Eureka: Series Finale Ordered; Why Was the Show Cancelled?

Eureka canceled season sixThough Eureka remains one of Syfy’s most popular TV series, the cable channel cancelled it earlier this week. What’s even more perplexing is that Syfy announced that Eureka had been renewed for an abbreviated sixth season last week. They even issued a statement to assure viewers that they hoped to continue the show beyond that. Why was it cancelled?

Eureka executive producer Amy Berg shed some light on the move via Twitter, indicating that Syfy didn’t want to cancel the show but financially, Comcast mandated it. She said, “We are the network’s golden child in every way, except profit margins. Fact is, #Eureka is an expensive show to make. And we could not maintain the quality of our show with the cuts it would take to make us profitable for Syfy’s new parent company. Our creative execs at Syfy fought hard to keep us. Trust me, they LOVE us. We just couldn’t make the numbers work.”

The cast and crew were in the midst of filming the end of season five when the cancellation news came down. With such short notice, it seemed unlikely that they would be able to bring the show to a satisfying conclusion with such short notice.

Thankfully, Syfy has now ordered one additional episode so that, as Berg puts it, “we can end the series on our terms.” She indicated that she’s working on the series finale and it will be shot the week of the 21st.

For those keeping count, this means that there are 19 episodes of Eureka left; five more for this season and 14 for season five.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear there will be a true series finale? How would you like to see the show end?

Steve July 19, 2012 at 5:21 am

The “Big Boys” at comcast, just want another raise for their buddies. They’re not interested in Good Entertainment.

Perhaps “EUREKA” will find a better market, Comcast can’t be the only one out their.

Setup your own channel, like KERA 13, it’s public supported.

Lynn July 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I will miss Eureka! Comcast is going to destroy the SyFy channel. I know when living in Georgia I had a choice of Comcast or Dish or DirectTv, and it was easily a choice between either of the satellite providers. Comcast wasn’t even one I considered due to poor programing selections/options, quality of service– even their user menu was horrible to use and expensive for what it delivered. Maybe we will get lucky and “Bombast” will sell the show to the Canadian company ShowCase!!

Invalid Mob July 17, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I think the 1st and 5th season were the best, I’m really going to miss this one, one of the best sci-fi series ever. Damn money hungry networks :(

redpanther897 July 17, 2012 at 6:04 pm

This was one of the last shows I watched on Syfy. This one and Being Human, if Being Human is cancelled, I’m done with the channel. first they cancelled stargate sg-1 now this. The channel is imploding upon itself.

Candice July 17, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Will really miss the show. Carter was my favorite character, he could make some funny expressions! And the things that he went through! Thanks to the cast and crew of Eureka for all the great, interesting and funny moments we enjoyed. Hope the series will be picked up on another network. We still have Warehouse 13 for a while.

Lucy S. July 17, 2012 at 4:57 am

this show was one of the best sci fi’s ever. It had a new adventure & excitement every week. It was CLEAN and funney, good wholesome intertainment. this show was the only quality show of it kind.
PLEASE bring it back, even on another net work.

Carolyn Kelly July 17, 2012 at 2:01 am

I would love to see it come back on another network. It is one of the few shows that really keep you coming back. They should at least keep it alive with perhaps movies. I hate when the bottom line takes the place of quality!!

Janie Sanchez July 16, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Just another GOOD show cancelled and more junk shoved down our throats. This was a highly entertaining show I could watch with anyone without being embarassed or surprised with sex, cursing, etc. Will really miss Eureka and the excellent cast and crew that made storys believable. Just a couple of shows left – then I will quit TV watching altogether – just jusk left.

Nathan slaton July 16, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I already switched from Comcast but now they have taken away one of my favorite shows. I wish the stupid company would go under, they have no desire to do anything for their customer base. Comcast is looking for profits and that is it!

Betty July 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I am very unhappy that the decision was made to end a show that was fun to watch with good actors and interesting story lines. I watch syfy because they have the kind of shows I like and then you take them away. Not happy about your reasons.

Brryer, Chance L. July 16, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Iwould of liked to see the season to go out with answering all the the question that have gathered up through out the episodes. One of the questions i would of like to know is on the first episode when Carter and Zoe first came to town they saw them selves in the sheriffs jeep going into town and then on the season finale they see them selves going into town as they where heading out of town.

Tom July 16, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I think that what syfy and comcast are doing is nuts taking off a show like Eureka they would have to be nuts. ok fine you want to bring back warehouse 13 fine i like that twilite zone type of show i use to watch it but lost girl and Alpha’s i can do with out it make we want to stop watching syfy and jet rid of my comcast cable and switch to something else and to all the excuitives if all you care about is the money going into your pockets then you are no better then a politition!!!!

Terry Mitchell July 16, 2012 at 7:06 pm

You would know if Comcast has a handle in it. It will die like its poor internet and cable line. They could use real tech’s to work for them like in Eureka. When it comes to talking about too expensive well. Greedy Bastards like Comcast will eventually flop. Good Wish.
Comcast Cable is cheaply, repetitive, and poor quality in most locations, yet their
prices rise. As much as they charge for their lousy service you would think the price for financing Eureka would be easy. But they of course are cut from the same mold as the Greedy Bastards like the Mitt Romney Group..The company is a fraud..Selling what they call high speed internet when it really is the same for all their customers. But when you pay the right people. You can steal from people with no problem.
Thanks Comcast..Next time keep your greedy, cheap hands off of a sci-fi channel.
Thanks to the writers of Eureka for a great 5 seasons of family entertainment.
Comcast Users pray that the Dish gets its act together and all can switch to a better quality of product.

Tony De John July 16, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Once in a while a show comes along that is a unique combination of intelligence, humor, character development, suspense, and escapism. “Eureka” has been such an enjoyment. It shouldn’t always have to be about money, especially when one sees all the mediocre drivel that are on a lot of shows which mainly feature mean spirited people, along with sex and violence, showing the more negative side of the human condition !!

Greg July 16, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Well, I for one am going to miss this show. Some of the new shows like “Lost Girls” is not good entertainment, or family value. It seems that when a show is family orienented it is time to cancel it. I also hope another Network picks it up.