Saving Hope: Episode Plans Cancelled by NBC

Saving Hope TV seriesThe peacock network is dropping their medical drama Saving Hope from the schedule. While the TV series hasn’t been officially cancelled by NBC, the writing is certainly on the wall.

Saving Hope revolves around the staff of a major hospital. The charismatic Chief of Surgery (Michael Shanks) suffers a massive brain hemorrhage on his wedding day and ends up in a coma. This leaves the facility in chaos and his fiance and fellow surgeon (Erica Durance) in a state of shock. It doesn’t help matters that her former boyfriend (Daniel Gillies) — also a brilliant surgeon — has arrived to work at the same facility. Others in the cast include Michelle Nolden, K. C. Collins, Kristopher Turner, Julia Taylor Ross, Ben Ayres, Huse Madhavji, Salvatore Antonio, and Glenda Braganza.

The TV show has been struggling in the ratings from the start and back in July hit a series low of a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with just 2.20 million viewers. Still, it was scripted programming that NBC was licensing from Canada so it wasn’t costing them much.

The plan was to air the final two episodes of the season on successive Saturdays — first on September 1st and 8th, then on the 8th and 15th. Now, according to TV Line, the 12th and 13th installments will be released online instead.

While there’s essentially no chance of Saving Hope returning to NBC, the TV series has already been renewed for a second season by CTV in Canada.

Will US viewers be able to watch the second season? Well, Saving Hope could be released on DVD at some point and there’s also a chance that a cable channel could pick up the show. Ion has acquired the rights to air episodes of fellow Canadian exports The Listener and Flashpoint — two shows that have aired on NBC and CBS respectively.

What do you think? Are you sorry that NBC is dropping Saving Hope? Would buy a DVD set or follow it to a cable channel?

Julie April 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm

There is not much on TV that interest both my boyfriend and I equally and so we usually end up in separate rooms watching our own thing. This show was the exception. From the very first episode we both agreed to watch together every week as we both found it very entertaining. We were very disappointed to see that it ended so suddenly leaving us up in the air and back to separate rooms. Really hope the network reconsiders and brings it back.

Lindsey Kay March 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm

My husband and I watched this show every week…we LOVED it, it is one of the best shows we have watched and both really loved and enjoyed in a long time, the fact that it wont be coming back on tv makes us so mad!

Diane Ladouceur February 17, 2013 at 2:44 pm

This was the best show on television and I always looked forward to watching it. Sometimes I would watch the same episode on Thursday and Sundays because I enjoyed it so much. I love every one of the characters and it is such a unique show in its concept. When I thought Season 2 should be starting, I kept looking for it and couldn’t find it and I said to myself “Finally something that is worth watching. They probably took it off the air”, and sure enough they did.

Please let me know if Shaw in South Calgary is showing Saving Hope on one of the stations. Maybe the networks will smarten up.

Poppy Akaji January 24, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I am devistated as I loved this show ‘Saving Hope’ It was genuine and the actors were terrific. I was a loyal fan but will not subscribe to cable so I guess I have lost a gem of entertainment. PITY.

Cheryl January 13, 2013 at 9:15 pm

As usual when I find a show that I like without all the sex cussing killing and blood it’s taken off the air. I usually watch CBS but found this show and loved it. So now back to CBS and won’t even try to watch anything on NBC ever again.

Laura Kelly January 6, 2013 at 6:11 pm

My husband and I really enjoyed this show. It was interesting and heartfelt, contrary to so much other TV out there these days. Very unfortunate decision for NBC.

BECKY S December 30, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Saving hope is well worth saving to many of us , and all I have to say is—are they making room for another sleazey reality show. Where has all of the imagination gone to on television? When they find it—–they cancel it.

Carolyn December 25, 2012 at 8:19 am

I enjoyed watching Saving Hope & didn’t miss one single episode. It is a terrific show & I am quite disappointed that it’s been dropped by NBC & so ubruptly! I can’t get stations from Canada & I’m thinking about buying it on DVD. I just wish that if NBC doesn’t pick it up that another station will…maybe ABC. Saving Hope was such a wonderful show with a fantastic cast & they are all great actors. The story line was inspiring & I think that it might have given a lot of people that watched it hope about one of their loved ones that might have been in a similar situation as in a coma even though it was fiction..where there’s life there’s hope, as we all well know. There is so much violence, vulgarity, etc. on TV that it was wonderful to watch a show without all of that. If it does come back on the air in the USA, I will watch every single episode & record it if I know that I’ll be out that night so that I can watch it before the next episode. For all of you fans out there, if you could get just one friend to leave a comment, maybe NBC will read all of them & put Saving Hope back on the air. I wish I had the e-mail address of NBC or even their street address so that I could write a nice letter to let them know all of the above. Anybody out there got that info? Merry Christmas to all of you & a Very Healthy & Happy New Year!

Annie December 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I am very dissappointed that this show has been cancelled. I made a point of watching it every week and then it just dissapeared. I found out about its abrupt end online. I really liked the drama and passion of the stories. I hope it returns and I will definately watch it. It is a decent show, without all the violence and sex. I might buy it on DVD

Michelle November 12, 2012 at 5:00 pm

This is certainly a HUGE disappointment! I just found Saving Hope on Hulu, but I watched all the episodes in three days (been sick in bed). I was so upset when it came to an abrupt end! I would purchase a DVD set, though I prefer that it just not be cancelled. I would for sure watch it. Not sure why it would be cancelled, especially since it is still showing in Canada. It seems that since it obviously has already been produced, there would not be extra cost to airing it. I can’t imagine that this would be a show that it not watched!

Cathy October 25, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I’m so sad its been taken off the air, I really enjoyed it. Maybe airing on another night?

Elizabeth October 25, 2012 at 10:03 am

This is the best show. Don’t know why they would cancel this but hope that it returns. I would much rather watch Saving hope then the office.

Lisa October 24, 2012 at 12:03 am

I love watching Saving Hope!! I want to see the last 2 episodes. NBC has taken off several wonderful shows. I don’t get stations from Canada on my satellite. What makes me really upset is NBC airs a lot of repeat shows such as The Voice to fill in when they don’t have anything else to broadcast. At the very least the could air a lower budget show like Saving Hope. We all need to start a boycott against NBC!!! I am all for it.

Debbie Briano October 23, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I agree w/ Kathy. This is definitely a terrific show. If I have to be away from home, I will record it so I don’t miss anything. I love Michael Shanks & Erica Durance but it hasn’t been on long enough to get to know some of the other characters that well. I like them none-the-less though and there hv been some terrific guest actors. I also agree that it shld be given more of a chance. I kept looking 4 the Season Finale…and now I see why I couldn’t find it. I am so very disappointed. Such a shame that such great shows get removed and yet some of those ridiculous shows remain. Plz keep it on the air. PLEASE!?

susie January 31, 2013 at 11:11 am

It is a great show. I will purchase the dvd set when it comes out. Hopefully a usa netwwork will pick up next season. I cant wait to see it. I just hope, people in the us can.

Kathy Terriquez October 23, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Seriously one of the BEST shows I have seen in a long time. Diverse and entertaining…I will follow this as long as it is available…even if I have to purchase the dvd’s. NBC sucks…I blocked it from my satellite. They want something that is not family orientated and the people they have working for them are retards! YES I could do better! I had just gotten 43 people to watch it and then the damn olympics took over and boom the last two shows disappeared. It was a new show…give it time to be seen!