666 Park Avenue: Cancelled Because of One Million Moms?

666 park avenue cancelledIt was revealed yesterday that ABC had decided not to order any additional episodes of 666 Park Avenue. The show may not be technically cancelled but all acknowledge that it won’t be back. Thankfully all 13 episodes that have been produced are expected to air.

Before the show even premiered, One Million Moms (a site started by the conservative American Family Association) urged their readers to write to ABC to “strongly encourage” the network to cancel their plans to air the program. “Let them also know you are prepared to join thousands of other voices in urging advertisers to place it on their ‘do not advertise’ list and consider pulling all ads from the ABC network in protest.”

A later post lists some of 666 Park Avenue’s sponsors and encourages readers to email them in protest directly; Johnson & Johnson, Egg Beaters (ConAgra Foods), KFC (YUM Brands), Subway, Revlon, Colgate Total (Colgate-Palmolive), and Macy’s in protest of their commercial support.

666 Park Avenue TV show supportWednesday’s post claims victory, stating that none of the sponsors of the first episodes were seen advertising on later installments. The post urges readers to email their distaste for the program to other sponsors; Petco, Clorox, Outback, Dyson, Dairy Queen, and Red Lobster (Darden Restaurants).

While it was most likely just poor ratings that sank 666 Park Avenue, do you think that the protests to the network and their sponsors influenced ABC’s decision? Share your thoughts below.

Canceled and renewed TV show

167 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Barbara Ann says

This mom watches the show so do 20 of my friends. The moms who don’t watch apparently don’t have anything else to do but complain and ruin an enjoyable show for others.

2. Barbara Ann says

This is so ridiculous. There are many people who love the show. Hey MOMS this show is on at 10 PM. Your children should not be watching anyway. They should be in bed. How about Living Dead and True Blood? I hope SHOWTIME OR HBO TAKES THIS SHOW. The MOMS should find something else to do with their time because apparently they have too much time on their hands. Adults can’t even watch the shows anymore that they want because they have to worry about children who should be in bed.

3. Ola says

Nooo please do not cancel this show!!!!!! There must be another season!!! I love this show my life will be incomplete without knowing what happened to Jane and Gavin and the Drake. ..I agree, I NEED CLOSURE!!!… I’m very sad :'(

4. Shelby says

That is so stupid to cancel this show, I watch it every week!! And everyone I talk to watches it too!!!! Whoever these million moms are can kiss it!! If they dnt like it simply dnt watch it

5. Amanda says

Gutted, just gutted……..really enjoyed this show. Sick and tired of this happening. This was a show that was different and everyone I know looked forward to each weeks watching. What is ABC thinking??? Crazy.

6. MMurdock says

This a great show, I’m upset it’s bneen cancelled. Let One Million Moms watch something else if they don’t like it–this mom wants to watch this show!

7. Racer Rich says

Wow I was really getting into this new series …Great story line and cast. How sad! Not the first time a good show went poof, GONE !!!

8. robycop3 says

I believe it was cancelled due to poor Neilsens and nothing else. Long as a show has enough viewers in the demographic it’s aimed at, the nets don’t care a flying farky about protestors. The sponsors largely feel the same, if enough of the right viewers see their ads.

9. Marie Sixto says

I must agree with Charlotte’s incredulity. I am aghast especially if this was due to the Million Mom march. How ironic, corporations that are more frightened of the religious right than of disappointing fans of horror… By the way we’re consumers, too. Ask the Mormon author of Twilight who has more buying power?

Please allow this show to end properly. All I ask is for closure. I teach literature and so I strongly beleive a good story even one on TV should have the opportunity to end. I would love for Charlotte and other likeminded individuals to email ABC en masse in hopes of bringing back this show.

ABC, IF YOU’RE LISTENING, PLEASE CONSIDER PRODUCING MINISERIES IN THE FUTURE INSTEAD OF MERELY GAMBLING ON A SHOW ONLY TO TURN AROUND AND DISAPPOINT THE VIEWING AUDIENCE WHEN YOU DEEM THE SHOW YOU JUST AIRED AS UNWORTHY.

HOW DO YOU EXPECT ANYONE TO TRY OUT A NEW SHOW IF THE CHANCES THAT IT WILL BE CANCELLED ARE SO GREAT?

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! I DEMAND CLOSURE. SO WHO IS WITH ME?

Let’s fight fire with fire, let’s demand closure for 666 Park Avenue!!!

10. Charlotte says

What?? I love this show!!And I couldn’t wait to see the next episode wich to my devistation has been cancelled!!!?? Why?? This was a really good show… there is nothing like this show out there… I’m VERY, VERY disapointed…