The Playboy Club: Cancelled

The Playboy Club  canceledAnd we have a winner — or a loser, depending on how you look at it. NBC has announced that they have cancelled The Playboy Club after just three episodes due to low ratings.

The new TV series revolves around patrons and staff of the Playboy Club in Chicago during the 1960s. The cast includes Amber Heard, David Krumholtz, Eddie Cibrian, Jenna Dewan-Tatum, Laura Benanti, Leah Renee Cudmore, Naturi Naughton, and Wes Ramsey.

The show debuted on September 19th to a very disappointing 1.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.02 million viewers. It was a distant third in the timeslot. The following week, Playboy Club dropped 19%, to a 1.3 and 3.97 million.

Per the fast affiliates, last night’s episode dropped further still to a 1.2 rating and just 3.39 million.

The Playboy Club and NBC have been hit with sharp criticism from the PTC but ultimately it’s the ratings that did this series in. NBC has announced that they are cancelling Playboy Club effective immediately. They’ll fill the timeslot with repeats of Prime Suspect, the peacock network’s under-performing Thursday night drama. On October 31st, NBC will premiere Rock Center with Brian Williams in the Monday night timeslot.

It’s believed that seven episodes of Playboy Club have been produced but it’s unclear if the production team will be allowed to finish the 13 episode order or when/if NBC will release any of them.

UPDATED: You can follow all of the cancelled or renewed NBC shows here.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Playboy Club has been cancelled? Why do you think it failed to attract a bigger audience?

j October 10, 2011 at 9:28 pm

i personally love this tv sitcom i cant wait to watch it every monday. i too record till later but love the show so dissappointed that it wont be on anymore i hope there will be a way to get to the full season eventually. i cant bleieve a show like this could be cancelled when u look at half the other crap on tv these days just filling up empty slots like really there goin toshow repeats of another show and thats supposed to get more ratings??like commin its been 3 episodes u havent even given it a chance a the stroy line is awesome.

jessica October 10, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I AM SO DISSAPPOINTED! IM 22 AND I LOVED THIS SHOW! I WAS HOOKED AND DIDNT REALIZE TIL RIGHTNOW THAT IT WAS CANCELLED! BECAUSE I WAS GOIN TO AUTO-TUNE IT! I WAS HOOKED! UGH BRING IT BACK!!!

Jennifer October 10, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Playboy Club was a really good show. Too bad it wasn’t given a chance. There is not that much on that I enjoy, so I am sad to see a good show go. Get some brains NBC, you had something good there, and from the looks of it, I am not the only one who feels that way.

Tureia October 10, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Loved the show. I watched the first episode on my on demand and was hooked. Frankly, I don’t believe the excuse of poor ratings as a reason to cancel the show. I mean for pete’s sake it came on mondays at ten at night. I record and watch the next day. NBC get some balls! And tell people you will show what you want! This is America.

Donna October 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm

You put your show up at the start of the football season and Monday night football, that is why you didn’t get the audience. I thought it was great and hope that you will try another night. Please give it another chance and at least air the episodes already taped! I love football but only turned it on during the Playboy Club’s commercial time.

W vidacovich October 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Really enjoyed the program. Also thought toe actors did a great job. Could think of a lot more programs that should be canceled.

elaine October 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Not happy about the cancellation of the Playboy series…..loved it and looked forward to watching every week….bring it back please

Elizabeth October 10, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I loved The Playboy Club. NBC doesn’ t have that many really good shows. I seldom watch NBC except for Harry’s Law. When they get a series like Playboy they should at least give it a chance. Maybe they would have a hit, given time. They quit too soon.

Stephen October 9, 2011 at 11:27 am

Thought this was a great show. Better than all the other crap on prime-time big 3.

Kitten October 9, 2011 at 9:40 am

I’m ALSO older than that precious 18-49 demographic! People who remember the Playboy clubs are likely to be older than that demographic!

Kitten October 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

I was disappointed that it was cancelled. I was looking forward to watching this series. I watched the first episode, and didn’t like the plot much. Hiding a dead body in the first episode was not what I was hoping the show would be about.

When I went to watch the second episode, my converter box couldn’t pull in the signal from NBC, so it wouldn’t show up. Even with my rotating antenna I couldn’t pull in the signal. Darn digital TV, I prefer the old analog TV better.

no! not another show cancel October 8, 2011 at 9:54 am

Series is in a dyer need of Visionary. Hey Network Have a main sponsor written into the series like “Geico” NASCAR has sponsors for driver. Once a series streamed or rented DVD’S then the series sponsors & ur symbol maybe on a pasting bus etc. GO Viral Baby Winning!
YOUR prime Live viewer or going “Extinct”. Your Audience are in a new era of the” Expanding mufti-channel television, etc. World of new Technology”, convenience of the DVR’S in ur viewers hands..The engineering of modern technology advancement will continue to advance without the Networks merge, of the two they’re surely be death penalty for a lot more series & Networks.
Working the sponsors into the series would be easy. A sitcom like Two Half Men, having Charlie Sheen siting on Allen shoulder along with Geico Lizard reminding him get some INS. Having Lizard running across the bottom of the screen. Maybe next week have Lowe’s sponsor etc
HELLO! Do u think we are gonna throw away the DVR’S go back to watching live?.
When you take away so many shows from the viewers cuz of such a rickety rating system you make enemies. Is that what you want from your viewers? If your reading, you see the growing hatred of the networks. DUDE you’re in a new era! Get a good PR Man and go back to the drawing broad and Re event broadcasting.

Minnie October 8, 2011 at 6:58 am

My husband and I really liked that show. That’s how things were back in the 60′s. Maybe they should have put it on for half a season, starting in February. I hope to see the remaining episodes.

Marla October 7, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I don’t watch too much programming on NBC … now I know why. You continue to cancel shows I absolutely love. But then again, I’m not in THE 18-49 demographic.

jeanne October 6, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I really liked this show….. It’s not that there is anything wrong with it, just that something on another channel keeps people from watching it. I tape it and can’t wait till the morning to watch it. This is a big mistake !

Kembek October 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Darn! I really, REALLY enjoyed this show. But then, I’m not in that precious 18-49 demographic.