Tyler Perry’s House of Payne: Should the TV Series End?

House of Payne series finaleAfter 254 episodes and eight seasons, this evening marks the end of Tyler Perry’s House of Payne TV series on TBS.

In April 2011, the cable channel announced that they were ending the venerable sitcom, in part to make way for Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse. At that time, we understood the final episode total for House of Payne to be 220 installments.

In late September 2011, Perry posted on his Facebook page that TBS had ordered even more episodes. In December, the cast and crew had a wrap party that celebrated the completion of 254 episodes. We now know that was the last.

The series finale of House of Payne is called “All’s Well” and it caps off a very successful run. In fact, it’s the longest-running sitcom with a predominently African-American cast — surpassing The Cosby Show (201 episodes), Family Matters (215 installments), and The Jeffersons (253 episodes).

Still, it can be hard to say goodbye, even after a very long run. What do you think? Are you sorry to see House of Payne go? Should TBS have ended it? What will you miss?

A. Fields September 24, 2012 at 9:10 am

I hate they cancelled the House of Payne, and the last show they left us hanging. “Desperate Housewives” is the only show cancelled that give us a good ending. They showed what happen to the character in the future. I Love Mr. T. Perry work, but For Better or Worse. Just not that funny.

Kevin Newman September 23, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I think the way they ended house of Payne was messed up they should bring one season so we can find out happens next for calvin and miranda

Sarah September 21, 2012 at 5:52 pm

For Better or Worse is THE WORST!!! Sorry Tyler. I have tried to enjoy it. I cannot believe that it was chosen over HOP. Bad decision. I watched the final episode with anticipation and was terribly disappointed. The cast deserved better. They gave so much over the years that it should have been a celebation of them.

I pray that the cast has an opportunity to go back to work so that we have a new season this winter once TBS and Tyler see the ratings and cancel FBOW.

s a walton September 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I really hate to see the show end love the . Bring back

Anonymous September 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I really hate that the House of Payne got cancelled…. and to make room for For Better or for Worse, I mean really? HOP is definitely a much better show that families can relate to. Angela and Marcus was entertaining in Why Did I Get Married, but not in a tv series. This should really be reconsidered!

kealy September 21, 2012 at 9:50 am

Please bring it back it was by far best Tyler Perry show. Needs to come back! I’m going to miss Curtis!!!!! TBS sucks now I’m not watching it ANY MORE!!!!! MORE HOUSE OF PAYNE

Crystal P September 19, 2012 at 9:44 pm

PLEASE, PLEASE bring “House of Payne” back. It’s a great show, and made me actually look forward to Fridays. It gave me lots of reason to laugh. I hope they change their minds and keep the show on. In my opinion it’s the best show on TV. And what happen to “Meet the Brown” did they cancel that too?

vanessa September 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm

House of Payne is way better than For Better or Worse. Bring it back! The ratings won’t be the same!

Kim September 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

I hate that they cancelled HOP. It was and is my favorite sitcom on tv. The way that they ended it was awful, because there is still so much to be shown on the show. I have watched HOP since the very beginning and even though I am a white woman, I could relate to a lot of the show and its story. I have watched For Better or Worse and honestly I just don’t care for it. They need to bring HOP back to the air and back to life! We as fans love the show and they powers that be, need to stick with what works! I love Tyler Perry. I think that he is a genius. If the want to make room for FBOW they should show it during the summer months and show HOP September through May like a normal schedule. That way they have both shows on. Its my opinion, but TBS and Tyler Perry has made a terrible mistake that needs to be fixed now!

Janet September 15, 2012 at 7:07 am

You guys are crazy to take off the funniest show on TV . I love the Payne family. And if you tried hard enough you could of kept all the shows running and made room for them all. Ya here me.

Dianna September 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Love you uncle Curtis you heard me lol

Dianna September 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I could have watch HOP forever. I first started watching it in 2009 I was in the hospital on bedrest my water broke with my twins at 19 weeks. Tyler perry had me laughing so hard it was the highlight of my day. I don’t know why they ended it. I’ll never forget the laughs the show brought me.

Anonymous September 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

i so love House of Payne please dont let that b tha last episode

BRITTANY HOOD September 12, 2012 at 7:24 pm

PLEASE BRING HOUSE OF PAIN BACK I REALLY ENJOYED THE SEASONS AN I THINK IT SHOULD HAVE NOT ENDED THE WAY IT DID BECAUSE IT LEFT EVERYBODY WONDERING WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT PLEASE I BEG OF YOU TO BRING HOUSE OF PAIN BACK I LIKE FOR BETTER OR WORSE BUT I REALLY LOVE HOUSE OF PAIN

Kp September 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

please bring it back I love House of Payne better than For better or for worse just not funny to me and I like to laugh. The Payne Family have more real life issues that we can relate to other then Angela and Marcus. Just my opinion.