666 Park Avenue: Cancelled Because of One Million Moms?

666 park avenue cancelledIt was revealed yesterday that ABC had decided not to order any additional episodes of 666 Park Avenue. The show may not be technically cancelled but all acknowledge that it won’t be back. Thankfully all 13 episodes that have been produced are expected to air.

Before the show even premiered, One Million Moms (a site started by the conservative American Family Association) urged their readers to write to ABC to “strongly encourage” the network to cancel their plans to air the program. “Let them also know you are prepared to join thousands of other voices in urging advertisers to place it on their ‘do not advertise’ list and consider pulling all ads from the ABC network in protest.”

A later post lists some of 666 Park Avenue’s sponsors and encourages readers to email them in protest directly; Johnson & Johnson, Egg Beaters (ConAgra Foods), KFC (YUM Brands), Subway, Revlon, Colgate Total (Colgate-Palmolive), and Macy’s in protest of their commercial support.

666 Park Avenue TV show supportWednesday’s post claims victory, stating that none of the sponsors of the first episodes were seen advertising on later installments. The post urges readers to email their distaste for the program to other sponsors; Petco, Clorox, Outback, Dyson, Dairy Queen, and Red Lobster (Darden Restaurants).

While it was most likely just poor ratings that sank 666 Park Avenue, do you think that the protests to the network and their sponsors influenced ABC’s decision? Share your thoughts below.

Katrina Davies March 13, 2013 at 8:00 am

I have only watched 4 episodes, I don’t find it scary in any way, maybe it’s because I can only see Terry from LOST. I am a Christian & when I discuss the show I say 999. It is a pity the show has been cancelled as it is something different, children should be asleep in bed & parents could record the shows, what a shame for all those devoted fans, watch American Horror story instead, it’s amazing. Katrina from Cardiff UK

nicole March 10, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I am so bummed this show got cancelled. my mom and i watched it every week together and we were waiting for it to come back. the fact that someone doesnt like something doesnt mean they should ruin it for everyone else.

R. H. March 1, 2013 at 3:35 am

So, just because a bunch of sad ignorant control freak moms decided they didn’t like it they thru a fit & got it taken off the air?! Huh, guess I missed the memo where we no longer have freedom to choose for our selves what we allow in our homes. Maybe those moms should just worry about their children & just not let their children watch it! If it’s the title they’re bitching about it’s actually 999 on the building on the show!

KENDALL February 28, 2013 at 9:02 am

Today is February 28th and I just found out that 666 has been cancelled. I have been waiting every Sunday for it to resume. I am really sorry that people feel that they can rule other people’s lives. This was a great high quality show and I became an adult years ago! Why not take a vote to see how many viewers want this to continue. If someone doesn’t like “The Simpsons,” they don’t watch “The Simpsons!!!!!!!!!!!” We all have brains. Let’s use them!

Anonymous February 27, 2013 at 5:38 pm

amazing show cancelled cuz of sad twats if u dont like it get a fukin grip no1 is forcing them to watch it, pissed off, im sure there are more people complaining its been cancelled so why not listen to us and ignore the sad twats and get the show back on??

Anonymous February 26, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I love the show. I don’t understand the uproar. I don’t remember anyone complaining of Rosemary’s Baby. No one is forcing people to watch it we all have free will. So why are these people trying to impose their opinions on others?

It is gripping wondering what is going to happen next. Perhaps there is also a moral here “Don’t be gready..be careful what you wish for – there is always a price to pay”.

tina walsh February 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

All children should be be asleep long before the show comes on. Why didn’t these moms protest Harry Potter?

Cheryl February 23, 2013 at 7:09 pm

These right wing christian groups should just not watch the show. I am a christian and grandmother of a 3 yr old. If you don’t want your child to watch it then tape it and watch it just as I do when you child goes to sleep. It is just a show deal with it and God never said we couldn’t watch tv shows just live your life christ like. I watch it doesn’t mean I agree or practice what they show IT IS JUST A SHOW deal with it!

Terri February 21, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I loved this show, and I am a Christian. This show was pure intertainment, nothing more. If this group wants to take a show off the air, go after the mess of reality tv, such as one of The Real Housewives or the Batchelor.

Judy February 20, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Loved this show and I am very disappointed they took it off the air. From people I talk to, there are man that feel the same as I do. It was the one show that I would stay up to watch.

Anonymous February 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I don’t know who these freaking “One Million Moms” are, but they need to shut it, turn the channel if they don’t like it, and leave the rest of us alone. Why don’t you all do the rest of us a favor and spend your time teaching your screaming kids quiet in stores and restaurants.

jaz February 13, 2013 at 3:35 am

This show along with Last resort were some of the best this season.

HANK February 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I think it was a great show for adults. Well acted with lots of mystery. The Million Moms should stick to the Nickelodeon Channel while they hug their little darlings to sleep.

Dianne Rochenski February 12, 2013 at 9:49 am

I LOVED this show. It was so different from all the other run of the mill shows. I’m a big fan of Stephen King and Anne Rice (books) so this show was perfect for me. I’m going cold turkey please bring it back .

Dinah January 21, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Loved this show and i am a mom. It doesnt matter if its scary or not its a great show and just because it has “the number of the beast” shouldnt be the reason for the show to be cancelled. My voice is just one in maybe a million but hopefully its enough to catch the eye of shomeone in show business and they will keep thos show alive. If anything HBO should buy it out that way there is nothing people can say about it. I mean look at vampire diarys there is blood and murder, look t law n order blood n murder and there isnt really that much of it on this show!!!! It makes no sence if its the title people are worried about change it who cares as long as the show stays on. Supposedly this is a free country right protest or not what gives anyone the right to tell us what or what not to watch?

– angered by stupid people.