Eureka: Renewed for Season Six! Cancelled? A Spin-off?

Eureka season six canceledIt was reported by Deadline that Eureka was being cancelled after being renewed for an abbreviated sixth season. While Syfy typically orders at least a dozen episodes each season, this renewal was for just six installments.

Syfy is currently airing the second half of season four and the cast and crew are filming the 13 installments of season five. Word is that production will finish at the end of August and then cast and crew will return in October to film the final six episodes — or maybe they won’t be the last ones.

After the news of the cancellation broke, Syfy programming head Mark Stern issued the following statement: “Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia have brought a creative vitality to Eureka that has kept it fresh and inventive. Although we do not have a commitment beyond six episodes for the sixth season, we are hopeful that this will not be the end of the franchise.”

The ratings for Eureka have remained fairly consistent and it remains one of the cable channel’s top shows. The first part of season four averaged a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 2.38 million viewers. The four episodes of the second half of the season have averaged a 0.7 in the demo and 2.02 million. As we all know, TV shows typically get more expensive as time goes on and that may be a deciding factor in this case.

While Syfy says that they haven’t made a final decision about the future of Eureka, it certainly sounds like this is the end. If Syfy follows their usual schedule, the six episodes of season six won’t air until Summer 2013. That’s an awful long time away. If they wait to see how those episodes perform, they’d probably have a hard time reassembling everyone to make more.

That being said, Stern’s statement does speak of Eureka as a “franchise.” A franchise is usually more than just one TV series. This could be an indication that the cable channel is considering keeping the show going in some new and cheaper way — perhaps a spin-off or an original movie. If the ratings hold up, it seems likely that Syfy won’t want to let the town of Eureka fade away completely.

What do you think? Is it time for Eureka to end? Would you like to see season seven or would you prefer a spin-off or a movie?

Jennifer August 31, 2011 at 11:11 am

Dont cancel Eureka. I love this show and my whole family sits together to watch it. My 11yr old niece watches it the next day! Please keep Eureka.

JAMES BANKS August 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm

SYFY IS MAKING A BIG MISTAKE BY GETTING RID OF THE BEST SHOWS AND KEEPING THE CRAPPY ONES YOU GET RID OF STARGATE ATLANTIS , STAR GATE UNIVERSE, FARSCAPE AND SO ON AND I ALSO BLAME THE NIELSON RATINGS PEOPLE SO FEW OF THEM AND THEY GET TO DECIDE WHAT THE MILLIONS OF AMERICANS WATCH ITS BULL CRAP

Laurie August 20, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Are they insane!?!! Cancelling Eureka would be a HUGE mistake!!!! They have a loyal fan base and consistent ratings, isn’t that what the networks are looking for? It’s the only show I make a point not to miss every week and I know I’m not the only fan. KEEP EUREKA!!!

chris fisher August 18, 2011 at 11:15 am

Save Eureka we love it!! Very good show

chris fisher August 18, 2011 at 11:13 am

Please don’t cancel this is a good show!! We love watching it

Bert "da bird" August 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Most of television these days in mind numbing crap! Along comes a cute, intelligent, fun, well written, well directed and well acted show that makes viewers set their dvr’s so they don’t miss it. Now we find out that the dorks in charge of sci fi programming want to cancell EUREKA. Currently, the SCI FI channel has two good and entertaining shows on, the one they are in process of dismissing and Warehouse 13. Alpha’s is far to predictable and rather boring as is just about everything else on this network. If they continue on this path, the SCI FI network will go the way of NASA’s manned spaceprogram–into extinction. I wonder how their pocketbooks will look when no sponsers will sighn on because no one will watch a washedup, has been channel that once had a chance to really take the lead. Shame on you SCI FI executives. Money grubbing, losers!

Dianna August 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I agree with Bill – love this show! Getting very, very tired of Reality shows!!! About to stop watching TV/Cable – which keeps giving us more and more stupid reality shows! No creativity! BORING!!!BORING,
I guess I will being saving lots of money!

Bill August 14, 2011 at 11:34 am

Eureka has been a shining star on the tv airwave. There are way too many “reality” shows that require no writing or overhead that kill off great shows like this one. All the more reason to not watch NBC or utilize anything that Comcast has to offer.

Lorine August 14, 2011 at 11:17 am

Say it’s not so. Why would they do this to such a great show that has proven it self. What is wrong with them. You have a great cast, wonderfull storylines. Forgive me, but what is the problem? You have something against values and romance, not just sex and violence.

Lindsey August 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm

This is will porbably be the end of the SyFy channel, too bad too… I hope another network picks it up, i LOVE Eureka, and Id hate to have to find a new favorite show

Rae August 10, 2011 at 12:24 am

I have LOVED every moment of this show! The ONLY reason why I would ok then end is that (after a while) the storyline can only go so far. Eureka has already taken me on one massively kick butt rollercoaster, so MY personal opinion is that it would end pretty rockstar with a blockbuster movie.

Dee August 9, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Keep Eureka…..kill Alphas!

Annette Geremia August 9, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I think Eureka is a brilliant, imaginative and always surprising show. It is by far the best show on the Syfy channel, and the only one I watch regularly. If it goes, I go. There will be nothing left for me there. I think this is a short sighted decision and I hope people make enough noise for them to change their minds. I imagine it is expensive to produce, and that is because of the spectacular effects, top notch writing and acting involved. That should be a plus. Not a detriment. The suits ruin another good thing. Figures.

Bob August 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm

What a shame. This was a wonderfully creative and fun show. I read that it couldn’t be made cost effective to the new parent company NBC. First they destroyed the weather channel, now SCI FI — I can’t believe that there are that many people who really would rather watch wrestling! Let’s hope another network picks it up.

colby August 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Dont do it, its a great show and a great cast. if u cancel it it’ll be the biggest mistake since they cancelled Kyle xy without a completion season. keep it goin!!!