666 Park Avenue: Cancelled Because of One Million Moms?

666 park avenue cancelledIt was revealed yesterday that ABC had decided not to order any additional episodes of 666 Park Avenue. The show may not be technically cancelled but all acknowledge that it won’t be back. Thankfully all 13 episodes that have been produced are expected to air.

Before the show even premiered, One Million Moms (a site started by the conservative American Family Association) urged their readers to write to ABC to “strongly encourage” the network to cancel their plans to air the program. “Let them also know you are prepared to join thousands of other voices in urging advertisers to place it on their ‘do not advertise’ list and consider pulling all ads from the ABC network in protest.”

A later post lists some of 666 Park Avenue’s sponsors and encourages readers to email them in protest directly; Johnson & Johnson, Egg Beaters (ConAgra Foods), KFC (YUM Brands), Subway, Revlon, Colgate Total (Colgate-Palmolive), and Macy’s in protest of their commercial support.

666 Park Avenue TV show supportWednesday’s post claims victory, stating that none of the sponsors of the first episodes were seen advertising on later installments. The post urges readers to email their distaste for the program to other sponsors; Petco, Clorox, Outback, Dyson, Dairy Queen, and Red Lobster (Darden Restaurants).

While it was most likely just poor ratings that sank 666 Park Avenue, do you think that the protests to the network and their sponsors influenced ABC’s decision? Share your thoughts below.

Canceled and renewed TV show

167 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Anonymous says

This show has a lot of potential. Its like watching a newer version of The Twilight Zone. The storylines can be endless like the person be stuck in a long corridor. That was creepy, but suspenseful.

2. Jonathan says

I don’t understand why they have a problem with the show ? What is so wrong with it ? I saw nothing offensive in any of the episodes I’ve seen so far !

3. says

Loved that show!!!! And I so stressed from having a sick hubby and dealing with financial stress and medical horror. And this took my mind off it for 1 hr;) gave me a break was like Rosemary’s baby,sort of.I hate these other shoes GLEE and GRIM,once upon a time,HONEY BOO BOO etc.(so stupid,moms let those stay on??? yesterday the music awards were x rated and should have had some stuff cut.I am a mom and g ma of 6 ages -3-20 and my kids all grown,parents should control their kids not kids in control of parents??? PLZ PUT BACK ON,THE CAST WAS FABULOUS THE STORY LINE GOOD!!!

4. says

The show itself simply sucked. That’s what killed it, as evidenced in the ratings.

What a stupid article. OMM doesn’t have the power to kill a show anymore. They just don’t have the numbers. However, this article does promote a bias against OMM that I didn’t expect to see. Bad Admin! (squirts you with a water bottle)

5. Paul says

Yeah – this is a shame. Funny how OMM doesnt have a problem with Supernatural — with all the God, angels and demon wars etc? WTF?

6. Why Watch says

One Million Moms. Why don’t you focus your effort on getting all those idiotic reality shows cancelled. Those shows definitely will dumb down your kids and teach them incorrect moral values like backstabbing, cheating, lying…. all to make some money and fleeting fame.

7. Isaura says

This is a real shame, the show was just starting to get interesting. This is one of those times where I wish another network would pick it up. Oh well.

8. Angela says

So upset that the show is cancelled. I loved it! And for the ones that take it so seriously saying that the show is demonic well get over yourselves it’s pure entertainment. Remember everyone it’s just tv and I guess those people can go back to watching their honey boo boo, teen mom, sister wives, and o yea let’s not forget intervention and the first 48. There is nothing wrong with showing people shooting drugs, having sex at 15, having multiple wives, and people getting shot and killed. Yea like this was any different. You people are absolute dumbasses.

• CHARLENE says

I LOVE THE SHOW , AS WELL AS MY CO-WORKERS AND FRIENDS . VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS . I HOPE THIS CHANGES. THIS IS T.V. AND FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. YOU PEOPLE NEED TO GET YOUR LIFE. THIS IS NOT REALITY. MANY MOVIES ARE ABOUT DEMONS AND THE DEVIL . LOOK AT THE EXORCIST… JUST A MOVIE… CASE IN POINT!

9. Tha Critic says

I’m pretty sure the title of the show put people off. It put me off. i can’t say that I’m disappointed about the cancellation. That is purely demonic.

10. Lori Bertges says

I love this show! I record it and my 27 year old grandaughter and I watch it every week. We both are VERY unhappy it will not be continuing. From this mom and this grandmother, please mind you own business million moms. No one is forcing you to watch it.

11. Craig says

The protest probably didn’t have any effect on the decision, because they have also wanted to have viewers boycott other successful shows on ABC. 666 Park Avenue is only being cancelled, because people didn’t like the show.

12. Joey says

I doubt One Million Moms really had anything to do with the cancellation directly. My coworker and I think it was mostly the poor ratings coupled with the destruction of the sets due to Hurricane Sandy. I’ll keep watching because I thought it was getting better each week. I thought Terry O’Quinn as a villain would have been an instant hit. I’m sure he’ll find a more stable project soon.

13. Kristen Howe says

From what I recall reading at theFutoncritic.com last month, both 666 Park Avenue and Last Resort have gotten additional episodes. LR is doing fine during the ratings, while 666 is struggling to find an audience. Plus, those moms should looked for the parental advisory icon with their V-chip. Now, it’s true on the same website. Both shows will air the rest of the 13 episodes.