Ringer: Cancelled; No Season Two for CW Series

Ringer cancelled season twoHeralded as Sarah Michelle Gellar’s return to television, Ringer couldn’t hold onto its audience. The show’s been cancelled after one season and 22 episodes.

As Ringer begins, we meet Bridget (Gellar), a former stripper and recovering alcoholic who’s witnessed a murder and goes to stay with her estranged twin sister Siobhan (also Gellar). Her sister disappears so Bridget takes Siobhan’s place and soon realizes that her sister’s life was more complicated than her own. The TV series also features the talents of Nestor Carbonell, Ioan Gruffudd, Mike Colter, Tara Summers, Kristoffer Polaha, Zoey Deutch, Justin Bruening, Billy Miller, Jason Dohring, Nicole Anderson, and Gage Golightly.

Considering the amount of promotion that The CW put behind it, Ringer’s premiere had to viewed as a bit of a disappointment. It registered a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.84 million total viewers.

Should Ringer have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In week two, the demo dropped a whopping 25% to a 0.9 rating with 1.94 million. Week thee remained stable but week four plunged 33%.

Over the course of the season, the ratings fluctuated but also dwindled downward. They fell as low as a 0.4 rating (several times) with as few as 1.05 million viewers.

With very few hours of primetime real estate to fill, it just didn’t make sense for The CW to renew Ringer for a second season. They’ve cancelled the show and the last episode aired on April 17th. Since it wasn’t expected to be a series finale, several storylines were left up in the air.

What do you think? Are you disappointed that Ringer has been cancelled and won’t be returning for season two? Why do you think the ratings declined? Was it too hard to follow or just not interesting enough?

CHARLES SHIFLETT November 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm

IT WAS SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT TO LEARN THAT ‘RINGER’ WOULD NOT BE PICKED UP FOR A SECOND SEASON. THE SHOW WAS WELL WRITTEN AND ACTED AND IF A SECOND SEASON HAD BEEN FILMED I WOULD LOVE TO BUY A COPY. PERHAPS THE PRODUCERS SHOULD CONSIDER PACKAGING IT FOR SALE. IN FACT THERE ARE SEVERAL SHOWS THAT DISAPPEARED BEFORE THEIR TIME I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT HAPPEN TO.

Brad January 8, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’ve been struggling to watch the 22 episodes of this show, and It’s taken over 2 months to finally be at episode 19. The plot was a good one, but the format of Soap Opera was so irritating that it may take another month to finish the last 3 episodes. I’m not sure exactly why this is. Maybe the constant predictable or implausable twists that keep happening, but something just causes my brain to revolt immediately and violently to where I have to pause or watch something else. Hey, I’m here posting a comment while the Netflix is on Pause. I love SMG in her other shows, and I can’t find fault with any of the Actors. The dialogue, though. And that Soap Opera format. The constant breaking of the flow with the scenes’ unfinished. Those cause me to cringe.

Don January 8, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Oh Brad. Do I ever know what you mean. My Brain felt like the Oxygen got sucked out and it was about to implode when I tried to watch that show. I loved SMG in the other shows I’ve seen her in too, but even she could not compensate for what I saw as major failings to keep my interest. Not a big fans of anything Soap Opera myself..

KRJ October 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I discovered Ringer on Netflix. As I was watching the final episode of season 1, I decided to check the web to see if there was a season 2. To my great disappointment, I discovered there would not be another season. It would be nice to have if not another season, at least a final episode would give viewers closer.

Anonymous October 27, 2012 at 3:37 pm

They should at least have a second season or series finale to end the story. I’m so eager to know what would happen to everyone :(

Tina October 27, 2012 at 9:18 am

What can we do??? I know the last time everyone wanted a show. They created a Facebook page and everyone posted. How much they loved the show.. Maybe that’s something we can do….
Any suggestions.

Tina October 27, 2012 at 9:15 am

I think it is so sad and this channel is missing out.
They did the same thing to The Game. I wonder what we can do to bring the back
This is a huge loss! If they would have put them on at a good time.
It’s unfortunate . I am upset. I watched all of the shows and I stayed up all night because I couldnt put the remote down. It’s additicting. I was waiting to find out what was going to happened

Anonymous October 27, 2012 at 9:07 am

I think its a mistake why, would they cancel this show. They did the
With The Game. Maybe if we fight for the show maybe someone else will pick it up.
I love this show. The actress and actors have done a great job to make this show feel real.
What can we do to keep this show alive.

Dana October 23, 2012 at 10:16 am

The show ringer is awesome i can see why cw is not a big major network when they put such a great show on and everyone gets hooked on it then cause they not making it so big they rip it off the network. I can see I am not the only one that loved this show and i hope a major network will pick this show up and make it what the viewers loved. As far as this moron Louis Peitzman state on Mar 21, 2012 Quote “But overall, I’d say we can safely call the show a failure” hmm to be a critic that doesn’t listen to what the people saying. 95% saying they loved it. He must have been one of the 2%. I will say the writer of ringer is awesome it did keep me wanting to watch more. To point I went looking for more info on a show and sadly find it was cancelled. And seriously bringing back 90210 REALLY. 90210 over this show. I would rather watch barney than 90210 if awesome shows like the ringer it canceled. Oh my husband also loved the show.

Gina October 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Really???? I am so disappointed that Ringer was cancelled. Ok now I can watch the same boring reality shows or no wait maybe I could watch celebrity’s live a life most people will
Never live.I really enjoyed Ringer every week with my whe family.Please bring it back!!!!!

boland October 16, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Very, very, irritated that great shows come along & then get cancelled. All because reality tv………which sucks!

mimi October 11, 2012 at 5:13 pm

i am very disappointed that Ringer was cancelled along with Secret Circle. Ringer kept me on edge every week and to find out that the show was cancelled is very unnerving. the cw network is definitely gonna lose a lot of viewers behind this bs.

Lindsy October 6, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Very disappointed that the show was canceled. I really enjoyed it and the story. I really wish I knew where they get their demographics, because no one ever asked all of those leaving these comments. Somone should pick the story back up and at least try another season. Sometimes we don’t get to watch them the night they air, but we record or stream them hoping to keep up with the show and then someone else decides to pull the plug on a really good thing.

natasha October 4, 2012 at 10:44 am

another great show cancelled from cw i liked the ringer i taped every episode for the simple fact that the show was wonderful it had me wondering what was gonna happen next nad for to end like that i surely thought the next season would have been the best my thing is cw u have taken away to great shows this thr ringer and the secrest circle you guys really dont value your audience opions @ all because how end the shows with a twist and then just take awa that leaves us on edge and then cancel the show without notice well that was just wrong please bring both the ringer and the secret circle back i think they were your best shows because these neq shows arent worth watching cw think of your fellow viewers before just cancelling a show that people can relate to.

Lovenia Seahorn October 3, 2012 at 5:14 pm

So so so, dissappoined you cancelled Ringer. Best show on cw, just goes to show you how much the the station managers/rating care about excellence in prime time tv. I hope one of the cable networks pick it up. Then cw will regret canceling another great show!!!!!!!!

Lauren September 30, 2012 at 10:05 pm

its frustrating the way they left the plot open like that.. not cool! i feel like i wasted my time watching those 22 episodes since it didnt get picked up for the next season and they left it with a cliff hanger..

k_hersh September 30, 2012 at 4:13 pm

It drives me crazy when they cancel stuff without tying up loose ends. If they want to cancel it, fine…..but at least make one final wrap-up show or special 2 hour movie.