The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won’;t be back for a fourth season?

Ron Balkissoon December 3, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I absolutely loved this show. Many performances brought tears to my eyes I was just so taken by the incredible inventiveness and creativity of the performances and the versatility of the human voice. I thought it was the best program of the genre by far. I find the personalities and theatrics of the other shows judges boring and contrived. I enjoyed the sincere constructive criticism of the judges in this series. I am very sad to see it go.

cheryl December 3, 2012 at 10:18 pm

This was the ONLY singing show I truly enjoyed. I love harmony — something you don’t get in other singing competitions. The true talent that is needed for this kind of performance is much greater. This is the only show where I bought some of the music. This type of music cuts across all demographics. My 80-year-old parents, my 60-year-old self and husband, and my 20-year-old son all got into it. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

Megan December 3, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I’ve been looking forward to this show and I am so disappointed!! I never watch America’s Got Talent or The Voice. I would much rather watch the talent that was on The Sing Off. It’s just that it started in the middle of the regular season and I don’t think many people knew about it or were already watching shows that started at the beginning of the new season (which is September). It was a quality show and I’m sad it was cancelled.

CD Jorg December 3, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I really enjoyed the show, especially Ben Folds’ constructive criticism after each performance. Of any talent show I’ve ever watched, he seems to have been the best about specifically pointing out what went well, and what needed to be better, without being mean about it.

On the other hand, I never liked how the judges were the sole determiners as to who moved on. Season 1 really made me upset when one team who were really not that good made it into the second round over two teams that had easily outperformed them, probably to avoid accusations of religious favoritism (there were two religious schools in that division).

I’ll miss the show, but I can understand that if its ratings are low, I’m only one of a few who will, and NBC should focus on more popular shows.

Tiffanie December 3, 2012 at 4:10 pm

The Sing-off was an amazing show. I am so sad to hear that it’s not coming back. I’ve been waiting for it ever since the last season ended. It showcased such incredible talent that you don’t see very often. Please reconsider and bring it back NBC.

Ann Marie Neale December 3, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I have been looking forward to the Sing Off and the wonderful judges and talent- great show for the Holiday Season! What a disappointment to see it has been canceled! This is a HUGE mistake!! :(

Bermudaone December 3, 2012 at 11:27 am

I’m really sad to hear that the sing off is not coming back…..I really enjoyed that show….it was different than the other shows because it was all a cappella which really showed the groups singing talents…..it’s pretty bad when good shows have to be determined by how much money it brings in…..Sing Off should be brought back

Benjamin Veale December 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

I’m disappointed. I watch some of the other singing shows but they mostly pass the time until the sing-off comes back on. I think that the groups show more skill and are more entertaining than any of the other singing shows. The level of difficulty is much harder which makes it far more entertaining for me. I got online again today to figure out when the next season would start only to find out that NBC cares more about numbers than quality yet again…

Mike December 3, 2012 at 3:36 am

I’m a little disappointed reading this news. The Sing Off was a refreshing change for the singing competition shows. I always work nights so I never had an oppurtunity to watch it during its scheduled time slot, but I always would find a way to watch it either through hulu or other similar sites. Most of the other singing competitions are so generic now that it wasn’t exciting to watch but to see these groups perform was amazing. Music has always been a large part of who I am. Watching the raw talent of some of these groups reminded me of how amazing music can be.

Brianne December 2, 2012 at 1:20 pm

This is ridiculous! Too many of the good shows are being canceled nowadays! All because of money! Is there anything else that is important in our society? The Sing Off was a very fun and interactive show that intrigued me every week. I could not get enough of it! The Sing Off shared so much talent that people in America have and made dreams come true. Is that not enough?

bakers December 2, 2012 at 11:00 am

Too bad! Saw Pentatonix at a sold-out show the other night in ATL– they were terrific!!! Great crowd, and very positive and happy. NBC should bring it back- even if it is a mini-contest in Dec./ Jan. Oh well. “Nothing Gold Can Stay”….

Iris December 2, 2012 at 2:46 am

Very sorry to hear the Sing Off wont be back for a season 4, they could have brought it back only for December, like on the first season it was great, like a preparation or build up for the holidays. I’ll miss it this year.

Artina November 30, 2012 at 5:26 pm

When I am having a bad day I replay last years and get in the spirit. The music was great and the heart and soul of the show was awsome. Get rid of the Real Housewives of anywhere and put The Sing Off on. Lets have a show where people respect each other and their talent. It’s like waiting for a Mc Donald’s eggnog shake and finding out they don’t make them anymore. Please anyone listening we do want the sing off back!

Amy Yates November 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm

My husband and I look forward to the sing off. It was the BEST talent show on primetime TV. I am extremely dissapointed its gone. Penatonix did however set the bar way high for new talent. Bring it back!!! We look forward to the emotions brought forth during each groups journey.

Jennifer November 29, 2012 at 1:31 am

I loved this show too! The talent was so much better and consistent than other talent shows. I’ve been waiting for it to come back this season. I’m disappointed that there is less and less room these days for clean, family oriented shows. Bring back the Sing Off!