The Sing-Off: NBC Contest Returning for Season Two

The Sing-OffDespite achieving mediocre ratings during the show’s first season, NBC has decided to give The Sing-Off another try.

A competition for a cappella groups, The Sing-Off ran as a four episode special event in December. It began with a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.89 million viewers. The ratings dropped after that but then bumped back up to a 2.3 rating and a viewership high of 7.28 million viewers for the season finale.

Considering NBC’s current state, those numbers are good enough to bring the show back for another round. It surely doesn’t hurt that the series is relatively inexpensive to produce.

Viewers shouldn’t try to set their DVRs just yet though. NBC’s executive VP of alternative programming, Paul Telegdy, told TheWrap, “We’ll be bringing Sing-Off back. We don’t know when. But we believe we’ve found a little gem, one we can buff up and make better.”

What do you think? Are you glad to hear the show’s coming back? Is it better or worse than other reality competitions? Should it come back as a regular series or another special event?

UPDATE: It’s been confirmed that the show will return for the 2010-11 season with an eight episode competition.

Carolyn November 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

Absolutely! This is a wonderful reality show with a positive spin on vocal performance. I utilized it in my music classes last year to show students that every voice counts in an ensemble and I plan on doing the same this year. It’s a nice departure from the computer enhanced vocals heard on the radio. Bravo to NBC for bringing it back!!!

Michelle November 22, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I loved Season 1. Some of the performances were awe-inspiring. Literally, I would get goosebumps. Like the three groups performing “Still haven’t found what I’m looking for” by U2. I can’t wait to see what Season 2 will bring since I am sure many of the groups performing this season are the ones who said to themselves “Well, we can do better than that!”.

David T November 19, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I thought the show was excellent, and although i was definitely voting for NOTA, I enjoyed listening to all the contestants. So much talent on that stage last year, I can’t wait to hear the new voices. KEEP THE SHOW RUNNING.

J November 14, 2010 at 12:12 pm

BRING IT BACK! We need more shows like this than the “reality” ones which are only set-up anyway. This is REAL and these people have TALENT! it gives youth something to look forward to and something to look up to!!!

Phil November 13, 2010 at 3:10 am

I loved the show. I thought it was great. NBC needs to bring it back. Im all about competition. And with this show it brings out the personality that I like in the people in the groups that are performing. It seems more personal. But Nick needs to host it again. Cause hes HOT.

Anonymous November 12, 2010 at 10:23 am

Best reality show ever

Frank October 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm

The show last year was amazing! Every group was very good, but Nota was fantastic! NBC needs to advertise the show well in advance if they expect better ratings. I found the show by sheer luck surfing the channels. I called family and friends to turn the show on, and they all loved it. I still watch last years show on Utube. It was that good.

Kitty October 13, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Can’t wait for the new season of Sing Off!!! Please bring it back soon!!!!

angela harris and michael revelle October 1, 2010 at 3:09 am

I love the sing off i cant wait for another season to run!! BRING IT BACK ASAP!!!!!

Anonymous September 28, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Can’t wait…one of the best new shows since Glee!!!!!!

Patricia September 27, 2010 at 7:56 am

The Sing-off made my holiday last year. I was so amazed. So so so so so so so so so so so happy to see it is coming back for a second season as well

Anonymous September 24, 2010 at 12:30 pm

The show was better than all the other so called reality shows that are out there. They should dump shows like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars and put some Reality back into Reality TV for people that actually know something about music!
Looking forward to the second season and many more!

Anonymous September 22, 2010 at 6:37 pm

CAN’T WAIT FOR THE RETURN OF THE SING-OFF!

Vanessa September 10, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Why would they bring such a low buget boring show back for another season? I would rather watch re-runs than Nick Lachey stuffed into a child sized suit with his high pitch, monotone voice or Nicole and the other 2 geeks judges giving their 2 cents.

Anonymous September 17, 2010 at 11:40 am

Geez…why don’t you tell us what you really think…

angela harris and michael revelle October 1, 2010 at 3:11 am

so dont watch it…no one would be forcing you so keep your low budget comments to yourself..hater! im sure a no talent hater non the less!

Nyesha October 3, 2010 at 6:45 am

That show was so good. I think it’s better than boring ass American Idol. I really test the singers to see if they can deliver without back up music, and they are great. NOTA tha BEST. Hope to see you guys on season two for a surprise performance.

Angel September 10, 2010 at 7:24 am

YES!!!!!!!!!!! I wish that I could buy the last season on DVD…my husband was deployed and I didn’t record it..wish that he could see how AMAZING NOTA was!!!! Can’t wait to find out about season 2!

Jonathan September 15, 2010 at 10:39 am

You can buy season 1 on itunes actually! look it up! It’s awesome to own..
America ISN’T READY for season 2! It’s gonna rock everyone’s socks off… YOU WAIT!