The Sing-Off: Unimpressive Ratings; Cancel or Keep It

The Sing-OffNBC’s new reality competition, The Sing-Off, completed its four night season on Monday. One vocal group was victorious but was the show a winner in the ratings?

The Sing-Off is a singing competition show for a capella groups of all styles and sizes. The program begins with eight groups and then teams are eliminated over the course of the episodes, either via viewer call-ins or judges’ votes. The series is hosted by singer Nick Lachey and the judges are Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, and Nicole Scherzinger.

This season’s winners are the six-member group called Nota from San Juan, Puerto Rico. They were rewarded with a $100,000 prize and a recording contract with Sony. Of the win, the group said, “This means a brand new life for all us. Thank you so much for this opportunity… We look forward to bringing you some more music and bringing joy to your heart.”

While Nota was a winner, what about the show?

Should Sing-Off come back?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings for The Sing-Off started off with an unimpressive 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.89 million viewers. That’s about what Heroes has been doing in the demo but easily bests Trauma. Sing-Off lost viewers in its second hour and that didn’t bode well for night two.

But, strangely enough, the key rating increased a bit for Sing-Off on Tuesday evening, to a 2.6 in the demo and 6.86 million viewers. For night three, the show sunk to a 2.1 rating and 6.51 million.

And then, for the season finale, Sing-Off attracted a 2.3 rating and a viewership high of 7.28 million viewers.

While this kind of performance in the ratings certainly isn’t very impressive, NBC might still opt to order a second season. Sing-Off is cheaper to produce than scripted shows and held audience interest. That’s certainly a positive thing for ratings-challenged NBC.

If the network does renew it, they could make season two in the same abbreviated “event” format or they could try to expand it to a more typical run.

What do you think? Would you tune in to watch a second season of The Sing-Off? As a regular series or as another holiday event? Cancel or keep it?

Pam Dawber June 7, 2010 at 10:14 am

keep the show! LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It was so refreshing to see people who had to rely totally on their own creativity and talents. There was no hiding behind music, or just standing there. It was entertaining in many ways. Perhaps, more advertising ahead of time and returning when its not competing with holiday parties and shopping would help the ratings!

M Lewis May 30, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Please keep it!!!!

Anonymous April 18, 2010 at 10:51 am

keep

SteveNOTA April 10, 2010 at 11:19 pm

JESUS CHRIST KEEP IT is the best reality show! american idol sucks, im tired of that, ABDC too! so this is way to different, to original theres no a reason to CANCEL the show

Anonymous April 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm

keeeeeeeeeep it!

Miranda March 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I am so stoked for this show to be back!! I agree that first season didn’t get as much attention as it should have. But 4 days was much too short! I kept watching repeats on Hulu… and now that those are gone, I watch clips on YouTube for old times sake!
It’s nice to see something pure on tv. It really lets music fans enjoy the beauty of the voice. I’m sick of stuff like American Idol. The Sing-Off brings such a beautiful spin to things. So worth making into a regular series. If American Idol has lasted this long, then The Sing-Off should be given a chance! It’s so unique!!

chris February 19, 2010 at 9:01 pm

it’s coming back for season 2

THE DEADBOLT: What’s the latest on season two of Taking the Stage?

LACHEY: It’s coming back in late January, as is America’s Next Dance Crew.

admin February 20, 2010 at 3:27 am

That interview was given before the start of The Sing Off and the season two he’s talking about is Taking the Stage.

YesTa Keeping It February 18, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Absolutely keep it. Most of us are just finding out about the show through e-mails from our friends. It is fantastic. I can’t wait for a season two.

I also know that I’ll never go see a Kris Allen or Jordan Sparks concert in my life, noor would I buy one of their albums. I would easily spend $50 to see NOTA live and will buy their album and DVD.

SingOfffan125 February 2, 2010 at 4:01 pm

KEEP the show. Its really good. I and many other people are looking forward to a new season of NBC’s show the Sing Off.

John Jacob January 31, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Keep it. This show is something that a lot of people missed, because it was not well advertised. I caught it only because someone told me to watch it because Face, our local Boulder, Colorado group was in it. It was amazing and I expect it will get viral buzz through repeats and YouTube.

Laura January 28, 2010 at 8:32 pm

This is my new favorite show to watch. I enjoyed every minute of it, so please bring it back for another season. But I do agree with a longer season. Four days just wasn’t enough!

Susie January 26, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Keep it…I would definitely watch it.

mblendley January 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm

KEEP IT PLEASE….I’d like to see auditions also….Please lets see a season 2 that is a bit longer than 4 days!!!!

BarbP January 17, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Keep it. I loved this show. I was reluctant at first to watch it thinking it was a knock off of American Idol but it was not. And it was surprisingly good. I loved all the groups! I loved this show!!!!

Pesio Silao January 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Please Please Please….KeEp iT!!!…OMG i saw it on demand right after da holiday buzz and boy was i surprised..my whole family kept on watching it over and over again..So please keep it..ThanKs!