A Gifted Man: Cancelled, No Season Two

season two Gifted Man canceledPatrick Wilson and company won’t be back for a second season. CBS has cancelled A Gifted Man, their low-rated Friday night drama.

Revolving around a talented but arrogant doctor who’s visited by the ghost of his ex-wife, A Gifted Man ran for 16 episodes on CBS. The show features the talents of Wilson, Jennifer Ehle, Margo Martindale, Liam Aiken, Julie Benz, Pablo Schreiber, Rachelle Lefevre, Afton Williamson, Eriq La Salle, and Mike Doyle.

The TV series got off to an unimpressive start back in September, registering a 1.4 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic with 9.45 million total viewers. In week two, the demo fell 14%, to a 1.2 rating.

Should A Gifted Man have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers for later episodes fluctuated up and down — even occasionally outperforming the series premiere — but were never very strong. For the show’s final few episodes, CBS moved it into the 9pm timeslot but it didn’t do as well as previous timeslot occupant CSI: NY.

The last episode of the season (and series aired) on March 2nd and was Gifted Man’s best overall series performance, registering a 1.5 in the demo with 9.70 million total viewers. On our CBS Ratings Report Card, which measures the relaive success of shows on the network, A Gifted Man had a “D-” rating right from the start.

In Gifted Man’s former timeslot, CBS tried airing episodes of reality series Undercover Boss. It performed significantly better and cost much less to produce. Gifted Man’s fate had been sealed.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Gifted Man won’t be back for a second season? Why do you think this series didn’t catch on? Did you like or dislike the “supernatural” aspect of the series?

Julie September 15, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I just looked at the new fall line up and discovered that the best new show on tv last season (A Gifted Man) has been canceled. I am VERY disappointed.

Wendy September 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Real shows comedy’s or dramas can’t compete with reality shows. What I call the dumbing down of America

Tina Marsh September 12, 2012 at 10:02 am

Please bring back A Gifted Man. This was such a wonderful show. Your Friday night line up with this show CSI NY and Blue Bloods was a great night to stay home and watch TV.

Annie E. September 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I guess intelligent shows can not compete with the reality shows that 20s to 30s age group so enjoy. I am in the above 50 age group and I do look forward to more realistic dramas which affect the daily lives of people. Please bring back A Gifted Man. Awesome show!!! Please give it another chance. Thank you CBS.

gale September 7, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I can not believe this is now cancelled. I LOVED this show!!!! Other than the CBS sitcoms which are a huge hits: Two Broke Girls, BIG BANG and, Mike and Molly this is the only CBS hour show I watched and It was sooooo great! Give this series a chance BRING IT BACK!!!!!
get rid of CSI everywhere and Give us the GIFTED MAN!!!

Jo September 6, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I am very sorry that A Gifted Man is being cancelled. There is not much of anything good on Friday nights but my husband and I enjoyed this show and Blue Bloods on Friday evening. I hope that you change your mind and rennew this show.

Paul H August 25, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Me and the missus are addicted to the show gutted its going to be cancelled maybe sell the rights,scripts and cast etc to a UK company to produce, we get crap reality shows over here!!!!

Louise Dagenais August 7, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I thought The Gifted Man was a great show. Very disappointed! Will I be watching CBS? Probably not.

Tami July 27, 2012 at 2:11 pm

It was a wonderful show! Why it was cancelled (compared to some other CBS shows) I don’t understand! It was a great family show!

dkuzcak July 21, 2012 at 3:35 am

hi I am just watching this serie from overseas and ıt was a good show I am so sorry to hear that show will be over , it is a pity.

Anonymous July 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm

dont cancel AGM:(

Deb July 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

as a medical student i find that AGM was really a great series!! it has a great medical knowledge provided and great moral lessons to take. im so disappointed to hear that it was cancelled . i really hope that CBS would reconsider to air the sophomore season.. A GIFTED MAN IS MISSED INDEED

Robbie July 12, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Sorry I mean CBS! I’m just so disapointed. :(

Robbie July 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Are you kidding me?! First ABC put it on Friday nights which isn’t a good night for a new show. Then it’s on one week and the next week something else is on. So, you can’t even follow the show because other things are put in it’s time slot. What’s next? Are you also going to cancel Rookie Blue. I already don’t watch the FOX station anymore since they cancelled Human Target. Will I not be watching ABC also? New shows need atleast 2 seasons to get a following. ABC didn’t even give this show a real change. Totally disapointed. I also agree with Jimbo Firefly Good Show. Farscape Awesome. Only show on Scifi now that’s okay is Being Human.

Anonymous July 11, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Very disappointed that The Gifted Man was cancelled. Friday nights are a hard night for new TV Dramas early. CBS did not give it a chance. I watch CBS alot and looked forward to the show.

Jimbo July 10, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Jersey Shore = still going.

Firefly = Cancelled.

Farscape = Cancelled.

A Gifted Man = Cancelled.

and the list goes on…

Stupid people watch more television than smart people.