As the World Turns: P&G Still Committed to Finding New Home

As the World TurnsAs we reported a couple weeks ago, CBS’ venerable As the World Turns has been cancelled by the network after over 50 years on the air. The soap opera is set to leave the airwaves sometime in September 2010.

As you may know, TeleNext Media is the production arm of Proctor & Gamble that produces the show. They have pledged to find a new home for ATWT to keep it going. Of course, they pledged the same thing when Guiding Light was cancelled but nothing came of the efforts and the show went off the air in September.

TeleNext’s senior VP and managing director, Brian T. Cahill, tells EW that the company is completely committed to keeping ATWT going but fans can’t expect to hear anything official until the deal is done.

He said, “In order to keep productive conversations moving forward, we will not disclose details of our discussions. We know our loyal fans are eager for information, and we will make an announcement as soon as we have something to share.”

TV show supportThere have been some rumors that Lifetime is interested in picking up the soap but a representative for the cable channel has denied this.

What do you think? Would you watch ATWT if it moved to a cable channel? How about a pay-per-view channel or fee-based online access?

marilyn regan August 26, 2010 at 6:08 pm

YES I WOULD I THINK THEY SHOULD FIND A HOME FOR BOTH GUIDING LIGHT STILL AND AS THE WORLD TURNS AND KEEPS TRYING FOR BOTH SOAP ITS ISNT TOO LAKE

Carolyn Marciante August 25, 2010 at 11:21 am

I hate CBS for taking As The World Turns. This is the best soap opera next to The Young and The Restless. I wish another channel would pick them up.

HATE CBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen W August 5, 2010 at 1:22 pm

They said the same story when they were cancelling the Guiding light. I really don’t believe they had any intention of trying to find a home for Guiding Light just as they don’t for ATWT. I heard a year ago that they wanted out of the soap business. I still miss my Guiding Light, I watched for 40 years. Kudos to Y & R who now has some of the great cast of the Guiding on their show. I would love to see Kim Zimmer come to Y & R.

Donna August 4, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I will watch As The World Turns anywhere it goes!!! I still miss my Guiding Light family too. These soaps are my family too. They have been there with me thru breast cancer, losing my step-son and other people I loved, including my grandma who loved these soaps.I am 48 now and I watched them with my mom and grandma since I was a little girl. I watched these shows when I had my quadruplets and now my quads watch them with me. I always change the channel when Let`s Make A Deal comes on and once ATWT goes off I will only watch The Young And The Restless and then my tv channel will be changed to NBC. or Lifetime.

Amber August 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I have been a loyal water of the show for about 17 years, I would like for the tv daytime drama to continue online for free or even on Soapnet on cable tv, since most have low income anyways would it really be fair for those who can’t pay to watch this show pay? For me I hate to see it end which is why I am glad that some people are trying to keep it alive I just think its ridiculous that they even cancelled it anyways., LONG LIVE ATWT FOREVER>

Amber August 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I meant to say a Loyal watcher

Becca June 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Boycott CBS…..and any new programming they put in the time slots for “our” soaps.
I will not watch “Let’s Make a Deal” I’d be happy to pay a subscription online to watch Guiding Light as well as As The World Turns. Unfortunately not everyone can get Lifetime or other channels. The best way is a subscription and watch online.

Dakota June 24, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Please Direct TV, pick up As the World Turns. There is more fans than you think. Proctor and Gamble is going through with cancellation for one reason cheaper programing . So you can line your pockets , like every other greedy CEO. There is a huge fan base. Please pick up the cancelled ones!! You won’t be sorry!!!!

Mark F May 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Just wanted to add my two cents. Have watched the show for 20+ years, record it every day. Would be happy to watch it on a cable station as long as it was one that was readily available like lifetime or the like.

Wendy Barker March 14, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I don’t this soap go off tv let i like as the world turns so much i watch everyday i get home from work i record the program everyday too. So don’t go let.

Rachel Mayes March 8, 2010 at 11:45 am

I have been watching As The World Turns for about 5 years. I began watching it during a very hard time in my life and it became the one thing that I looked forward to every day. The characters are like family to me and I am very upset that it is going off in September. Please someone!!-pick it up and I will forever be thankful!

kristin March 3, 2010 at 6:18 pm

please please dont take atwt off air…all the soaps are going away…well the ones i watch anyways…take b&b off before atwt….this soap is getting so darn good…and if for some reason it does go off air please make it a better ending then GL was…make it belivable…GL ending was VERY bad!!!! please try ur hardest to keep it…that would be AWSOME if it could have went to lifetime but just find another one there is plenty of stations that it could go onto!!!

Donna March 2, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Yes I would pay to keep ATWT. I cannot lose this show. I have already lost part of my family when GL was taken away from us.

Scott February 23, 2010 at 12:01 am

yes, yes, yes I will watch, pay no matter what format, itunes is fine with me! Cable great, payperview cool, new soap chanel even better!!!

T. F. February 17, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I am writing to request that you please, please consider picking up “As the World Turns.” I have watched this show since I was 12 years old, and I am 53 now, and still enjoy the show. I can hardly wait to watch it each day. I record it while I’m at work, and am able to sometimes watch it at work. The actors on the show have become like family members to me. I lost my husband to a sudden massive heart attack a few years ago, and it has been extremely hard on me and my two daughters. As the World Turns is one of the few things that I have left that really keeps me going, and keeps my spirits lifted. Please consider it, .. it would make the a whole lot of people happy!

Contact DirecTV to pick up the show February 13, 2010 at 8:50 am

if you all want ATWT to continue, contact DirecTV to pick up the series at http://support.directv.com/app/ask. There is rumor going around that DirecTV might be interested in picking up the soap opera if more fans write to them. I and including other fans have tried to e-mail other networks to pick up the series, but they all said no or had no replies.

DirecTV is the only possible network that might consider picking up the soap.

Barbara Carney March 17, 2010 at 6:18 am

Please keep this soap on air. I am so tired of all the game shows and reality shows, these soap opera shows let us forget about our problems for an hour and watch someone elses problems.

mike kennedy May 3, 2010 at 9:04 pm

not everyone has direct tv, so imo, that isnt even an option