Ringer: Cancelled; No Season Two for CW Series

Ringer cancelled season twoHeralded as Sarah Michelle Gellar’s return to television, Ringer couldn’t hold onto its audience. The show’s been cancelled after one season and 22 episodes.

As Ringer begins, we meet Bridget (Gellar), a former stripper and recovering alcoholic who’s witnessed a murder and goes to stay with her estranged twin sister Siobhan (also Gellar). Her sister disappears so Bridget takes Siobhan’s place and soon realizes that her sister’s life was more complicated than her own. The TV series also features the talents of Nestor Carbonell, Ioan Gruffudd, Mike Colter, Tara Summers, Kristoffer Polaha, Zoey Deutch, Justin Bruening, Billy Miller, Jason Dohring, Nicole Anderson, and Gage Golightly.

Considering the amount of promotion that The CW put behind it, Ringer’s premiere had to viewed as a bit of a disappointment. It registered a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.84 million total viewers.

Should Ringer have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In week two, the demo dropped a whopping 25% to a 0.9 rating with 1.94 million. Week thee remained stable but week four plunged 33%.

Over the course of the season, the ratings fluctuated but also dwindled downward. They fell as low as a 0.4 rating (several times) with as few as 1.05 million viewers.

With very few hours of primetime real estate to fill, it just didn’t make sense for The CW to renew Ringer for a second season. They’ve cancelled the show and the last episode aired on April 17th. Since it wasn’t expected to be a series finale, several storylines were left up in the air.

What do you think? Are you disappointed that Ringer has been cancelled and won’t be returning for season two? Why do you think the ratings declined? Was it too hard to follow or just not interesting enough?

Vicki September 26, 2012 at 8:26 am

So sorry to see that Ringer was cancelled. I agree with many of the previous comments, especially the talent of Sarah Michelle Prinz (nee Geller). We Buffy fans have been waiting a long time to see her on a series again. Ringer was different, interesting and fun.
Maybe it was too difficult for some of the populous to follow as they seem to be interested in Jersey Shore and other trashy and ridiculous “reality” shows. Reality my
a.. I want to either be entertained or educated by what I watch and Ringer certainly
met the entertainment criteria. I, too would love to see a wrap up episode.

Nikkii September 25, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I love Ringer. It’s the only show on CW that my family and I watched together because of the story line behind it. Yes sometimes it confusing to what is going on, but that’s the thing, Ringer is different from anyother show I have seen on CW. It’s new and I love SMG. She one of my favorite actresses. Please bring Ringer back

SHANNON September 25, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I can’t believe people were not watching this show. It was one of my favorites and I watch a lot of shows. This show was too awesome not to watch.

unknown September 25, 2012 at 2:28 pm

This show was awesome, maybe the first episode wasnt that catchy but after that it picked up and i loved watching it. and as mentioned before you cant really count on ratings because i dvr mine i have 3 small children so when it comes down to my time to relax its late so i record all my shows. you got rid of secret circle to that was great and if it cost too much then how come supernatural is still airing if you ask me wouldnt they cost pretty much the same (i love supernatural to) . i say you should bring back ringer and secret circle and get rid of The Next, breaking point and stupid shows like that that have no real importance or any means of entertainment.

Kristen September 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

This show was great. I think it went down because some people didn’t want to wait a whole week to see a second episode to get hooked on it. By the end of the second episode I couldn’t wait to see more. I agree with others. Ringer was way better than shows like Jersey shore, keeping up with the Kardashians. Ringer left me always excited to see the next episode. Ratings are harder to judge now a days due to DVRs burners, Hulu, and other sites that provide tv viewing. Not everyone can dedicate an exact time and day of the week to watch a tv show so people use other methods to watch. I really hope they change their minds or at least make a wrap up episode. Why would I dare try to keep watching new shows that end up getting cancelled and never knowing what everything previewed turned out.

Don & Rikke September 21, 2012 at 8:36 am

We knew the show was cancelled but just had to check one more time to see of the producers had reconsidered. Being able to play two people showed great talent. True it took some intelligence to follow the plot and keep straight which sister was which, but the hair styles made it easy. It was the only show on CW we watched. Now we watch none.

Jake's Anne September 20, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Oops, what a faux pas!! I meant “bad on you CW” !! Can’t believe I made that typo.
Boycotting CW’s new shows this season….might catch up next season. Who knows!

Jake's Anne September 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I am SO BUMMED that Ringer’s been cancelled–it was every bit as good as Revenge. I just found out it was cancelled—SO unfair since I’ve been anticipating season 2 all summer long. It discourages me from committing to new shows and not waiting until season 2 and catching the first season on DVD.
Here’s a thought: At least have the courtesy of honoring the fans and making a “wrap up” finale episode if you don’t think a show’s coming back. There was no payoff for us loyal fans who appreciated the great show Ringer is. Because there weren’t “more” of us we don’t count? Don’t hold your breath on me committing to another show of yours any time soon, Fox. My friends and I are boycotting you this season.
By the way, we read in May that Ringer WAS renewed for season 2, so WHAT HAPPENED?

Cathy September 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm

This show was a great show, it kept you on the edge of your seat. Really well written. I’m not sure how they determine what should stay and what should go. We could do with a lot more shows like this and a lot less keeping up with the kardashians, jersey shore etc……
Such a shame!!!

Christina September 17, 2012 at 10:03 am

I can’t believe that this show was cancelled, I am extremely disappointed. Please bring this show back…it was my favorite.

Anonymous September 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I know right

K Donovan September 17, 2012 at 8:54 am

I am extremely disappointed. I really enjoyed this show. I was anticipating its return. :( I think that ratings may have dropped for several reasons. I think that one of those reasons may have been because of its time slot. Sometimes I would record it and then watch it the next day. Not to mention that at times there may have been two things that I would watch at the same time. So, what do you do? I would record one and watch the other. The season finale left me hanging on to my seat so to speak. So may things unanswered… VERY DISAPPOINTED!

michaela timothy September 17, 2012 at 8:40 am

wow, really no more ringer!! seriously, wtf! i dont understand. that was an unfreakinbelievable 1st season. not only disappointing to the shows fans, but to sarah’s long time fans.. we having been waiting a long long long time to see sarah back on tv. most of us grew up with buffy so to have a more mature natured, taboo enviroments and situations very much overdues. and where is the cw’s loyality?? they owe the their whole state of it’s excistance to shows like buffy and all of the wb’s shows back from 1997 that drew us in and made us fall in love with the shows and charactors. and since the wb is the grandfather network of the cw, the cw owes sarah the respect of a second season. when sarah plays a charactor, weather tv or movie, our heart breaks with her, she is “simply irrestable.” please give us a season 2, or at least release season 2 on dvd. you owe it to the fans. i dont know what “demographic” was used for opions, but if the same ‘demographic” was used to encourage the renewal of the la complex, then a new demographic should be obtained or there will be no hope for tasteful entertainment from this newtork because the bad usually overshaddows the good. i am sure i am not the only viewer who feels ripped off by the discontinued shows (including the secret circle) that we were looking foward to the new seasons, new surprises, new cliff hangers, and more “omfg” moments. prehaps your ratings counter did NOT take in to consideration of tivo or drv boxes. i personally do not watch anything live, love the ff button. please!! just start with one more season!!

Lynne E. September 15, 2012 at 9:46 am

With all the shows on network tv that are similar to each other, this was something special. A great suspenseful drama with wonderful characters & a twisting plot that shocked at every turn. A real loss.

The Sardis September 12, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I don’t understand why such an amazing show got cancelled! Every episode left me with more questions, and now that there won’t be a season two how will I know what happens in the end? Please bring this show back, a show like this has no reason to be cancelled.

Mary Channel September 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I loved that show! I loved Juliet!!! I honestly don’t understand how it is possible not to like such a good show… What’s not to like??? Please bring Ringer baack!!!