William Shatner Turns 80! What’s Your Favorite Role?

William Shatner birthdayToday marks the 80th birthday of William Shatner. It’s hard to think of any other actor who’s had such a long and varied career on the small screen. In addition to starring as Captain James T. Kirk on Star Trek, one of the medium’s most popular shows, Shatner has starred in seven other shows as well — Star Trek: The Animated Series, Barbary Coast, For the People, T.J. Hooker, Rescue 911, Boston Legal, and currently $#*! My Dad Says.

And, who could forget his memorable guest shots on shows like The Twilight Zone, Dr. Kildare, 77 Sunset Strip, The Defenders (the 1960s original), Mission: Impossible, Columbo, TekWar, 3rd Rock From the Sun, and The Practice?

He’s also starred on Broadway, starred in numerous feature films and TV movies, written many books, released “singing” albums, directed movies, produced and narrated specials, pitched computers and travel deals, and on and on and on. If you follow his online presence, you know that he doesn’t seem to be slowing down in the least.

So, on the occasion of his birthday, what are your favorite memories of Shatner’s work? Favorite roles or shows?

Beth Coccaro March 24, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Lynn, as an avid Shatner fan, I remember that episode!!! I felt so bad for you.

Beth Coccaro March 23, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Capt Kirk, Serial Number SC937-0176 CEC
(just revealed my inner geek)

and the role in Twilight Zone’s ‘Nick of Time” episode.

Lynn Ziegler March 22, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Well, my VERY LEAST FAVORITE ROLE was when he was my partner at the second taping of $ 25,000 Pyramid…….and lost the big question! We won the first round, went to the winner’s circle, and the thing he was supposed to get me to say was “things that come in shells. His three clues were “the Hollywood Bowl” and “abalone” and “uh….uh…uh….” During the break, the producer ran up on stage and said, “Lynn–eggs. Turtles. Peanuts.” “Things that come in shells,” I chirped. Shatner lowered his head and said, “Shit.”
He was useless in the second round, which Anita Gillette and her partner won. I took the
$ 800 and went to Europe to visit my husband, who was working on his Ph.d. in
Switzerland. And among my friends, for the next few years, he was known as “Kirk The Jerk.”

admin March 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm

@Lynn Ziegler: Great story!

MK March 22, 2011 at 9:49 am

James Kirk followed by Denny Crane.

Chip Ramsey March 22, 2011 at 7:31 am

Denny Crane. I even have a mad cow tie and a Denny Crane bobblehead!

griffin March 22, 2011 at 7:19 am

Well, it has to be either James Tiberius Kirk or Denny Crane!

carol March 22, 2011 at 7:01 am