NCIS: Los Angeles: CBS Renews Series for (Only) Season Two?

NCIS: Los AngelesCBS has given an early renewal to their new hit series, NCIS: Los Angeles. Though the early notice is certainly nice, it’s essentially been a done deal for awhile.

NCIS: Los Angeles, a spin-off of NCIS, follows a crack team of operatives that are charged with keeping our country safe from threats to national security. The show stars Chris O’Donnell, LL Cool J, Linda Hunt, Daniela Ruah, Adam Jamal Craig, and Peter Cambor.

The TV show got off to a very strong start in September and is still going strong. The dozen episodes that have aired so far have attracted an average of 16.8 million viewers and a 3.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

With numbers like that, a renewal was essentially a lock. If that wasn’t enough, the series also has some extra insurance that most shows don’t have.

Which NCIS is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In November, after being on the air for just seven weeks, NCIS: LA was sold in syndication to USA Network. Under the deal, USA will pay an estimated $2.2 million per episode. The cable channel can start airing episodes weekly beginning September 2011 and can begin running episodes five days a week starting in Fall 2013.

This deal all but guarantees that NCIS:LA will be on CBS for at least three seasons and very likely more. The crime drama is produced by CBS’ in-house studio so the network has financial incentive to keep it going even if ratings were to slip. Essentially, CBS could have saved time and renewed the series for year three as well.

The cast and crew will end up producing at least 24 episodes this season and it’s likely that they’ll end up making the same for 2010-11.

What do you think? Which is better — NCIS or NCIS:LA worth watching? How long do you think NCIS:LA will last?

Ileisha May 23, 2011 at 5:25 pm

The original NCIS is way better! LL Cool J is not believable as an agent. Hetty has some decent quotes sometimes but that’s about it. And I would take Ziva over Kensi any day to have my back. McGee does his tech stuff better than those two geeks put together on NCIS L.A. Each of the agents on NCIS has a backstory that gets referenced throughout the season which makes the stories believable. That’s not the case on L.A.

Julie Merritt May 21, 2011 at 11:24 am

I like both NCIS and NCIS LA. I am glad it is on in the fall for season 3. I want to see Callen remember what happened to him as a child and Hetty’s part in it. I wander if he is related to Hetty and her Romanian Crime family.

Anonymous May 1, 2011 at 11:46 am

Daniela Ruaha (KEnsi) is HOT!!!

Chris February 22, 2011 at 12:53 am

The Los Angeles spin-off is contrived, the characters are not believable, and the show has no interpersonal character as does NCIS. In the original series, the interaction between the key characters becomes another character in itself, an integral and necessary part of making the show so not-to-be-missed.
This show has none of that. The dialog is too often over-scripted, and with 3 CSI series and the original NCIS all offering much better character profiles and interaction, I found myself quickly bored with the Los Angeles series after only a few episodes of the box set, and found that I could care less about the fate of the “team”.
Psychologist team member walks in: “What’d I miss?”
(Correct answer is: NOTHING, your the damn psychologist, not an agent”!

No Gibbs, no Abby, no DeNozo, No McGeek…er, uh, McGee…and most importantly, no bad-ass Ziva! No head slaps, no witty banter.

Even the location is a miss. Come on, Los Angerles? NCIS: San Diego would at least have been halfway believable.

NCIS: LA misses the boat.

Anonymous February 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I like both of them, but I like NCIS L.A. best, for a few different reasons, for starters, DeNoso’s not sticking his nose into everybodies business all of the time, the team gets along much better, they seem to have more fun as well as crack jokes, but at the same time get thier work done. Then of course there’s the two cute guys that play on it, Sam and Callen.

Anonymous March 1, 2011 at 5:15 pm

What is wrong with you people???? The original NCIS is fantastic but NCIS-LA is painful to watch…I don’t care how “cute” the guys are! I agree with Chris entirely! To add: Linda Hunt, although likable in many roles she has taken on, is HORRIBLE in this role! On what planet would she be a credible NCIS agent??? Maybe the rest of the cast could be believable with a more realistic leader, based in San Diego, and better writing…but then again, it is LA…is it supposed to be as superficial as the city? Don’t know but I am shocked that NCIS-LA is still on the air.

Anouk January 29, 2011 at 9:49 am

Gosh what a terrible show NCIS LA, I think NCIS is one of the best series ever!!
But why make a spin off? I really do not like the cast of LA, however i agree with JDintheOC Linda Hunt is a fantastic! But for me it’s only NCIS
I love thos Mcgeeks <3 Gibbs is really the best for me

JDintheOC November 26, 2010 at 10:59 pm

The only person I care about on NCIS LA is Linda Hunt. The other actors are just forgetable. Iget the impression they’re trying to act . Scenes are carefully scripted to assure the camera can move from character to character and each one gets his/her lines in a proper order. I’ve been in many corporate meetings and it’s usually a free for all. In LA, it’s ‘A’ says lines then in 1.5 seconds ‘B’ says lines then in 1.5 seconds ‘C’ and so on. Real meetings don’t go that way.

Ruben September 30, 2010 at 4:53 am

i think ncis los angeles is better that ncis