Tyler Perry’s House of Payne: Should the TV Series End?

House of Payne series finaleAfter 254 episodes and eight seasons, this evening marks the end of Tyler Perry’s House of Payne TV series on TBS.

In April 2011, the cable channel announced that they were ending the venerable sitcom, in part to make way for Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse. At that time, we understood the final episode total for House of Payne to be 220 installments.

In late September 2011, Perry posted on his Facebook page that TBS had ordered even more episodes. In December, the cast and crew had a wrap party that celebrated the completion of 254 episodes. We now know that was the last.

The series finale of House of Payne is called “All’s Well” and it caps off a very successful run. In fact, it’s the longest-running sitcom with a predominently African-American cast — surpassing The Cosby Show (201 episodes), Family Matters (215 installments), and The Jeffersons (253 episodes).

Still, it can be hard to say goodbye, even after a very long run. What do you think? Are you sorry to see House of Payne go? Should TBS have ended it? What will you miss?

Canceled and renewed TV show

256 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Nnennoo says

The last episode I watched was when Miranda left Calvin. Please bring back House of Payne. Its more entertaining and even more educative than For better—— and meet the browns. This is my personal view. It should not end. Get more series or repackage the older ones

2. Johnie & Branda Mason III says

We will continue to enjoy The House of Payne along with Meet The Brown and the many other wonderful works of teaching entertaiment that Tyler Perry produces. We have collected all of his work from his stag plays, sitcoms, and movies and continue to do so. All good things must come to an end but with Tyler’s gift and talent he always replaces it with new fresh ideas and learning. My wife Brenda and are looking forward to what will happen next. Keep them coming. It makes it easy for her to christmas & birthday shop for me. Brenda said morrrrrrrrrrrrrre Madea.

3. Miss Nika says

I love everything Tyler Perry gets his hands on and I’ve been watching House of Psyne since the beginning. I look forward to seeing what’s gonna happen on the next episodes and just wish that you could continue. My husband and I would watch it together and that’s one thing I can say that we enjoyed watching together.

4. Mrs Beautiful... says

I love everything that Tyler Perry has ever done but House of Payne is my favorite show!!! I would like to see the show continue because I would like to see where Calvin and Miranda ends up…please Tyler Perry…:)

5. Anonymous says

I love house.of.payne!!! This.is.a show.even my husband loved watching!! Personally we enjoyes the house of payne series much better than for better or worse. Bring it back! I looked forward to.watching.it.every friday!

6. Will Liverman says

A great disappiontment that the top executives of cable don’t see the timeliness of the show that deals with real problems in our culture in a humorious way that helps us see ourselves and open up wounds that can start to heal ourseleves, families and culture.
    For better or worse does not deal with or relate to situations that all of us face. BRING BACK THE HOP.

7. Maria T says

Tyler Perry,

Please buy TBS and you can have your own shows as a black female can relate . but you must have a sense of humor first.

8. pamela pristell from jamaica queens says

Please come back with house of paynes Mr.Perry please I enjoy watching your sitcoms your plays some day I wish I will get tom book pulbished to become famous yours truly Pamela from queens

9. Valerie Tyson says

I loved House of Payne I thought it was funny. TBS should bring it back. We don’t have to many black sitcoms as is.

10. says

Is Tyler perry really going off the air? if so then my prayers have been answered!! I HATED everything about that show and his stupid movies and dreaded Friday nights like I use to dread Wednesday nights!!!!

11. Sandy says

I think House of Payne is alot better than any other of his shows ! My ratings will go down as well as my ppl and we will watch reruns other than For better or worse !!

12. De'Andra says

Please bring it back, I just recently started watching this show and I really wish I had started it from the very first episode.. Don’t let a good show end so soon. There are so few right now, It hasn’t run its full course yet. Please give it some more thought about keeping the show around…Please

13. Anonymous says

I think house of payne should still go and Tyler should propbaly buy TBS so he can put the shows he wants and For better or worse is pretty good but House of Payne please come back and tht was a pretty good show so………. plz bring it back it touched a lot of us and whats gunna happen to calvin and miranda they looked like a great couple! I LOVE House of Payne with all my heart sooo pretty plz put it on but i still like For better or Worse! 😀 thank you!