Hawaii Five-0: Original “Danno” James MacArthur to Appear on New CBS Show

James MacArthurIn the original Hawaii Five-0, James MacArthur appeared in 11 of the hit show’s 12 seasons as Danny “Danno” Williams, the second-in-command of the fictional Hawaiian State Police squad. He also had a significant role in the unsold pilot for a new series starring Gary Busey. And now, as the last surviving original castmember, MacArthur has agreed to appear in the newest version.

According to WENN, MacArthur’s a big fan of the new version that stars Alex O’Loughlin, Daniel Dae Kim, Grace Park, and Scott Caan. He’s also been approached to make a guest appearance.

MacArthur recently said, “This one’s going to be a hit. It’s got a good cast and good plots. They’ve asked me to appear in the new show. I’ll do it when the time is right.”

What do you think? What role should MacArthur play? Perhaps playing Danno’s father or maybe even a bad guy?

Anonymous October 5, 2010 at 12:53 am

the new “dano’s” daughter couldnt pronounce “danny”, but instead it came out as “dano”. was somewhere in the pilot. a lame explanation, but whatever. this new series is great. the only thing i would have possibly done different id the chracter of mcgarret should be a bit older than the rest. to give him more of the leadership quality.

De September 30, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I can’t wait to see him; any role he plays will be great.

skf September 28, 2010 at 7:14 pm

It’s very gracious to ask him to make an appearance. By the way, I think you’ve got a 3 year old photo of him. A more recent one on his site from earlier this year shows him as markedly thinner.
I think he could play Danno’s grandfather, or even an older father. He could also play some elder statesman, as he has that look now.

Sandy September 27, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I think he should play macgarrette uncle or brother

richard ross September 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Danno as the father of a eurasian child why not, actually if mc arthur was up to it, perhaps a hands on role during the first episodes assisting young steve just as he helped the original steve run the force. I watched the pilot of the original and didnot notice or hear anything about the origin of the nickname.

Dennis September 22, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I don’t see how he could play the father since the current character is from New Jersey and only came to Hawaii because of his daughter. However there could be a multi-episode build up of a back-story: Dan-o 2′s mother divorced Dan-o 1 when the former was an infant dropped out of sight in NJ. So Dan-o 2 never knew his father or his whereabouts. Alternately MacArthur’s Danny Williams could be the uncle of the current Dan-o

Dave September 21, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I’ll agree with the other posts–he should be cast as Danno’s father–an older , crankier version.

cathy September 21, 2010 at 1:10 pm

definitely playing Dano’s father would be great! I don’t remember why he was called Dano in the original version. Was it ever explained like it was in this pilot? By the way, great pilot episode, I’ll be watching!

George Robicheau September 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I think that James MacArthur was the son of the very famous Helen Hayes. I read it in some magazine during the time of the original “Hawaii 50″. Can you verify this for me.
My wife and I followed the original show and have started following the current show. The first episode was great but I was surprised with the animosity between the two lead actors.
I think that James MacArthur would make a fine actor for the new show. He could be Dano’s father but I think that he should be included in the cast for many episodes.

admin September 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm

@George Robicheau: He’s Helen Hayes’ adopted son actually. She guest-starred on an episode of the original Hawaii Five-0 as his aunt. Wonderful actress.

Rosalie Long September 21, 2010 at 12:53 am

I think he should play the govenor, if they don,t have a regular charator yet. I ment Richard Denning in 1969 and thought he was a neat guy. so maybe James would look the part now.

S September 20, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Without a doubt….Danno’s Father.

Herb Finn September 17, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Retired State Senator perhaps? Owner of the largest Pinapple plantation?

Jayess September 17, 2010 at 5:46 pm

He should definitely play Danno’s Dad !!!

PJ September 17, 2010 at 5:25 am

him playing the Dad of the character would be good! This way, he could make more than one guest appearance.

Anonymous September 20, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I agree!

Teleman September 17, 2010 at 5:02 am

I think he might as well play Dano’s father as anything. He’s one heck of an actor but the best possible contribution he could ever possibly make to this show by far would be to play Dano’s father.