According to Jim: James Belushi Goes to Heaven on the Series Finale

According to JimLast night, ABC’s venerable sitcom, According to Jim, signed off after eight seasons and 182 episodes. The show has been performing poorly in the ratings for quite awhile but ABC just kept on bringing it back.

The reason? Well, sitcoms perform well in syndication. So, even though Jim wasn’t doing well in primetime, ABC Studios more than recoups the expenses when the episodes are rerun on cable and local stations. Similar economics have saved Scrubs.

All things must come to an end though and season eight is the end for Jim. Though ABC maintained that the sitcom could return for season nine, co-star Larry Joe Campbell revealed in December that the show’s sets had already been destroyed. Last month, the network conceded that Jim was indeed finished.

In the series finale, titled “Heaven Opposed to Hell,” Dana (Kimberly Williams-Paisley) and Ryan (Mitch Rouse) return from California for a visit and announce that they’re expecting. Andy (Campbell) and Mandy (Jackie Debatin) also announce that they’re engaged. Jim couldn’t care less and then, while everyone else is congratulating the happy couples, he chokes on a shrimp puff. Everything goes white.

Jim then finds himself walking along in the clouds. He runs into Danny Michalski (Dan Aykroyd) on a motorcycle who tells Jim that they’re both dead. Jim almost gets into heaven but is stopped at the last minutes. He must first go on trial to prove that he’s worthy. God is played by Lee Majors while Satan is portrayed by Erik Estrada.

Did Jim stay on the air too long?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

With Andy as his defense attorney and Dana as the prosecuting lawyer, Jim goes on trial. Through clips, we’re reminded about Jim’s character. His children (Taylor Atelian, Billi Bruno, and Conner Rayburn) testify for him, as does his wife Cheryl (Courtney Thorne-Smith). Unfortunately, it’s not enough. Just when it looks like all is lost, his family and friend tell God that, if he’s sent to Hell, they love Jim enough to go with him. The almighty has no choice but send him back to Earth.

Jim returns, just as Andy has successfully performed the Heimlich maneuver on him and has dislodged the shrimp puff. After he tells his family and friends about his experience, they expect him to say that he’s going to change his ways.

But Jim reasons that it’s his personality that saved him so he should never change a thing. After all, “God don’t want me. The Devil don’t want me. The way I figure it, if I never change, I’ll live forever.” He tosses another shrimp puff in the air and, just as he’s about to catch it in his mouth, the screen goes black. End of series.

Some feel that the sitcom had long overstayed its welcome. Some devoted fans are sorry to see it go. What do you think? Either way, was this a fitting series finale?

Canceled and renewed TV show

39 Comments on "According to Jim: James Belushi Goes to Heaven on the Series Finale"

Notify of

Mike
Mike
August 15, 2016 1:46 am

It was a nice family show, not to many of those left anymore

lyonslow
lyonslow
April 24, 2016 9:42 pm

The poll says that 68% of people think the show was killed too soon, but honestly, the majority of traffic this page received was likely the dedicated fan base, who posses a clear bias.

Loved the show though, had some hammy acting, but over all: it makes me happy and feel good, isn’t that really all that matters?

Anonymous
Anonymous
December 3, 2014 10:01 am

Please bring back according to Jim i loved the show it was very funny

ArkhamWrath
ArkhamWrath
June 10, 2016 10:41 am

If they don’t want back/continue According to Jim… they can make show with his kids… Ruby and Gracie 🙂

rbutler
rbutler
May 23, 2014 10:41 am

I was sad that it ended just after the twins were born! I loved that show & all the characters!

Jud
Jud
December 5, 2012 8:42 pm

I really love the serie. It was one of my moment of the week. I am a bit sad about its stop.

Gary
Gary
November 15, 2012 4:19 pm

It’s too bad a good show like George Lopez was cancelled fairly early while “According to Jim” had lousy ratings 6 of its 8 years and ABC kept bringing it back.

Belushi must have had something on someone at ABC!

lyonslow
lyonslow
April 24, 2016 9:44 pm

the article addresses this: According to Jim may have had poor numbers in prime time, but made up the money in syndication. It’s safe to assume George Lopez performed even more poorly and too few third party networks exhibited interest in picking it up

Missy
Missy
October 30, 2012 1:30 am

I love According To Jim!! I’m so sad to find out it’s off the air! I’ve been watching re-runs on FOX for like the past 6 months and fell in love with it. I just went online to find out what day/time/channel new episodes were on and I was so sad to see that it’s been canceled for over 3 years :-). Well I’ll just have to go buy each season on DVD or look for it on NETFLIX.

Jenn
Jenn
October 12, 2012 1:13 am

Loved according to Jim! Was very sad when it was cancelled

Taker
Taker
August 18, 2012 1:56 pm

F@ck ABC for canceling the greatest show. This show made laugh more than any other show. I only watched According to Jim and Family guy . And Jim was my favorite. Of course now i watch Supernatural and Walking Dead but i would definitely watch another 8 seasons of According to Jim. I bought the whole 8 Seasons and i watched every season at least 3 times. You people are crazy for hating on this show

wilmi
wilmi
July 31, 2012 2:15 pm

Vivo en Bol. y todas las mañanas antes de ir a hacer las distintas actividades vemos Acording to Jim, y en verdad es fabuloso, sony no emitió el último capítulo sin embargo aún así estamos muy complacidos con la serie. Por favor que vuelva, quizas conversar con los actores principales y pedirles lo consideren.
A proposito no siempre todos pueden votar por el programa, pero me consta al menos aca en Bolivia, todas las personas que tenemos cable vemos ese programa

wilmi
wilmi
July 31, 2012 2:10 pm

que vuelva la serie , era muy buuuuuuueeeeenaaaa.

Randy
Randy
April 14, 2012 5:42 am

Plz bring back according to jim

Connor
Connor
April 5, 2012 11:12 am

I really love this show, i would like to see more, i live in Germany and i saw according to Jim everyday, now i am like nearly crying because the show is over, i only watched season 8 & 9. PLEASE CONTINUE the show!! rebuild the set!!! best show ever!!! i learned english from that show !! <3

Nat
Nat
January 27, 2012 1:21 pm

Really good show, I love it. Now i have to wtach it on the internet.

Ed
Ed
January 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi, I was wondering if someone knew who was the singer who sang at the end of the final show of according to jim? Thanks

1 2 3