Tyler Perry’s House of Payne: Should the TV Series End?

House of Payne series finaleAfter 254 episodes and eight seasons, this evening marks the end of Tyler Perry’s House of Payne TV series on TBS.

In April 2011, the cable channel announced that they were ending the venerable sitcom, in part to make way for Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse. At that time, we understood the final episode total for House of Payne to be 220 installments.

In late September 2011, Perry posted on his Facebook page that TBS had ordered even more episodes. In December, the cast and crew had a wrap party that celebrated the completion of 254 episodes. We now know that was the last.

The series finale of House of Payne is called “All’s Well” and it caps off a very successful run. In fact, it’s the longest-running sitcom with a predominently African-American cast — surpassing The Cosby Show (201 episodes), Family Matters (215 installments), and The Jeffersons (253 episodes).

Still, it can be hard to say goodbye, even after a very long run. What do you think? Are you sorry to see House of Payne go? Should TBS have ended it? What will you miss?

Canceled and renewed TV show

256 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. venessa says

Why would he end it like that, he has people woundering whats next. She coming back like last time, is the rest of the family going to know why they didn’t show up. Come on make more.

2. Christi says

House of Payne was one of my favorite shows of all time. It taught such great Christian values and tackled some really important life issues in a positive and poignant way. Plus I could never stop laughing at Curtis and his antics! Please bring the show back soon! I miss it already!

3. Reenie says

Please take For Better or Worse off and Put House of Payne back on. I don’t watch for better or Worse. not funny.

4. Valencia says

Please bring House of Payne and Meet the Browns back. Finally there was good black tv and once again WE’VE BEEN CANCELLED. We love you Tyler, please bring back good clean funny shows. America’s favorites. HOP and MTB.

5. A.S. says

WHY TYLER, LISTEN TO YOUR FANS. HOUSE OF PAYNE AND MEET THE BROWNS ARE BETTER THAN YOUR DUMB A** SHOW, FOR BETTER OR WORSE. YOU SOLD OUT TO TBS AND PARTNERED WITH OPRAH. HOUSE OF PAYNE ENDING SUCKED AND YOU KNOW IT. THE SHOW MUST CONTINUE!!! NOW YOU GOT SOFT WITH OPRAH AND BROUGHT TWO SOAP SHOWS ON HER NETWORK. THATS A SORRY MOVE. TIME FOR A BOYCOTT ON YOUR SHOWS!!!

6. Anonymous says

Please bring it back! I’ve used to watch reruns, but stopped after the abrupt ending. If it had to end it should have been done right. The ending was awful.

7. Husky Girl says

Please bring House Of Payne Back. It was a nice clean family show.
    They displayed good christian family values. Not like the immoral filth that
    is on TV today.

8. draco says

I didn’t see the series finale myself but after reading the synopsis, I can agree that the ending sucked big time. I personally believe the main problem was that this show ran out of ideas 2 seasons ago and should have been cancelled last year when most of everything was on a good note. Instead, the morons at TBS decided to cancel Meet The Browns( Which also ended prematurely) and give us another show based on the most obnoxious couple from Why Did I Get Married instead.
    I mean really, TBS, you had to give us a lame copout by having Miranda pull a Tracey on Calvin by walking out on him when he’s trying to be a good man to his woman? Does every woman who Calvin tries to be a good man to have to end up being a selfish and lowdown ***** who walks out on him? This angle was barely interesting with Tracey and it’s even less interesting with Miranda. As I said before, I am so glad I stopped watching this show and this suck ass ending made me even more glad that I did.

9. Tiffany Back says

I love the house of paynes in touch my heart in many ways. Some of the episodes u did I have gone through. Please. Please. Please. Don’t stopiung doing shows, movies, plays or anything u r awesome love ya.