Melrose Place: TV Show Cancelled, No Season Two

Melrose PlaceTo no surprise, The CW has cancelled their remake of Melrose Place after just one season and 18 episodes.

The new Melrose Place revolves around the same apartment complex as the 1990s original but largely focuses on a new group of characters. The cast includes Katie Cassidy, Stephanie Jacobsen, Jessica Lucas, Michael Rady, Shaun Sipos, Colin Egglesfield, Ashlee Simpson-Wentz, Nicholas Gonzalez, Victor Webster, and Brooke Burns. Appearances by actors Thomas Calabro, Laura Leighton, Heather Locklear, Josie Bissett, and Daphne Zuniga help kept ties to the original alive.

In September, despite a lot of promotion, the first episode attracted a small 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demo and 2.31 million viewers. The numbers fell after that and never came close to even matching the premiere’s. The April 4th episode hit a season low, with a horrific 0.4 rating in the demographic and only .86 million viewers.

Even for The CW, the new Melrose Place’s ratings were absolutely terrible. Though the last episode of the season left many storylines up in the air, there was no way that it was going to be coming back.

Well, the network made it official this week. Melrose Place has been cancelled and won’t be returning for season two.

What do you think? Why didn’t this version catch on? Was it a bad idea from the start? Would it have survived if Heather Locklear signed on at the beginning or was including original characters part of why it failed?

Kara August 17, 2011 at 9:04 am

I REALLY liked this show and im so dissapointed that it got cancelled, I wish they would at least wrap up all the story lines if they arent going to bring it back… always happens with shows i like

Chelsea August 16, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I’m pretty upset about it being canceled! I loved it! It sucks to get so into the show and characters! then they take it away! Thank God they didnt take away 90210 also, or someone would be getting a very nasty letter!!

anna August 8, 2011 at 8:04 am

I just finished watching this show on Nextflix, and it was the best show I’ve ever been intrested into. I can’t believe they canceled it.like at least make up some kind of ending. This really pisses me off. CW is my fav channel but now I’m too mad at it to watch anything else on it. Even my mom loved the show! Now that’s amazing! I’m just so sad! :(

Jesse August 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I wasn’t too surprised that the show got canceled. I’ve been watching the season on Netflix and, for me anyway, it’s hard to get into/follow, plus, it’s kind of boring and way over dramatic. I’m sorry it got canceled, but I’m not surprised.

Lauren July 27, 2011 at 11:04 am

Melrose Place SHOULD NOT be cancelled. I just watched the whole season on netflix. I don’t know why more people didn’t watch the show. It was so good that I watched the season in 3 days. I hope that they have a season 2!

Aylor February 6, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Omg i soo agree

Bandit July 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm

They should keep making more seasons dammit

queluz July 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm

i really like the show I hope they came back with they word, cause in other countries like mine, portugal, we love the serie…

Andre July 14, 2011 at 1:39 am

Honestly I loved every single episode. From 1-18!! I never watched Melrose Place from the 90’s. But when I seen this one, I want to see more! I really hope there’s a season 2 coming soon because I’m really into this show now…

Thanks.

mason July 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I loved melrose place……the charactera were so unreplaceable.me and my big sister just fell in love with katie cassidy’s character.if i could i would so fire who ever cancelled melrose place . Me and my big sister were so devestated

Amanda June 30, 2011 at 3:52 am

I loved melrose place!! bring back!! Shaun Sipos and Katie Kassidy were so good .

Susan June 25, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I recieved the Melrose 2009 DVD set for my birthday bc I adore Colin Egglesfield. I have 3 episodes left to watch & I’m on the edge of my seat. I love it! I just don’t follow the WB. Over the years nothing that network ever carried hooked me. Too bad Fox or another network didn’t run it.
The only bad thing about the show is that they pulled Colin & Ashlee, some excuse about their characters being ‘too dark.’ Utter nonsense since they weren’t too dark to pitch their story line.

CATALINA June 20, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I LOVED THE SHOW NOW WHY WOULD THEY JUST STOP THE SHOW AFTER ONE SEASON I WAS SO LOOKING FOR WORD FOR SEASON 2 :(

Ashley Shrestha June 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I just loved the show and all the characters…But sometimes we have to let go the good things, I guess…:(

black25heart June 7, 2011 at 10:44 am

actually I think that the show was pretty good
I was hoping for season 2 , but hard luck

Anita May 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I really liked this show, and was getting used to all the characters. I miss this show.