So You Think You Can Dance: FOX Drops Results Shows

So You Think You Can DanceAfter nine seasons on the air, there are changes in the works for So You Think You Can Dance.

The summer reality show has aired twice a week since its second season, back in 2006. Judge, creator, and executive producer Nigel Lythgoe has now announced that “#FOX have cancelled the results show so I will have to change the format of #SYTYCD. At least we have another season at the end of MAY.”

Lythgoe followed that tweet up with, “Don’t worry #SYTYCD fans. I’m thrilled we have a new series. We’ll do our best to find some great talent starting next week in Atlanta.” and then, “I’m certainly not mad at FOX they have supported #SYTYCD FOR 9 seasons. With the help of Mike Darnell I think we have some great new ideas.”

One follower told Lythgoe, “let the judges decide the first couple of rounds, some of us never watch results.” He responded with, “[PROBABLY WHY THEY CANCELLED.].”

Last summer, the results episodes of So You Think You Can Dance averaged a 2.1 in the 18-49 demographic and 6.364 million total viewers. The performance episodes did just a bit better with a 2.3 in the demo and 6.39 million. Those aren’t very different from the Summer 2009 numbers.

What do you think? Do you think this change is a mistake? Do you think running only one episode of SYTYCD a week will help or hurt the ratings? Was two installments a week too much?

Leslie Silton October 11, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Where else can we see brilliant dancing, where young dancers get to show the world what they can do. The spirit really soars as these artists pull out all the stops. I love the show.
I love to see all the different kinds of dance, the different pairings, the group dances. I am especially thrilled that Eliana and Chehon won in season 9. It’s great to have a favorite male and female. But in truth, Cyrus and Tiffany were also amazing. We are lucky to have this much art available. I love the team spirit, the group spirit. The mis-steps are few. The judges really try to make their corrections technical and to the point. People in general could take a lesson in grace and beauty while in the spotlight. Everyone who participates in this show sets a great example.

Didina August 20, 2012 at 10:49 am

The So You Think You Can Dance show is full of real talents. It is very rare to see a group of truly talented dancers assembled together. If you compare the talents on this show to the other reality shows, there is no comparison. How many people can dance like these young people? If some one with no talents can win $ millions for doing something dumb on air, I think the talents on this show should win $ trillions. I just love this show and I adore Cat Deeley who is the warmest and most caring host I have ever seen. I hope Fox will NOT cancel this show in the US.

lotusgreen January 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm

i love every second of both nights. to see every realm of dancing performed so beautifully is an amazing treat. what cancelling the secing night deprives us of is not only the results, but an extraordinarily choreographed group number, professional dancers performing… etc.

Grandizer January 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm

The only dance show I watch. I would like the results show more if there was only a half hour long version.
I never saw a need to drag it out to a full hour long session.

Laura January 4, 2012 at 8:32 am

KEEP THE SHOW!
It is by far the best dance show on TV….drop the lame :Dancing With the Stars”

Bethany January 3, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Honestly I only watch the tryouts anyway. However the bulk of the people I have interactions with say they watch every single episode, and at least my facebook page lights up with cheers and jeers when the results are announced. Since I have nearly 5K friends on FB, and more than 75% of them all seem to be all about this show, it suprises me that they are not getting better ratings.

If shows like this (and Idol, and all other talent type shows) get canceled, I hope someone makes a show of just tryouts for shows like this. I mean those are the most entertaining by far anyway. Maybe they could just have people call in and vote for their favorite tryout each week and announce the top 10 viewer favorites at the top of the following week’s show?

Craig January 2, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Always happy to see less of a dance show.

Dee January 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm

This is the best dance show on TV, I cannot see anything else like it, I will watch as long as its on!

Jeremy Rynek January 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Cancel it now!!

Michael Joseph January 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I don’t watch the show, but all reality shows are bloated anyway. I think they should do this to everything (Idol, X Factor, AGT)-it’d make them all a lot easier to bear and less of a commitment.