad to see that it was canceled after the first episode. I had never heard of this series before. I think ABC could have given it more advertising which would have resulted in more viewers.. I would love to see the series pick up again somehow.. For other viewers who are interested in a current ongoing vampire series similar to this one and with lots of action and a great plot, I would advise you to watch “The Vampire Diaries”.. Season 4 starts again october 2012 and I cant wait!!!

Kiesha September 2, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I am SOOOOO PO!! Loved the ending but it was such a cliff hangerrr… I hate it when shows end that way and then goes and cancel it wtf. Like really if they had spent half their time in advertising this show back then as good as they planed the show The Gates would be on season 3 by now, I didn’t even hear about this show until just a few days ago.. and that was by my teacher on how much he loved ,….-_- (so irritated)

Emiley September 2, 2012 at 8:57 am

I woul like to see more o everything i love hat show the whole vampire and were wolf thing<\3 sucks they wont be showing it anymore , well like they say all good things come to an end.

Anonymous August 29, 2012 at 9:03 am

What!!!! How is it that the shows that are the most interesting get canceled ? I’ve heard about the show and couldn’t find it’s air time in my city , only to watch the episodes on netflix and get to the end and I’m screaming for more . PLEASE I NEED TO SEE WHAT CHARLIE HAS BECOME