October Road: After a Disappointing Season, Is the Series Finished on ABC?

October RoadDespite a slew of negative reviews from critics last year, ABC’s midseason drama, October Road, attracted an average of 10.2 million viewers for its six episode season. The series typically lost a large percentage of viewers from its Grey’s Anatomy lead-in but it was enough to earn Road a second year. Now that the second season has finished airing, will there be a year three?

For whatever reason, October Road hit a slump in its sophomore year. Prior to this month, the series had been averaging fewer than five million viewers. ABC had ordered 13 episodes for year two with the option of expanding it to 22 episodes if needed. With the writers strike and the disappointing ratings, the network didn’t feel they needed any more.

Last month, ABC announced that several of its series had been renewed for the fall season and, not surprisingly, October Road was absent from the list. If network executives were waiting until March to see the performance of the final three episodes, the show’s cause wasn’t helped. March 3rd’s episode attracted only 5.3 million viewers and a 2/5 rating/share of the 18-49 demographic. This week’s two hours averaged a dismal 4.7 million viewers and a 1.8/5 rating/share. Compared to last season’s finale, that’s a loss of almost 50% in total viewers.

Since it looks pretty unlikely that Nick and the other residents of Knights Ridge will be back for a third season on ABC, will we ever learn the identity of Sam’s father? Maybe.

There is talk that the CW and Lifetime are interested in continuing the series should ABC let it go. CW could certainly use the ratings as none of their present programming comes close to attracting Road’s viewership. On the other hand, Road would fit well with Lifetime’s other programming.

We’ll know ABC’s decision by mid-May at the latest. If they don’t want to continue the drama, it will be interesting to see if some other network does. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Brad from Oregon September 7, 2009 at 3:26 am

Crazy, I just found this show on Hulu and thought it was great.

Too bad it ended, I watched both seasons this summer and just finished up the last episode. It’s sad to say but I actually held off watching the last few episodes because I’d already heard the show was canceled and didn’t want it to end so soon.

Craig August 25, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Came across this while surfing hulu and have been utterly enthralled with the show. Maybe the marketing was poor or I just havent followed tv lately, but dang this show rocked. Had all the music from the years when I was growing up, some of my favorite actors and actress and an amazingly down to earth story. Loved the show immensely and have been addicted ever since episode one left me hanging about Sam’s father.

Software developer in Washington hoping someone will pick this show up again and at least finish off the loose ends. Best show I have seen in 10 years.

cj August 24, 2009 at 5:31 am

i was recomended this tv series a couple weeks ago and fell in love with it. i found myself hooked from the opening scene in episode 1 and then to my disapointment found out that they cancelled it after 2 seasons boy does that suck, i hope another network picks this show up because it is truly the best on tv.

Wendy August 11, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I stopped watching tv 4 years ago because of all of the garbage but just started watching movies on HULU. I found October Road and fell in love with it. There hasn’t been a cast that has interacted quite as well in such a long time. I am devastated to know that there is no 3rd season. PLEASE!!!! Please bring it back. Even if I have to wait until it comes out on DVD.

Anonymous June 27, 2009 at 3:19 pm

the last dvd of the second season had a finale as a bonus feature. what a disappointment that was-about 15 minutes of how all of the 2nd season left off.

Warda K June 14, 2009 at 4:32 am

This is so heart breaking.
I loved it. They did very wrong.. October Road was where you can relate to the characters & understand what they felt , apparently the viewers only want gossip related programmes , atleast one should be there that makes sense & shows what kind of people there are.
I request each and everyone of the people to be requested.
To keep it going.
Please. Dont stop it.

ali May 30, 2009 at 8:22 am

bring it back……I love it

admin May 17, 2009 at 9:12 pm

@mary ann Kirchner: Sorry but the show was cancelled quite awhile ago. The second season has just been released on DVD and includes a short finale.

mary ann Kirchner May 17, 2009 at 7:58 pm

I mean come on we love october road….when will it be on again…I have been waiting all year for it..so have a lot of other people…we could relate to it… I am so sick of reality shows…Please when will it be back on…what the heck happen you left us hanging..I am a 58 year old and so are my friends..and we are the ones that watch tv…thank you

Elisa Flores May 11, 2009 at 4:41 pm

I believe that the show showed be aired again it was GREAT!!!!

hinkie May 3, 2009 at 6:29 pm

bring it back damn it

kelly January 28, 2009 at 2:40 pm

i love this show…
everything about it i would be very disapointed if it doesnt show again!!1

Anna January 18, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Is this series cancelled? I really looked forward to watching this show. I loved all of the characters…casting was great. Please say it ain’t so…..if it is cancelled, hopefully another network will pick it up. Let us know.

abbey January 12, 2009 at 6:35 pm

i love this show.
it is amazing.
the characters are awesome.
viewers have really gotten to know and love them.
please give it another season.
it is so outstanding.
it’s the best show on abc.
who cares about slutty doctors or housewives.
these characters are REAL. people can relate to them.
please.
keep it on the air.

Lora S January 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm

This is so disheartening to learn that over & over again television no longer is worthwhile entertainment for any age group. If it hadn’t been for Hallmark this winter season we wouldn’t have bothered with the tv. Even the food channels, fix-it programs etc. repeat themselves into the ground. Its time for board games, cards, books and puzzles.
October Road had the feel of Ed Burns’ ” The Groomsmen” and “Beautiful Girls”. The critics should watch a few Irish/Scottish/ films etc. to learn how to engage all ages with chums, family, sentiment and humor.