Ghost Whisperer: Staying Cancelled, No Season Six on ABC

Ghost WhispererA staple of CBS’ Friday night schedule, ratings for Ghost Whisperer have dropped quite a bit over the season. Last week, the network surprised many viewers by cancelling the TV show after five seasons. The blow was softened when it was learned that the series might get a second chance on ABC. The alphabet network has now apparently passed.

Starring Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ghost Whisperer began in September 2005 and ran for 107 episodes. The series’ regular cast has also included David Conrad, Christoph Sanders, Jamie Kennedy, Camryn Manheim, Aisha Tyler, and Jay Mohr.

Things had been looking positive for the series to continue and some outlets actually had even reported that the show had been picked up. Unfortunately, the deal didn’t work out.

We may never know the details but Ghost Whisperer executive producers Kim Moses and Ian Sander issued a statement that said, “After five wonderful seasons and over 100 episodes, we are disappointed to announce Ghost Whisperer will not be returning for a sixth season. We’ve had an incredible experience and owe a debt of gratitude to everyone involved. We continue our relationship with ABC Studios and look forward to developing many more successful projects together in the future.”

While it looks like Heroes and Law & Order will get some closure, there’s been no word on any plans to go back into production and wrap up Ghost Whisperer.

What do you think? Sad to see it go? How would you have ended Melinda’s story?

Canceled and renewed TV show

576 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Lauren says

Ghost whisperer has to carry on, it’s my favourite programme! Im only on series 4 at the moment, I don’t want it to end :( ***

2. Wanda Vucetich says

I have completely decided that I will not watch anymore shows on CBS other than the ones I watched with Ghost Whisperer. That would leave me with only NCIS and when that ends so will my participation with CBS. I am not so upset with the cancellation as much as I am upset with the fact that CBS didn’t consider that the 5, something millions of ppl that were watching didn’t deserve to see a series finale. It is all about the profits, without the ppl that watch even the 5 mill CBS would not exist. Personally I think it should go down the same tubes it sent Ghost Whisperer to. It won’t hurt me one bit if CBS disappeared altogether, it should go to the other side and lets face it, it would end up with the shadows cause that is where greed belongs. Loyalty to those who tune is and watch should be treated as importantly as your shareholders because without us little ppl you would not exist!

3. Georgina says

Argh! I hate hate hate this! I’m watching the 5th season now and I feel like it doesn’t have an ending! I hope they pick it up somehow like a film or something just to finish it off!

4. ANGELICA says

WOW….IM SUPER SHOCKED AND HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THE SHOW TO START SEASON SIX…THIS TRULY BLOWS…I WORK ALOT AND THE ONLY SHOW I MAKE TIME FOR IS THIS,…SO DISAPPOINTED… SO SAD TO NOT SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

5. Chelsea. says

This was one of my favorite shows. I didnt even know it ended because there was no warning or clue in the show itself, all of a sudden it just stopped recording. I was truly dissapionted, because yes the viewers may have dropped but they wouldve come back. This show is amazing. They couldve gone so far with it!!! The LEAST they could do, IF they HAD to, was finished off and not cancel the show with such a CLIFFHANGER. Seriously though. It would be common certacy!!! Your truly,
    A very sad viewer

6. James meadors says

I just wanted to say that I think they should continue the show. I think I have watched it so much that I can tell you everything that’s about to happen, I need some new show make it happen!!!!

7. sophie says

je trouve ca vraiment plate qu’ils cancelle l’emission de melinda entre deux monde c’etais la meilleur serie jespere qu’ils vont la remettre en ondes pour voir la vrai fin ca ne peut pas ce finir comme ca c’est redicule .

8. Jenna says

I can not belive this! This is why i hate getting into shows like this! We didnt even find out half of the stuff like about the shadows, it is totally unfair for them to end a show that we didnt even get to see how things worked out. I frankly am pissed.

9. Jean Brown says

This makes me sick. Ghost Whisper is my all time favorite. Every day I keep changing channels to find it. Never crossed my mind they would cancel it. It is an awesome show. And honestly how many times can we watch the show that took its place. Back on back episodes — ugh!!!!!!!. I had no problem watching back on back Ghost Whisper. I sure hope someone is smart enough to pick the show up. Sad in Illinois !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Jen says

Jennifer Love Hewitt needs to continue making more episodes, since she is the producer of her own show. This show to me is #1. I love this show. I can’t give you an ending of how Melinda should have ended her show, because it shouldn’t have ended. The show must go on. I love her cast and really look forward to each episode she makes. Hopefully, like it stated in the article above if CBS isn’t willing to keep the show on air, then NBC will take the show on so it can continue to air for any viewers who enjoy it.