Saving Hope: Episode Plans Cancelled by NBC

Saving Hope TV seriesThe peacock network is dropping their medical drama Saving Hope from the schedule. While the TV series hasn’t been officially cancelled by NBC, the writing is certainly on the wall.

Saving Hope revolves around the staff of a major hospital. The charismatic Chief of Surgery (Michael Shanks) suffers a massive brain hemorrhage on his wedding day and ends up in a coma. This leaves the facility in chaos and his fiance and fellow surgeon (Erica Durance) in a state of shock. It doesn’t help matters that her former boyfriend (Daniel Gillies) — also a brilliant surgeon — has arrived to work at the same facility. Others in the cast include Michelle Nolden, K. C. Collins, Kristopher Turner, Julia Taylor Ross, Ben Ayres, Huse Madhavji, Salvatore Antonio, and Glenda Braganza.

The TV show has been struggling in the ratings from the start and back in July hit a series low of a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 2.20 million viewers. Still, it was scripted programming that NBC was licensing from Canada so it wasn’t costing them much.

The plan was to air the final two episodes of the season on successive Saturdays — first on September 1st and 8th, then on the 8th and 15th. Now, according to TV Line, the 12th and 13th installments will be released online instead.

While there’s essentially no chance of Saving Hope returning to NBC, the TV series has already been renewed for a second season by CTV in Canada.

Will US viewers be able to watch the second season? Well, Saving Hope could be released on DVD at some point and there’s also a chance that a cable channel could pick up the show. Ion has acquired the rights to air episodes of fellow Canadian exports The Listener and Flashpoint — two shows that have aired on NBC and CBS respectively.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC is dropping Saving Hope? Would buy a DVD set or follow it to a cable channel?

Kim October 2, 2012 at 4:40 pm

This was a great program! Cannot believe that they would get rid of this and yet keep all of the really stupid stuff that they have, such as all of the reality shows and other shows that are offensive. Great job there NBC – NOT!!! I will so try to follow this wherever it goes!!!

Jeanne October 2, 2012 at 10:50 am

I cannot believe you are canceling this show! This is an excellant show where you could relate to. I looked forward to it weekly. You have all these reality shows that are just plain stupid with no story line at all just peoples stupidity. Whats wrong with you people?

Theresa September 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm

This was a good show, yet they keep some of these reality shows makes no sense. Get rid of the reality shows (not real after all) and put Saving Hope back on. There are other channels I can and will watch instead unless Saving Hope is brought back. No I would not buy DVD or watch on internet.

Annette September 25, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Saving Hope is cancelled as well. Seriously, What is wrong with you people.
This is the 6th show that I watched to get the ax. I quess we will all have to watch cable networks exclusivly!

Colleen September 24, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Seriously tired of getting hooked on a show, only to have it cancelled! Yes, they should keep it! If they are dumb enough not to, at least carry it on Hulu or something. Yes, I would watch the 2nd season on DVD.

Nelson September 24, 2012 at 11:36 am

This was a good show, yet they keep some of these reality shows makes no sense.

Carol M. September 22, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I sure hope I can find a way to continue to follow this story – it touched my heart.

Anonymous September 22, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I’ve admired Michael Shanks every since his Dr. Jackson days and his role as Charlie seemed to fit him so well. I want to continue following Alex’s & Charlie’s story and I so agree with the one individual that said NBC STINKS!!!!! I’ll continue to watch in any format I can find.

kim September 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm

PLEASE BRING IT BACK…I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!

christine abrigo September 22, 2012 at 5:56 am

Saving Hope is one of my FAVORITE shows of all times ….!! …I’m just finding out that it was canceled:( …. at the end of every episode, I promptly scanned one week ahead to Thursday night at 8 pm, and pre-recorded it on my DVR! Anxiously waiting for the next episode…. I will definitely follow it online and/or cable networks! I’m truly heartbroken that it was cancelled!.. it was such an awesome show!!!

Beverly September 21, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Why is it that EVERY time there is a show I LOVE, they take it off!!! I would love to see it back on TV!!!!!!!

JoAnn September 21, 2012 at 6:50 pm

NBC Sux! I LOVED Saving Hope and I will probably look for it’s return on CTV if they show them online… grrr NBC does not commit to new shows and it infuriates me. I won’t watch any new shows on that network ever again!!! If Days wasn’t on NBC, I’d never have a reason to be on that channel. I’m sure Days will be cancelled in the not so distant future. They cancelled Another World and other networks are cancelling other LONG-running soaps. I’m so over NBC but yes, I would follow Saving Hope to a cable channel.

Susan September 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I am REALLY sorry to hear this show has been cancelled.I feel it was different than most “hospital ” shows. The really unique part was the concept of people on the edge of”crossing over; and how he connected with them to help them let go, and re examine why he was holding on for so long….there was love, compassion, and self examination of the human spirit. Will truly miss this show….

Joann September 21, 2012 at 8:17 am

Every Thursday lately I was looking for it and so, so, so disappointed that I could not find it which prompted me to look it up online and this is how I find it is canceled or will be canceled. No, I will not buy the DVD or possibly watch it online, I don’t have time for that. I am really disappointed. Even though it was a cliff-hanger each time that drove me crazy, I couldn’t wait to see it again next week. It was different and having lost my brother almost 2 years ago, it was kind of my connection to him, wondering if people linger and what might be happening.

I will miss the show.

Rosie September 21, 2012 at 5:48 am

I can’t believe that this show was canceled! NBC stinks!