Love is in the air on Netflix. This week, the streaming service announced the cast for their upcoming TV show Virgin River.
Based on the books by Robyn Carr, the romantic drama follows Melinda Monroe, who “answers an ad to work as a nurse practitioner in the remote California town of Virgin River thinking it will be the perfect place to start fresh and leave her painful memories behind. But she soon discovers that small-town living isn’t quite as simple as she expected and that she must learn to heal herself before she can truly make Virgin River her home.”
On Virgin River, Alexandra Breckenridge has been cast as the lead Melinda Monroe, Martin Henderson (pictured, left) will play Jack Sheridan, Tim Matheson (pictured, right) will portray Doc Mullins, and Annette O’Toole Virgin River’s mayor, Hope McCrea.
Read more info from Netflix below:
- Alexandra Breckenridge (This is Us, The Walking Dead) as Melinda Monroe: Desperate to move on from her painful past, she’s left everything she knows behind in Los Angeles and accepted a job as a nurse practitioner in the remote northern California town of Virgin River.
- Martin Henderson (Grey’s Anatomy, Miracles from Heaven, Everest) as Jack Sheridan: A sharp-witted ex-Marine commander, Jack Sheridan moved to Virgin River after his service was over in search of a peaceful life, far away from the horrors of war.
- Tim Matheson (The Affair, The Good Fight, The West Wing) as Doc Mullins: Set in his ways and a bit of a curmudgeon, he’s not keen on working with anyone including Mel, who he views as a challenge to his authority.
- Annette O’Toole (Smallville, Marvel’s The Punisher) as Hope McCrea: Virgin River’s brash and blunt mayor – a little rough around the edges, but her saving grace is her love for the town and her mission to preserve it.
- Jenny Cooper (Grey’s Anatomy, Open Heart) as Joey Barnes: Mel’s charming older sister, adviser, trusted confidante, and best friend.
- David Cubitt (Siren, Medium) as Calvin: The unquestioned leader of the largest of the many illegal pot fields that litter the landscape around Virgin River.
- Lexa Doig (Arrow, The Arrangement) as Paige Lassiter: A local entrepreneur, and an illustrious baker with a warm smile who has secrets of her own.
- Daniel Gillies (The Originals, Saving Hope) as Mark: Mel’s first love. Strikingly handsome and accomplished, a surgeon in the Los Angeles ER where Mel worked.
- Lauren Hammersley (Orphan Black, Mr. D) as Charmaine Roberts: An attractive hair stylist from nearby Clear River, and competition for Jack’s attention.
- Benjamin Hollingsworth (Code Black, Cold Pursuit) as Dan Brady: Another former Marine under Jack’s command, Brady differs from Preacher in almost every way.
- Colin Lawrence (Riverdale, Good Doctor) as John “Preacher” Middleton: Jack’s best friend, the two men served in the military together.
- Ian Tracey (Bates Motel, Incorporated) as Jimmy: Calvin’s lieutenant and enforcer, anyone unfortunate enough to incur Calvin’s wrath is inevitably forced to deal with Jimmy.
- Netflix has ordered 10 episodes of Virgin River, a contemporary romance based on the beloved Harlequin book series that took author Robyn Carr to the top of the New York Times bestseller list. There are now twenty books in the Virgin River series, and together they have sold more than 13 million copies. Virgin River was named to The HarperCollins 200 list, which celebrates 200 iconic books of the past 200 years.
- Melinda Monroe answers an ad to work as a nurse practitioner in the remote California town of Virgin River thinking it will be the perfect place to start fresh and leave her painful memories behind. But she soon discovers that small-town living isn’t quite as simple as she expected and that she must learn to heal herself before she can truly make Virgin River her home.
- Reel World Management and Roma Roth are producing the series for Netflix.
- Sue Tenney will serve as showrunner and executive producer.
- Roma Roth and Chris Perry will executive produce.”
What do you think? Are you familiar with Virgin River? Will you watch the Netflix series?