Harry’s Law: Stars and NBC Chair on Cancellation

No season two for Harry's Law, canceledThough Harry’s Law was the most-watched scripted TV show on NBC this season, the network cancelled it. As I’ve suggested in the past, advertisers favor shows that attract those in the 18-49 demographic. Though Harry’s Law had a lot of viewers, the legal series had some of the lowest demographic numbers on the network.

When asked why Kathy Bates and company had been let go, NBC chairman Bob Greenblatt said, “It was a difficult decision. Everyone here respects Harry’s Law a lot but we were finding it hard to grow the audience for it. Its audience skewed very old. It’s hard to monetize that.”

Bates broke the news of the show’s cancellation over the weekend. She wrote to fans, “Sad news today. Harry’s Law will not be renewed for a 3rd season. We are all terribly sad. Many thanks for all your support.”

Would you watch Harry's Law on cable?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The actress later noted, “Waiting for this verdict was tough. We wrapped a month ago so it was a very long wait!”

Bates reconciled, “Tough day getting used to the idea of no more Harry. Think I’ll keep her with me 4ever.”

When asked if there was a possibility that Harry’s Law might move to cable, Bates responded, “No hope.” But, responding to an inquiry last night on the subject, Bates wrote, “Not sure, but don’t think so.”

Justine Lupe, who played Phoebe Blake, wrote, “Sad day. Little bit of heartbreak. What a gift to had had this time.”

Actress Karen Olivo, who joined the cast in season two as Cassie Reynolds, responded with a message to her castmates, “It was an honor, my friends!”

Nathan Corddry, who’d been playing Adam Branch since the show began, noted, “I’d thank everyone individually, but the list is too long.Never was happier professionally. Thank you for a wondrful 2 years. #tough2swallow”

What do you think? Are you going to miss Harry’s Law as much as the cast will? If the show did move to another channel, would you follow it?

Jess January 11, 2014 at 2:53 am

I can tell you this, I am 58 years old, & I thoroughly enjoyed the show “Harry’s Law” as Kathy Bates made the role so believable, it is such a sad situation, when a show of this caliber, was given it’s walking papers? It is even more unbelievable, why didn’t David E. Kelley could not have sold this series to go to another network, or even a Cable channel itself? It is sad when you find a television show, of which you grow with it, week to week, & see the characters themselves refine, as well as prosper in their own rights, as well as the writers too, then they disappear? Just truly a sad reality, as this show was watched by many people, yes many were baby boomers, but hey…the baby boomers are people whom have a huge amount of stamina when it comes to watching television! Why is it NBC betrayed this cast, crew, writers, as well as the loyal viewers too? We sure wish them the best. in every way possible, I know it is a bit late to bring this show back, but hey David E. Kelley…work some magic here, we MISS this show a lot? Kathy Bates…you & this cast were great together, you are missed to this day!

Trey Neher March 9, 2013 at 3:26 pm

On line right now to buy the dvds, if I can find them. I can’t believe this show was cancelled. It was one of my most favorite series. Kathy Bates is amazing and the rest of the cast was perfect as well, great writing – it hit on all cylinders. I’m not a huge TV watcher but will never forgive NBC for their short sightedness. Old demographics ? Who’s got the money and time ! Poor decision by those making millions. I’m really hoping someone picks up Harry’s Law soon but from what I’ve read, it’s not going to happen.

Renee February 6, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Finally realized that the show was cancelled! LOVED IT!!! Extremely disappointed. SHAME ON NBC! I guess those over 50 don’t count anymore. I didn’t realize I was irrelevant. One more reason to not watch primetime TV

Michelle January 19, 2013 at 10:12 pm

It’s hard to believe that a show was cancelled due to the age of the audience, especially when it had the numbers. Apparently if you are over fifty years of age, your opinion doesn’t matter (or doesnt count). What I don’t understand is if the age demographic is such an important factor then why even attempt to air a show with Betty White in it? I’m 34 and Harry’s Law was my favorite. Kathy Bates and cast rocked it! NBC….you suck! I hope you find yourself in the middle of an age discrimination lawsuit.

Karen Wimpory January 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I would watch this show if it was moved to another network. I thoroughly enjoyed this show and I just found out that it was cancelled. I have been waiting for its return.
David E. Kelly needs to take his show to another network. Try OWN! Oprah is always looking for good shows!
I am tired of the networks cancelling shows due to demographics! Who cares what the kids watch! I have had enough of reality TV shows! They make me sick!

Pat January 14, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Ditto a, esp – ‘Yes I would watch if it moved to another network. It was a good show and canceling it because of the age of the viewers is ridiculous and maddening. BOO NBC.’