My Own Worst Enemy: NBC Cancels Christian Slater TV Show

My Own Worst EnemyThough it was promoted ad nauseum during the coverage of the Summer Olympics, NBC could find few friends for their My Own Worst Enemy series. The TV show has been cancelled after airing just four episodes.

My Own Worst Enemy follows the strange life of Henry Spivey (Christian Slater), a hum-drum suburbanite with a wife and two kids (played by Madchen Amick, Taylor Lautner, and Bella Thorne). Unknown to Henry and his loved ones, he has a dual identity as a secret operative and trained killer named Edward Albright.

Edward works for a superspy organization under supervisor Mavis Heller (Alfre Woodard) and is partnered with friend and fellow operative Tom Grady/Raymond Carter (Mike O’Malley). Others in the series include Omid Abtahi, Saffron Burrows, James Cromwell, Sarai Givaty, Mark Ivanir, Mindy Sterling, Missy Yager, Eugenia Yuan, and Louis Giambalvo.

The show debuted on October 13, 2008 on NBC. Despite a lot of high-profile promotion, the premiere attracted only 7.27 million viewers and a 3.0/8 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The following week, the numbers dropped to 5.69 million and a 2.6/6. The most recent episode hit a low of 4.27 million and 1.8/5. Though Heroes has been struggling this season, Worst Enemy has been losing over 40% of its lead-in audience and more than that in the key demographic.

Should Enemy have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC has announced that they are cancelling the series following the completion of its ninth episode. It’s been confirmed that the network plans to continue to air the series until all of the episodes have been shown.

If Worst Enemy goes uninterrupted, the series finale should air on December 15th, the same night as Heroes’ so-called “fall finale.” Because of the abrupt cancellation, fans of Worst Enemy aren’t expected to be given any kind of conclusion to the show’s ongoing storylines. That’s enough to make even mild-mannered Henry angry. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Alex Arrell October 2, 2009 at 8:19 pm

This was my favorite show!!! and my mothers also. this is a big mistake!!! this was a outstanding show. Please put this show back on Air. We have waited to long. this is what the people want!!!

Jason September 30, 2009 at 3:49 pm

You have to be kidding…. we loved this show and just found out it’s been cancelled. NBC, you need some people working for you that actually have a brain in their heads…. this was a great show! You didn’t even give it a chance.

asif September 22, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Show was really interesting needed more time to grow on people, they should give it another season to see how well it will do, series like this need time to get into it. I started watching it from the day one, wife hated it and I kept watching said you will see how it goes, soon she got hocked on it, and now asking if its going to come back or was it like a mini series.

sean September 18, 2009 at 8:45 am

I really enjoyed watching the show….Please bring it back….can’t believe it wasn’t doing good!!! everyone around me loves this show….. its shame….

Dana September 14, 2009 at 4:12 am

I thought the show was really interesting and I wanted character resolution. Perhaps you guys should find a new way to market a short series…like movies used to be in mini-series. This would allow for resolution–you left me hanging!

toni September 7, 2009 at 11:14 am

bring it back, please

Denise September 4, 2009 at 8:26 pm

I can’t believe NBC cancelled this show. I loved every minute of it. HUGE MISTAKE!! Christian Slater is brilliant in this. Seriously give the show to a different network so the rest of us loyal followers can continue to enjoy the show.

Juan September 1, 2009 at 7:31 pm

This was such a great show. I can’t believe they canceled such a good quality show. There is so much trash (reality show etc….) on TV. It is getting harder to find good quality television shows. Such a great concept, and great cast. Too bad NBC didn’t have the stomach to stick it out.

LadyQ August 24, 2009 at 8:23 pm

I loved this show! It was GREAT! NBC always cancels the great ones! I used to sit with my mom and watch every monday night even though I had to be at work 4:30 am the next morn. As far as ratings go, maybe it was off to a slow start due to cheesy promos but once you got into it, you were hooked.

pissed August 16, 2009 at 7:51 am

i loved the show and how could you cancel it and it got low ratings due to you nbc idiots putting it on too late at night on a monday with monday night football

Anonymous August 7, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Sell this show to SCI FI, im sure they would pick it up, and later NBC would buy it back because it is a great show, the advertising for it was not good (too cheesy) but once people watch the show most get hooked.

Poor choice NBC

Daniel July 15, 2009 at 9:19 am

If there is anyone who will pick this show up and continue to run the series, i will get a following of viewers. Lets go. Great series. Great idea! awesome acting! intelligent writing! good show.

holly July 4, 2009 at 11:14 pm

it cant be cancelled if there are now nine episodes, not foour

LFDN July 1, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I just now started to watch this show in I got huck to bad I didn’t read this before I wasted my damn time, NBC you or a poor excuse for a network if you don’t want anything to do with this serious then give it to a network that would love to continue the story and seasons

anonymous says June 23, 2009 at 1:18 pm

For sure what the F__K I didn’t even know the show was cancelled,and this sucks about as bad as Journey man being cancelled, talk about just geting into watching a show and it’s like poof it’s gone. Bring back both put them on a night that has no other goods shows on. You ask witch days take your pick Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, but not the weekends people have a life and go out except on Sundays. Come on now everyone likes Monday for a good show give me a break.