A Gifted Man: Cancelled, No Season Two

season two Gifted Man canceledPatrick Wilson and company won’t be back for a second season. CBS has cancelled A Gifted Man, their low-rated Friday night drama.

Revolving around a talented but arrogant doctor who’s visited by the ghost of his ex-wife, A Gifted Man ran for 16 episodes on CBS. The show features the talents of Wilson, Jennifer Ehle, Margo Martindale, Liam Aiken, Julie Benz, Pablo Schreiber, Rachelle Lefevre, Afton Williamson, Eriq La Salle, and Mike Doyle.

The TV series got off to an unimpressive start back in September, registering a 1.4 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic with 9.45 million total viewers. In week two, the demo fell 14%, to a 1.2 rating.

Should A Gifted Man have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers for later episodes fluctuated up and down — even occasionally outperforming the series premiere — but were never very strong. For the show’s final few episodes, CBS moved it into the 9pm timeslot but it didn’t do as well as previous timeslot occupant CSI: NY.

The last episode of the season (and series aired) on March 2nd and was Gifted Man’s best overall series performance, registering a 1.5 in the demo with 9.70 million total viewers. On our CBS Ratings Report Card, which measures the relaive success of shows on the network, A Gifted Man had a “D-” rating right from the start.

In Gifted Man’s former timeslot, CBS tried airing episodes of reality series Undercover Boss. It performed significantly better and cost much less to produce. Gifted Man’s fate had been sealed.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Gifted Man won’t be back for a second season? Why do you think this series didn’t catch on? Did you like or dislike the “supernatural” aspect of the series?

Hannah April 15, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Yes when I heard that A Gifted Man was canceled I was mad I watched it every Friday with my grandma, my sister, and my mom

Patrick April 15, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Maybe it will be picked up by Netflix or Hulu; Great, fanciful and intelligent show. But it was obviously the CBS back office who made some serious mistakes on the placement of the show in its chosen timeslot. It had a much too upscale theme with a new age touch for a Friday night. IMHO The demographic who would truly enjoy that content is comprised of a highly active group; I don’t think we stay home very often on a Friday night.

Tamara April 9, 2013 at 12:31 am

Please, bring this back. The characters are believeable and so much what we want to see more of. Integrity, spirituality, intelligence. C ‘mon already!

Chris April 1, 2013 at 10:50 pm

typical stupidity of TV exacs. Put in a show that is clearly above the age group they are shooting for. Put it on a Friday night when none of that age group are home. Then complain and cancel because it did not do well without ever attempting a move to a better night. I too discovered this show on NETFLIX. Maybe HULU or NETFLIX will see the value in this show over the garbage and obviously CHEAP ” reality shows”.

Kay April 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm

A Gifted Man is a wonderful show… I agree with the person that said the reason it didn’t do well is because it was on CBS… I found it on Netflix also… it is a wonderful show sorry to see it go. K

v jackson March 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Why is it that the best shows are cancelled? I would say this programme is on par with The Good Wife which is a brilliant show. Anyone with half a brain cell and open mind would love this show. Please create the second series forthwith and air it in the UK. Please!!!

Tania March 22, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I discovered A Gifted Man on Netflix and absolutely love it…went online to see when season 2 was airing and discovered that there won’t be a season2. I am very disappointed! I enjoyed the show very much…great acting!! Love all the characters!

Suzanne March 19, 2013 at 2:20 am

I have been enjoying A Gifted Man so much. It is so well done and so well acted. I discovered it on Netflix and want to watch Season 2 and now I find out that it has
been cancelled. I am very disappointed.

Joel March 19, 2013 at 2:15 am

We love this show, ” A Gifted Man.” We are viewing the entire season #1 on Netflix and had no idea that this show even existed.

If it was advertised better by CBS I am sure that the ratings would have been higher and they wouldn’t have cancelled season #2.

My family enjoyed this series and wish they would bring it back because it was one of the most exciting and innovative programs to come along in a long time and it was very well acted as well.

Danielle March 6, 2013 at 10:03 pm

We can’t believe that this show will not come back, this is sooooooo good!!!
I think Friday nite was not a good nite for this kind of “spiritual ” show. We hope that they change their mind and do a season two!!!
Danielle & Jacques

New_Yorker March 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm

The series was a vehicle for peddling ‘New Age’ religiosity, and that made it a poor story line. The show otherwise was well written, acted and presented. It was somewhat unrealistic because the main character had a medical practice that would take anyone that recoginized for the skills he had into a life devoid of free time, much less all the extracurricular time he would never have wasted on some seamy storefront new ager clinic that had no money. But mant TV shows overcome preposterous themes, and succeed. Perhaps if it were more widely known at the time. I never saw it until Netflix offerred it on instant access.

Anonymous March 11, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I completely agree! I didnt know about it until netflix. I domt believe friday was the best time to show this because often people are elswhere on friday nights. A weekday would’ve been better i think. But altogether i think this was a GREAT show and i hope it will eventually come back.

Anonymous March 3, 2013 at 2:02 am

should of put it on every day like two and a half men and in there time slot. holy crap the viewers you would get .

Vanessa D. February 27, 2013 at 2:05 pm

This is really to bad. I really liked this show and was looking forward to season 2. I think it needed more advertising, not enough people knew about this show. Everyone that I have told about it and have watched it say it’s really good and their looking forward to the second season. To bad there won’t be one :-(

Kerien Estevez February 27, 2013 at 9:06 am

No way,,, I love first season,,,I was looking for season two and this is what I found,, too bad,,, it was real good..

Elizabeth February 20, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I believe it got cancelled for 2 reasons 1 not enough advertising and 2 who watches CBS anymore? This was a great show minus the sometimes annoying x-wife. I saw it on Netflix didn’t even know about it till now. It would be great for another network to pick it up or Netflix I’d definitely watch. :)