A Gifted Man: Cancelled, No Season Two

season two Gifted Man canceledPatrick Wilson and company won’t be back for a second season. CBS has cancelled A Gifted Man, their low-rated Friday night drama.

Revolving around a talented but arrogant doctor who’s visited by the ghost of his ex-wife, A Gifted Man ran for 16 episodes on CBS. The show features the talents of Wilson, Jennifer Ehle, Margo Martindale, Liam Aiken, Julie Benz, Pablo Schreiber, Rachelle Lefevre, Afton Williamson, Eriq La Salle, and Mike Doyle.

The TV series got off to an unimpressive start back in September, registering a 1.4 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic with 9.45 million total viewers. In week two, the demo fell 14%, to a 1.2 rating.

Should A Gifted Man have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The numbers for later episodes fluctuated up and down — even occasionally outperforming the series premiere — but were never very strong. For the show’s final few episodes, CBS moved it into the 9pm timeslot but it didn’t do as well as previous timeslot occupant CSI: NY.

The last episode of the season (and series aired) on March 2nd and was Gifted Man’s best overall series performance, registering a 1.5 in the demo with 9.70 million total viewers. On our CBS Ratings Report Card, which measures the relaive success of shows on the network, A Gifted Man had a “D-” rating right from the start.

In Gifted Man’s former timeslot, CBS tried airing episodes of reality series Undercover Boss. It performed significantly better and cost much less to produce. Gifted Man’s fate had been sealed.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Gifted Man won’t be back for a second season? Why do you think this series didn’t catch on? Did you like or dislike the “supernatural” aspect of the series?

Angie February 19, 2013 at 6:48 pm

PleAse bring it back. I fell in love with the series on Netflix and am just devastated to learn that 16 was the last! Seriously the best tv series ever!! I love every character!!!

walltr34 February 17, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I will miss it, closest thing to reality in spite of ghost wife, real people with real problems in real situations. Not stupid crap like Revenge, Gossip Girl, 2 Broke Girls, 2 & 1/2 Men, &
Vegas.

ginger February 16, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I am so disappointed. I loved this show and I would like to see another season i watched it nonstop!!!!! please bring it back

pete February 16, 2013 at 6:12 am

man I just found this show on Netflix I work nights so I don’t get to watch t.v. and this show was sweet i’m super bummed out hopefully another network will pick it up the cast was amazing!

Dave February 15, 2013 at 10:00 pm

My wife and I found a gifted man on Netflix and watched 3 episodes without stopping. Netflix should do make a bunch of episodes of a gifted man like they did with house of cards. We don’t have time to watch tv during the week. So we like the bunched up format of multiple episodes. The network and cable format of spread out episodes is dead.

Hannelore February 13, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I loved this show.Im watching it on netflix. I think it deserves a second season/

susan February 13, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I was wondering what happened to this great show. I am very disappointed that it was cancelled. I really liked it!!!

Rachel February 12, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I just started getting into TV shows since getting instant netflix. I came across this show and I thought it was absolutely amazing!!! The acting, directing and story line was very well done and thought out. I was sad to hear it was going to be cancelled….I really hope they bring it back.

Joyce February 12, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I really enjoyed watching the Gifted Man and can’t believe they would put a reality show in its place. I thought the acting was great and the story line intriguing. Everything is about the ratings. However they didn’t give the show a chance.

Cris February 11, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Don’t get to watch much tv but like catching up on Netflix. Just finished season 1 and am so sad to find out it has been cancelled! I loved this show!!!

Chris February 11, 2013 at 9:51 am

can’t believe they cancelled it right in the middle of things. I found it on Netflix because we don’t get TV and enjoyed it so much I wanted to see season 2

Tina February 8, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I hated you cancelled this show. It was great!!

Come on man February 5, 2013 at 10:21 am

Produce it on netflix or Prime or something…the show rocks (ed). A few tweaks; too much death around the doc’s friends…I like that everbody does not get better, but I actually feel bad for the “arrogant doctor”. I watched the entire first season in 10 days that is with a full time job, two kids, and being a volunteer firefighter.

Mitch Land February 4, 2013 at 9:41 pm

It was a wonderful show. So disappointed it was cancelled!

Maureen February 1, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I just lately saw this series on Netflix. I never got to watch this show and always meant to. My life was way too crazy when it was aired so now things are better in my life so I have been watching it and I love it! I want more! If there is a way to re introduce this show please do!