The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won’;t be back for a fourth season?

Shea R. December 6, 2012 at 11:42 am

bummed about this. was looking forward to sharing this show with my fiancee. I thought the show had a good feel about it, and this last season had some of the best judges on a singing show, with actual advice and knew how to give positive critique

Barbara December 6, 2012 at 8:51 am

I am so dissapointed. I just went online to see when the show would be coming on. I have to say that I watch most of the singing competitions but I enjoy the sing off the most. They should rethink their decision. There are so many shows on tv that I can’t believe stay on from season to season. Why not give this show another chance. It really is great! I am actually listening to one of their christmas albums at this very moment. As much as I enjoy the cd’s I enjoy seeing the competition on TV more.

Chas December 6, 2012 at 6:33 am

My partner and I love this show. We set the dvr to record it and never missed one performance. We will miss it so much. It was the only performance show that we watch. Please bring it back.

Fiona December 6, 2012 at 12:22 am

I am so disappointed. This show was awesome & it allowed these very talented people to shine for all to see. NBC, you should reconsider. There are too many fake “reality” shows out there, this was truly a showcase for gifted people. One suggestion, lose Nick Lachey. He’s not a great host.

Jason December 5, 2012 at 10:29 pm

The Sing Off in my opinion was the most talented singing competion on tv and I watch them all you should give it great consideration to bringing it back. Also American Idol and X-factor are a joke compared to Sing Off. Anybody who can create musical instument sounds with thier voices and harmonize at the same time is a true talent in the world so BRING IT BACK!!! Once America watches this show they will be amazed at the caliber of talent presented on this show

Jason December 5, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Cindy December 5, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Man what a shock I was looking forward to sit and watch the show the Sing Off I love the show. The show is better then American Idol and Americas got talent Sing Off doesnt dragg for ever it keeps you interested who is going to stay or go. I was really gearing up to watch The Sing Off. I think you made a big mistake cancelling this show. It is the best of the best. Please bring back The sing off especially at Christmas Time.

lee benn December 5, 2012 at 2:31 pm

So sad to hear the Sing-off was cancelled. Was really gearing up for it, its been my lead up to Christmas! What do i do now? Endure The Voice, no thanks. Will miss it. Bring it back NBC!!!!!

Kenna December 4, 2012 at 9:36 pm

So very sad it is not coming back this year. It was great to see such wonderful singing and true talent, please bring it back!!

balcyn December 4, 2012 at 9:12 pm

The loss of the Sing-off is indeed sad. While the panel judging the groups was mediocre the groups were very entertaining. We do not get the harmonies that were part of the Sing-off through any other program. This program is far superior to the gimmicky shows that now appear popular (American Idol & The Voice).

Joshua Harris December 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm

i think the sing off should have been kept on air for atleast another season the sing off was a show with raw talent and showed America want the voice of a talented person could accomplish and gave kids inspiration to do better for them selfs and try extra activities that could keep them off streets music is one of the best ways to pass emotion to another person and the sing off did that in more ways than one everytime those kids took that stage it was like the last time they were gonna preform and honestly i think the sing off was a hell of alot better show than the voice and showed more talent than the voice will produce in every season you run it in only the three youve gave the sing off

Donna December 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm

What a disappointment. I was so ready to sit in front the television and watch the great talent that’s out there. I know that the way the music is presented may be different for the hip hoppers but there are some of us who appreciate good music. I am a 56 year old grandmother and I am really enjoying last years winners. The Pentatonixs’ Christmas songs are the bomb. Even my grandkids are singing and dancing to the songs. Please bring back the sing off. It’s great exposer for the little ones. It let’s them know that there’s much more than hip hop.

Sad Grandma,
Donna

Lisa December 4, 2012 at 11:03 am

My husband and I really have LOVED watching The Sing Off. It’s one of the better singing competitions. And I don’t like the voice…don’t watch it at all.

Rich Scott December 4, 2012 at 1:51 am

We are SO disappointed this show has been canceled. It was a classy family program…where the judging was constructive and not mean and cruel, the music was of such top quality, the competition was so nail bitingly close! We laughed, we cried, we clapped, we cheered, we sang along! We looked forward to a new show each week. Last season was too long…we loved the first season…it was perfect…and a great treat before Christmas. Sadly…we watch fewer and fewer programs on NBC..because we enjoy quality programming. I hope another network picks up this amazing music treat…maybe PBS?

Shea December 3, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Love the show much better than the voice and american idol. The sing off was pure singing . True voices that can sing… Please bring it BACK…