NCIS: CBS TV Series Renewed for Season Nine

Mark Harmon NCISIn a no-brainer move, CBS has renewed their top drama, NCIS, for a ninth season. The series currently averages a 4.0 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic, ranking behind only Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory on the CBS schedule. The renewal follows the news that Mark Harmon has signed a new two-year contract and the series drew its biggest ratings to date last night with a 4.6 rating in the demo and 22.9 million viewers.

Here’s the press release from CBS…

CBS RENEWS “NCIS” FOR THE 2011-2012 SEASON

Television’s #1 Drama/Scripted Series to Return for Its Ninth Season

Tuesday’s Broadcast Delivers a Series’ Record Audience of 22.85 Million Viewers

NCIS, television’s #1 drama/scripted series for the second consecutive year, has been renewed by the CBS Television Network for the 2011-2012 season, it was announced today by Nina Tassler, President, CBS Entertainment.

“It’s simply amazing that a show in its eighth season continues to perform at such an elite level,” said Nina Tassler, President, CBS Entertainment. “This is a tribute to the hard work of its talented writers, producers and cast for bringing to life such compelling stories and characters with intrigue and humor. The quality of the storytelling is also evident by the series’ incredibly devoted fan base who we thank for their passion and commitment to NCIS on CBS, in online communities and around the world.”

“NCIS has become a network phenomenon and a global sensation. The show continues to hit audience peaks on CBS and is a top performer in territories around the world,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “We thank an amazing cast, led by Mark Harmon, which has undeniable chemistry, for bringing to life characters with such amazing universal appeal. And, we credit Shane (Brennan) and Gary (Glasberg) for the storytelling and production vision that delivers compelling episodes every week and a fresh creative vision every year.”

NCIS premiered on CBS in 2003-2004 as a spin-off of the long-running action/legal drama, “JAG.” Since its debut, NCIS’s ratings have steadily climbed, becoming a top 10 program in 2007-2008, the series’ fifth season. NCIS’s ratings continued building the following season, finishing 2008-2009 ranked fifth among all primetime programs. Last season, NCIS ranked fourth among all programs and became the #1 drama/scripted program on television, with an average audience of 18.89 million viewers.

Currently in its eighth season, NCIS’s ratings are still rising and the series continues to be the #1 drama/scripted series. This season, NCIS is averaging 19.60 million viewers. Last night’s episode delivered a record audience of 22.85 million viewers and the show’s highest adult 18-49 rating since Oct. 2009.

NCIS stars Mark Harmon, Michael Weatherly, Cote de Pablo, Sean Murray, Pauley Perrette, Rocky Carroll and David McCallum. Shane Brennan, Chas. Floyd Johnson, Gary Glasberg, Mark Horowitz, Mark Harmon and Donald P. Bellisario are executive producers for Belisarius Productions in association with CBS Television Studios.

What do you think? Happy to hear NCIS has been renewed? How long should this series realistically continue? Could it go on without Harmon?

joe August 3, 2012 at 1:35 am

watching season 8 now on 8 TV Malaysia, love it.

Charlie July 22, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I am so happy to know it has not been cancelled it is the only, I hope they all return it will not be the same with some missing.

Bernadette July 15, 2012 at 12:09 am

Mark harmon needs to stay . and the rest of the crew. and dont forget Ducky.
We all think your show is the best. none can replace it if you know what i mean.

Bobbyke July 21, 2012 at 5:07 am

I am 200% agree.

Peggy July 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Best show ever. I can’t wait for the new season. Hope everyone comes back

Mainer July 4, 2012 at 4:45 pm

The whole cast HAS to come back, it would not be the same after this long of a period. I’m sure there are new story lines given the way the world is and things going on in this country.

can't say June 24, 2012 at 12:46 am

I hope you plan on having someone walk down the beach, see Ducky and revive him, you are, arn’t you???? Everyone is so important on NCIS, it just quite wouldn’t be the same without one of it’s members, please, oh please don’t let Ducky die, Please, Please, Please

TrkrGrl June 14, 2012 at 3:44 am

The GREATEST show ever! Mark signed a 2yr contract so we know it will be on for another 2yrs BUT after that I’ll probably quit watching TV cause theirs nothing else worth watching other than NCIS LA!!! The whole crew are AWESOME!!!

Anonymous June 12, 2012 at 6:05 pm

My favorite hope Jamie lee Curtis continues on great additio

Judy June 10, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I love the show watch it on every channel it’s on
It would be disastrous without Mark Harmon
Like the Lone Ranger without his horse

Bernadette July 15, 2012 at 12:13 am

so true

Brian C May 31, 2012 at 10:51 pm

One of the best series ever. Keep it going!

Anonymous May 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I absolutely love NCIS.. By far the best TV series ever created.. It just can’t CANCEL!!

regina May 24, 2012 at 9:24 am

it could not make it with out mark and i love the show i have watch it from the begining

Barb May 16, 2012 at 7:10 pm

This is without a doubt the best thing on TV. Our family takes great pains to never miss it —– And we also watch reruns on weekends !! Don’t ever cancel this one. Fabulous cast and terrific story lines !!

TONY TRIPODI May 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW.IAM EX NAVY.64 YEARS OLD,KEEP IT ON

Faye May 16, 2012 at 4:08 am

My favorite show. I would be greatly disappointed if they ever cancelled it. Love the characters, the show, etc. I watch the reruns and actually own the DVD’s from Seasons 1-7. Hope they never cancel a good thing. No much junk on TV. This one is a real winner. Family knows not to call me during NCIS. I am in the 65-70 age group, so it isn’t just for young folks.

Laura D June 1, 2012 at 9:19 am

Oh hun, I so agree with you. I’m 58 and only missed when i worked 2nd shift…lol.
In SC there are reruns on USA except for Tues, Fri., and one of the weekend days (except recently they’ve missed a weekend or two). only one other show rates a no-call zone Ghost Hunters on syfy.

can't say June 24, 2012 at 12:49 am

Laura, I’ll be 72 next month, July, and my husband and I think this is among the 1% of GOOD shows on TV. We’ve seen so many of the reruns that when one comes on I know who done it, but don’t care, love to watch it anyway.