Zero Hour: New ABC Series; Cancel or Keep It?

Zero Hour cancel or keep?Last week, ABC unveiled Zero Hour, their newest Thursday night TV show. Will this one be quickly cancelled like Last Resort or will it become a long-running hit like Grey’s Anatomy? Cancel or keep it?

On Zero Hour, the publisher of a myth/conspiracy magazine searches for his missing wife and becomes pulled into a compelling mystery that has world-wide implications and goes back centuries. The series features the talents of Anthony Edwards, Addison Timlin, Carmen Ejogo, Dylan Baker, Jacinda Barrett, Michael Nyqvist, and Scott Michael Foster.

The debut of Zero Hour drew a 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.38 million total viewers. It was in a distant third place in its timeslot and was the worst regular season premiere that ABC has ever had. Ouch.

Of course, trouble in this timeslot is nothing new for ABC.

In 2010, they tried My Generation. This ensemble drama debuted to just a 1.6 demo rating and was pulled off the air in two weeks.

In 2011, the new Charlie’s Angels debuted in the same timeslot to a 2.1 demo rating. It was cancelled within weeks and production was shut down. ABC aired seven of eight produced episodes.

This past September, Last Resort premiered to a 2.2 in the demo and the numbers quickly tumbled in the ensuing weeks. The show was cancelled but the cast and crew were able to wrap things up by episode 13.

So, unless the ratings for Zero Hour quickly climb, it seems this show is doomed to be quickly canned as well. A second season seems out of the question but hopefully the alphabet network will at least release all 13 installments.

But, what do you think? Do you like Zero Hour? Should ABC stick with it or pull it off the air already? Cancel or keep it?

Angela March 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! Wife swap in place of Zero Hour! Finally, ABC has a good show that I like very much! I’m sick of Reality shows~~~ COME ON ABC listen to ALL of the people who like the show, not just your ratings!

Tom March 4, 2013 at 1:52 pm

KEEP IT….I DVR it….You have to THINK as you watch it !!!!!!

Nancie March 4, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I just wrote a comment Love the show was thinking about ER and Dr. Green , Anthony Edwards is a great actor andwas so pleased to see him back on TV, Come on really your going to cancle this great show come onnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!

Nancie March 4, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Please Please keep it, great show Better then most things on TV. I think Green is a Great Actor Loved him in ER, Was glad to see him come back to TV Don’t take it offffff.

JD March 4, 2013 at 1:29 pm

ABC is Making A BIG MISTAKE with this cancellation.

Ginette March 4, 2013 at 1:20 pm

PLEASE KEEP THE SHOW!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! Thursdays have become my favorite TV day because so many good shows come on from 8-11p. I like Big Bang Theory but I’d much rather watch something more interesting that gets my mental wheels turning. There are a lot of crappy shows on this season, so for them to be canceling one that is really good SUCKS!!!! KEEP THE SHOW OR AT LEAST WRAP IT UP TO WHERE WE CAN FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS!!! DON’T JUST LEAVE US HANGING!!!!

mark March 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm

abc exec’s are fools. if the kids in america dont watch something then they pull it .heaven forbid they show something that makes you think!

Debra Morgan March 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I’m 60 & I love this show! Reminds me of DeCoded on the History channel. HATE reality shows & thats all the networks are interested in because they’re CHEAP! Longing for GOOD shows again!!!

Mary March 4, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Have they not heard of DVRs or TIVO? And who at ABC, a network that supports drunken idiots in hot tubs (Bachelor, ette, pad) be a credible decision maker. And, to make matters worse they aren’t going to show ALL the episodes (maybe later?) and will show reruns of shows I’m not watching. They did this with Body of Proof… and here it is back, they did it with Scandal… and I had already given up on seeing any more so when they snuck it back in, too late. And, now, something that makes you use your brain more than your libido… with NOTHING on on Saturdays?!? Perhaps that why no one dare get invested in a show on ABC.

bud foor March 4, 2013 at 11:56 am

fix the show. listen to what your viewers is saying is wrong with the show fix them..then let the audience grow. afterall sienfeld wasn’t no.1 it took 2 or 3 yrs to become no.1.

Valerie Carluccio March 4, 2013 at 11:55 am

ABC sucks. Instead of cancelling it right away maybe you should just MOVE it so it’s not up against Big Bang Theory and American Idol??? It never occurred to you to try a new timeslot FIRST?

Mike March 4, 2013 at 11:43 am

I liked the show… we as a family only watched 2 shows regularly and it was “NCIS” on Tuesday and “Zero Hour” on Thursday….. ugg….bring it back.

Mike March 4, 2013 at 11:44 am

Kinda reminded us of a familiar “Davinci Code”.

Gwen Arnett March 3, 2013 at 7:50 pm

This was the best new show that I have seen in a long time. It should be given more time, and be placed in a better time slot. Please give it a chance.

bailey March 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm

keep it please. give us a puzzle and let us try to solve it for a change.

John Dodd March 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Zero Hour is a great show. Too bad it is being cancelled “primarily” because it was given a tough time slot – Thursday 8pm against “Big Bang”, “Two and a Half Men” on CBS and “Vampire Diaries on CW. Have seen this scenario before. Hope another network picks it up. It is a thought provoking and mentally stimulating program. It’s too bad the majority of American viewers prefer comedy and vampire romance/drama.