666 Park Avenue: Cancelled Because of One Million Moms?

666 park avenue cancelledIt was revealed yesterday that ABC had decided not to order any additional episodes of 666 Park Avenue. The show may not be technically cancelled but all acknowledge that it won’t be back. Thankfully all 13 episodes that have been produced are expected to air.

Before the show even premiered, One Million Moms (a site started by the conservative American Family Association) urged their readers to write to ABC to “strongly encourage” the network to cancel their plans to air the program. “Let them also know you are prepared to join thousands of other voices in urging advertisers to place it on their ‘do not advertise’ list and consider pulling all ads from the ABC network in protest.”

A later post lists some of 666 Park Avenue’s sponsors and encourages readers to email them in protest directly; Johnson & Johnson, Egg Beaters (ConAgra Foods), KFC (YUM Brands), Subway, Revlon, Colgate Total (Colgate-Palmolive), and Macy’s in protest of their commercial support.

666 Park Avenue TV show supportWednesday’s post claims victory, stating that none of the sponsors of the first episodes were seen advertising on later installments. The post urges readers to email their distaste for the program to other sponsors; Petco, Clorox, Outback, Dyson, Dairy Queen, and Red Lobster (Darden Restaurants).

While it was most likely just poor ratings that sank 666 Park Avenue, do you think that the protests to the network and their sponsors influenced ABC’s decision? Share your thoughts below.

Marie January 20, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I am very sorry this show 666 Park Avenue is not returning. I watched it every week & enjoyed it, I have been waiting for it’s return to TV & I am so disappointed that it has been cancelled.

Mary Ann Dowler January 18, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I for one at first was against 666 and after i gave in and watched
it i really enjoyed it. I think it’s wrong to take it off
just change the name and watch everyone watch it.
Kinda like the soap Dark Shadows most aren’t old enough to
remember but it was cancelled. I just hope General Hospital isn’t ONE
They have a vampire per Lucy. See how silly you are at channel 13 as my son in law says grow some. Seriously bring it back you guys have taken way to much stuff off
Take that Chew crab off very boring.

HARRISONBABY January 18, 2013 at 3:12 am

I believe it was the title that upset people, not the plot. Being a mother really does not apply in my opinion. It came on very late and little one should definitely be asleep. And for those who wonder, yes, I am a mother. Personally, I think they should have considered an alternative title.

HARRISONBABY January 18, 2013 at 3:15 am

I apologize, I forgot to add that I liked the show as well.

Mom January 17, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I am a mother and loved this show! my children are in bed by this time so I don’t understand why it would be an issue. We need more shows like this! The network should bring this show back!

Jill Ellis January 16, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Dear God…It’s just a TV show…and a good one at that! All of the channels out there….Turn it! So many options! Take a look at all of the horrible (scary) movies out there…Do you CHOOSE to go or CHOOSE not to go?

Missy January 14, 2013 at 7:04 pm

What morons….to take an episode off tv because there are some people who don’t want to watch it…um….pick up the remote, change the channel !!

Vincent Bitetti January 13, 2013 at 11:53 pm

It is getting really difficult to get attached to any network show. There is just no commitment to build an audience – and no intention to listen to the audience. Go ahead, throw the baby out with the bath water, why do you think cable is so popular. Network TV takes the risk and at the slightest bump in the road – cancelled. Cable – HBO/Showtime/AMC etc commit to their shows and market and build their audience. They even replay shows so new people can get on-board after the initial launch. What a shame, 666, Unforgetable, Emily Owens, Alcatraz – these are just a few examples of network TV taking care of “business”…

Sherri January 13, 2013 at 10:55 pm

This is my favorite show. I’ve been waiting for the new eps to air!!!! If people don’t like it they have the choice to watch something they enjoy. Don’t take our choice away! If you cancel 666 Park Ave. YOU WILL TAKE OUR CHOICE AWAY!

kalia calloway January 13, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I love love 666 Park Avenue my favorite show please dont cancel it
Those moms don’t like it they can kiss my @#%?
every sunday i get excited too see what happins in the show thanks for making it KEEP GOING IM HERE FOR U

deb January 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I really liked the show. This show came on late at night on Sunday what kind of mom’s were they the kids should already be in bed by this time. If you don’t want your children to see these shows I can understand but then you need to monitor what there watching not what adults are watching this is only one group’s view not all of America!

Bettina Rone January 13, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I absolutely love this show! Ppl should be able to watch whatever they want! Free country, so I thought!

Mike & Gina January 12, 2013 at 1:04 am

Please keep 666 Park Avenue on the air! Please!

Qubricker January 11, 2013 at 11:38 am

Why don’t these ‘concerned’ moms protest about something that REALLY matters like the criminally low ‘minimum wage’ in this country that keeps so many on poverty level with no benefits. It’s people like this and their Disney-fied view of religion and spirituality that no doubt protested about ‘GCB’ around the same time last year and helped to get that pulled; seems like anything that doesn’t align with their narrow views of how life should be lived or what ‘Christianity’ is really about brings out their ire like nothing else. You know what, if you don’t like it, don’t watch it! It really is that simple and let God or whatever worry about saving souls.

Fran January 10, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I don’t know why they cancelled the show. It was my favorite TV show as of late. What were people complaining about to make it get cancelled. Please let me know.
Thanks