In Treatment: HBO TV Series Cancelled; No Season Four, But…

In Treatment canceledIt looks like the doctor is out — for now. HBO has cancelled In Treatment after the seasons on the air but may be interested in keeping the series going in another form.

Starring Gabriel Byrne as Dr. Paul Weston, In Treatment first aired in January 2008 and ran five nights a week. That didn’t perform as well as expected so it was reduced to two episodes twice a week for seasons two and three. While In Treatment has been a favorite with some critics, the ratings haven’t kept up. The season three finale, which aired in December, attracted just 253,000 viewers.

Byrne noted that the role was quite demanding in that it required him to memorize large amounts of dialogue in a short amount of time. He was nominated for two Emmy Awards and appeared in all 121 episodes of the series. Dianne Wiest won a supporting actress Emmy and Glynn Turman won in the guest actor category. In 2009, In Treatment won the WGA Award for best new series.

Though In Treatment may be done as a regular series, HBO is interested in a new incarnation. A statement from HBO states, “It’s true that we have no plans to continue with In Treatment as previously formatted. However, we are in continued conversations with the executive producers to find another way to continue telling these rich stories.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a fourth season of In Treatment? Would you like to see it continue in another form?

Canceled and renewed TV show

200 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Michael Becker says

This is a great show. It’s intelligent, insightful and it has depth. The characters are fascinating as well as the relationships between them and Dr. Weston. This is TV at its best, please find a way to continue!

2. Maria says

I miss In Treatment, one of the best shows on tv. Please bring it back in the same format. Great acting by Gabriel Byrne and rest of the cast. Award worthy acting by all.

3. LeAnne says

In Treatment was one of my favorite series to watch…sorry it was cancelled. Gabriel Byrne even had the voice and tone of a Therapist. He was very calming to listen to. The stories were so interesting you couldn’t wait to see the next episode. A lot of the characters problems and stories could probably be related to by the watchers as situations and circumstances in their own lives or in their family or friends lives. I would love to see the series return or see a similar type series about treatment. I found it so interesting as well as therapeutic! My Mom loved it also and we would watch it together sometimes if she was visiting while it was airing. She would even watch it more than once a week just to listen to Byrne’s voice as a calming effect. Come back!!!!!

4. Teresa says

I whole heartily agree with everyone else! This was one of the BEST shows ever! Please bring it back in whatever format you can!

5. linda says

In Treatment was the BEST show on TV!!! Are you kidding…why, why, why must we all be stuck with programs like The Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo,Two broke girls, and so many copy cat medical shows. Really??? It’s ridiculous. In Treatment had intellect, sophistication, and an actual story line that left you wanting more. There is an audience. Please bring it back. I haven’t watched HBO since the last show premiered. I’ve been waiting all summer for it to come back….I’m SO DISAPPOINTED!

6. John Patchett says

I loved the show. Each season was excellent. I particularly enjoyed actresses Hope Davis and Mia Wasilowska. Of course, Gabriel Byrne was superb.
    I was rather dismayed to read that the series has been canceled.

7. says

I am so upset to hear that In Treatment has been cancelled by HBO!!!!!! It is a great
    series, superbly written and acted. Somehow it must be reincarnated somewhere else. I need my fix!!!!

8. says

Given that it is one of the best shows on-air we’d like to see it continue in whatever form works for Byrne and others. Some episodes were so riveting we were surprised no Emmys were awarded for them.

9. Miriam says

I’m very sorry to hear that the show was cancelled, I wish will continue, then we can enjoyed again. Please do your best to bring it again.
    Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Miriam says

I loved the show, and I’m very sorry to hear that was cancelled. I wish, with all my heart, will continue, and we will enjoyed again……..

11. Ginger Wayne says

Yes! An insightful and thought provoking look at the process of psychotherapy from both perspectives of the paitient and the therapist. Nowhere else can this be found. Rating don’t always point to excellentce…unfortunately.