Worst Week: Bornheimer Commits to ABC Series, Is Week Cancelled?

Worst WeekComic actor Kyle Bornheimer has found a new job. He’s signed on to a new series for ABC, along with Alyssa Milano and Eric Christian Olsen. What does this mean for Worst Week? Is it cancelled?

Worst Week is a quirky, single-camera sitcom that follows unlucky Sam Briggs (Kyle Bornheimer) as he tries to make a good impression on the family of his pregnant fiance. Though he’s very well-intentioned, things just go from bad to worse when Sam’s around. A remake of a UK sitcom, the regular cast also includes Erinn Hayes, Nancy Lenehan, and Kurtwood Smith, with recurring roles played by Scott Beehner, Nick Kroll, Jessica St. Clair, Hayes MacArthur, Parris Mosteller, RonReaco Lee, and Brooke Nevin.

Bornheimer and company premiered on September 22, 2009 and followed CBS’ most-watched sitcom, Two and a Half Men. The sitcom debuted to 10.87 million viewers and a 3.8/8 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The following week, it dropped to 8.96 million and a 2.9/7. The season, which finished on February 16th, averaged 9.83 million.

Those numbers look good on their own but aren’t as impressive in light of the size of its lead-in. Week typically loses about 35% of Men’s audience. Last season, both The New Adventures of Old Christine and Rules of Engagement retained a larger percentage and the network seemed barely satisfied with that.

Now that Week has completed its freshman season of 15 episodes, Rules has returned to the post-Men timeslot. A more logical lead-out, Rules’ return attracted 11.82 million and a 3.9/9 in the demo, significantly outperforming all but a single episode of Week.

Do you think Worst Week will be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

CBS hasn’t given any official indication about whether they’ll be renewing Week for another season but most believe it won’t be returning. With a new deal at ABC, it seems Bornheimer and the alphabet network believe so as well. Bornheimer’s still committed to Week if it returns but ABC wouldn’t cast him unless the cancellation was very likely.

In the end, the network’s decision will likely come down to two scenarios. CBS has been only moderately successful with its Wednesday night sitcom experiment. If CBS gives up on the idea, then Christine would likely return to Monday nights, killing Week.

If the network decides to keep two nights of comedy, CBS execs might renew Week or could decide to take a chance on a new sitcom. In the end, Week’s chances for season two are minimal at best. In the end, we’ll likely have to wait until May to find out if Week’s luck has run out.

Catherine Inocencio November 12, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I think Worst Week was one of the funniest sitcoms ever created. My husband and I laughed out loud every time we watched and had our DVR to record every show. BRING IT BACK! Reality shows are killing TV. We need something like Worst Week to make things right again.

Laura February 1, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I loved Worst Week. I can totally relate to Sam. (I am totally that person who has unexplainable, unbelievable things happen to her.) So sad to see a laugh-out-loud show go away.

Eddie A January 31, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I’ve seen every single episode for Worst Week – and busted a gut on every single one – the best laughs ever. I think the show is genius, and far better than ANYTHING on TV… probably ever. I hope it doesn’t get cancelled; but considering how company executive high-ups are typically completely out of touch with their business, I wouldn’t be surprised. Perhaps execs should consider replacing the show’s marketing team rather than the show – duh.

Redden Finn January 29, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Laugh till you choke. Probably best for the show to have been cancelled while it was still so fresh. I watched the entire season in three days using Netflix streaming video.

Joey December 8, 2009 at 5:31 pm

I had never heard of the show until I saw it on Netflix. I’ve watched 7 episodes now and I think this is the funniest sitcom that I’ve ever seen in my life (I’m 38). I would have definitely been watching it every week had I known that it was on. They should have done a better job of promoting it. They should have put it on right before or after The Big Bang Theory and more people would have seen it. Anyway, it’s a shame that they’ve cancelled it. It really is the funniest show ever!

Mike January 3, 2010 at 9:38 am

I totally agree! Koodoos to Netflix, if it wasn’t for seeing it on there I would have never known about this wonderful show!

We have watched all 16 shows! I have never laughed so hard in my life!

Enough people watching old episodes of this show may go down as the worst mistake that CBS ever made. Shows this special only come around once in a great while.

Carla November 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm

So sad that it’s gone. This show was so funny and well written. All of the cast worked
great together and i believed it could last a long time. It’s another WRKP that was taken
off tv way to soon.

Doris November 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm

i can’t believe they cancelled it! it’s currently the best comedy show on TV!!!

Bryan October 25, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Watched the whole season on netflix.. Very funny and creative, I hope it is going to be back for more seasons.

Lee & Aimee October 22, 2009 at 8:37 pm

This show captured us as we were flipping through channels. I love funny videos of people hurting themselves in unexpected ways so I gravitated to this show immediately. It was a looked forward to fix. A subject we talked about while drinking beers on Fridays… Just a damn good show dammit. It’s hard to believe something this sideslittingly divine is getting pulled.

caleb May 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm

BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK I LOVE IT

Barry October 13, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I miss Worst Week.

Jennifer October 11, 2009 at 6:29 pm

My husband and I talked about Worst Week the other day – wondering if it would be returning. There is so little on television that causes us to laugh out loud. I cannot stand reality tv. I really do not like the whiny Old Christine show – I think I’ve watched one episode and the previews do not lure me back. Worst Week was very clever and refreshing. Shame on ABC if it is canceled.

cathy October 9, 2009 at 1:44 pm

my husband and i watched every episode and loved them all. my kids also love the show. my son ask me today when it would be back on. i look up and was disappointed to find out it maybe cancelled. please don’t cancel the show. there is not alot of funny comedy on tv now. this show is hilarious……… put it on fridays or saturdays nothing on these nights. but don’t cancel………….

domredya September 15, 2009 at 8:44 am

i have been watching sitcom for over 30 years and i must admit that this show was a rarity. any show that can bring me to tears of laughter week in and week out has to be renewed. i cant believe they will let it go by the waistside when there are worst shows out there. please cbs give it a chance. cheers took awhile to find an audience and believe me if you give it a chance so will this show