Crossing Lines: A Second Season or Cancelled on NBC?

Crossing Lines canceled or renewed for season two?Last night, NBC aired the finale of Crossing Lines. The season ended on a cliffhanger that has viewers itching for season two. Will the show be renewed, or will it be cancelled instead?

Crossing Lines follows a former NYPD officer who’s become addicted to morphine and ends up working as a trash collector for a carnival in the Netherlands. The International Criminal Court recognizes his worth and recruits him to help investigate crimes that cross international borders.

The show stars William Fichtner, Marc Lavoine, Gabriella Pession, Tom Wlaschiha, Moon Dailly, Richard Flood, and Donald Sutherland.

The police procedural series debuted June 23rd to a disappointing 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.38 million viewers. The first hour ranked a distant third in its timeslot, easily beaten by a rerun of FOX’s Family Guy and the debut of Whodunnit? on ABC.

Though viewership is lower in the summer months, the peaock network could not be happy with these numbers. The later weeks saw them get even worse. Over the course of the season, Crossing Lines has fallen as low as a 0.5 demo rating and 2.51 million viewers.

If NBC were producing the Crossing Lines, there’d be no way that they would make a second season. There’s just not enough ad money to pay for the production.

Thankfully for fans, NBC doesn’t produce the show. Crossing Lines was jointly commissioned by TF1 in France and by Sony for their AXN channels.

NBC merely licenses the series so it costs them much less. Based on the ratings, it’s still extremely unlikely that the peacock network will air a second season.

However, there’s hope that another season will be produced by Sony and TF1. If that happens, another US channel could pick it up or, at the very least, episodes could be released on DVD. We’ll post any updates as they become available.

But, what do you think? Would you like to see a second season of Crossing Lines or should it be cancelled instead? Why didn’t more people watch? If NBC doesn’t want season two, which channel would be a better fit?

Marsh August 20, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Really liked this show…something for a viewer that actually likes a thinking man’s drama…
With so few shows for actual adults, it was a wonderful change of pace. Please bring it back…considering NBC’s track record, they could use something that is not mindless. Unfortunately, they didn’t promote it at all.

Franklin August 20, 2013 at 3:32 pm

My husband and I love this show we would love to see more

scarey August 20, 2013 at 3:29 pm

NBC did little to promote this show, and it is probably the best new show on television. Intelligent, well-written, acted and directed. Please let those of us with some serious intelligence have something smart instead of the stupid reality shows that appeal to the lower IQ’s now. This is a GREAT show and needs to continue!!!

Richard August 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Great locations and different story twists. NBC loses if they don’t renew.
Exotic cast adds to the mystery. I’ll be waiting for more.

pam August 20, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I really enjoyed the show and I hope it will be picked up by another channel Sunday night at 10 was not the right time slot. It was or has an edgy cast with great writers.

Arlene August 20, 2013 at 2:44 pm

This is a great show; unfortunately, its time slot on Sundays with cable offerings like True Blood, Dexter, Food Channel’s competitions, and BBC’s Copper, hurt it’s viewership. Thankfully, I could DVR it and watch it later in the week. It needs a different time slot or network. Hopefully, it will be renewed, or possibly picked up by another network.

Elyse August 20, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. While the main attraction for me is always William Fichtner, the show gave me the opportunity to see fresh, gifted talent from the other side of the pond. In addition, I loved the fact that the show was shot on glorious locations and not the back lot of a studio. The plot lines always kept you on the edge of your seat, hankering for the next episode. I also liked that fact that each show was both self-contained, but also carried a core story line throughout the series. I think it was a brave and successful collaboration. I certainly hope there is a season two.

Peggy August 20, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Please do t cancel although I don’t know why I comment as every show I love ends!
I remain hopeful!

Lisa August 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Please do not cancel it. It is one of my favorite Television shows. They need to cancel some of the reality shows. Alas the networks never listen to the viewers.

Cornelia August 20, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I love this show. I hope they will renew it!

Margaret August 20, 2013 at 1:36 pm

We really enjoyed watching Crossing Lines this summer. It is so different from other crime shows. Seeing Europe from a whole new perspective! We thought the combination of people from different nationalities and perspectives made it very interesting. Donald Sutherland held it all together. We got a kick out of him playing a Jack like “24” scene shooting bad guys in the rolled over car wearing white! Picked up a few tricks from Kieffer!
Hope to see it again next summer!

Jeanette Rae August 20, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Yes, I want to see Crossing Lines return. It’s different, has a new spin on things, is fast paced with an excellent cast. To kill this show off as it was left would be wrong, just as it was wrong to kill of many other excellent shows that were intelligent and thought provoking programs geared toward more mature audiences that are sick of crude and morally bankrupt sitcoms with absolutely no substance.
NBC needs to give those of us that appreciate a good story line something to enjoy.
Keep Crossing lines going, I will watch it no matter where it airs.

Teresa August 20, 2013 at 1:23 pm

It is so refreshing to have something on TV that is sophisticated, well-acted, interesting and entertaining. I’m so tired of the only options provided are Reality shows (too many by far!!!) someone’s attempt at “comedy” as an excuse for vulgarity and other brain-dulling offerings. Every time the Networks offer up something worthwhile (GOLDEN BOY, FLASHPOINT, for instance) it gets chopped and the fan base is left hanging. Really hope this show, with it’s wonderful cast, will return -

Melissa August 20, 2013 at 1:03 pm

My husband and I both enjoyed this show from the beginning. Was unlike anything else on TV and we hope it will come back on NBC or elsewhere.

Donnaa August 20, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Please do not cancel crossing linees. this is the best show on TV. It has a great cast.
It has all the action and thrills and intrigue you could want.