Enlightened: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Three?

Enlightened HBO TV show canceled or renewed?This Sunday night marks the second season finale of Enlightened, HBO’s low-rated drama. Other than Curb Your Enthusiasm, Enlightened is the cable channel’s only scripted series whose fate is still up in the air. Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound & Down, Game of Thrones, Girls, The Newsroom, Treme, True Blood, and Veep will all be back for new seasons .

TVLine recently talked to Enlightened co-star and creator Mike White about the show’s fate:

So I saved the toughest question till the end: Will we get a Season 3 of Enlightened? Do you have a sense of which way the network is leaning?
To be totally honest, I usually have a gut about these things, but this time around I really feel like it could go either way. I felt like we had little chance of coming back as of just a few weeks ago. But it seems like in the last couple of weeks, we’ve had more people voicing their affection for the show. And internally at HBO, the executives themselves are big fans. I’ve met with them, and I know the pros and cons. I just hope that they’ll decide soon. All day long I’m being asked this question by journalists, by actors who are on the show, by people in my life. Psychologically, I’m either free as a bird or I have eight or 10 episodes of television to write as quickly as possible. It’s a lot to deal with. We’ve kind of been on the precipice for a while.

What do you think? Are you a fan of the series? Are you hoping that it’s renewed?

MR December 27, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Please don’t cancel this show. It is well written, well acted, funny, sad and addictive. The flaws in each of the main characters is what makes them real and appealing.

ED M July 25, 2013 at 3:36 pm

The Second Season was great TV. It’s very unfortunate that more people don’t know about this show. Hopefully it will get some nominations and will result in HBO keeping the show alive for another season.

lilylady126 July 12, 2013 at 11:48 am

This is a quirky , unique and adorable show. Acting and writing is wonderful. Hope it stays on!!!

Anonymous May 4, 2013 at 4:05 am

I just love this show and had hoped it would get a 3rd season

moira1971 April 6, 2013 at 1:50 am

This, amazing show is real to life!how can they not pick up another season?Laura dern, and mike white, thankyou for writing this series.HBO please do’t leave us hanging on the edge of our seat’s.

Donna March 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

One of the few shows in the sea of bad television that I look forward to and they want to cancel it?? Maybe it can get picked up by Netflix?!

David Sauri March 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Be an agent of change, save Enlightened. Please voice your support and sign the petition to save the show!

Carol P Christ March 23, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Just discovered this wonderful series through announcements of its cancellation. Hope someone else will pick it up!!!

Julie March 23, 2013 at 11:28 am

I LOVE ENLIGHTENED!!!!! It is different from what I usually watch, but when I got into it I couldn’t help but come back for more. LOVED the characters!! I found myself laughing a lot in the second series and at times getting chills up my spine. It deserves to come back for at least a third series.

Nina March 20, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I cannot, can NOT, CANNOT believe HBO is keeping The Newsroom and cancelling the BRILLIANT Enlightened. I’m furious.

Where’s the online petition to save this show?

Kathleen1513 March 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm

It is the best written show, such great acting and so entertaining! HBO should do the right thing and renew for Season 3!!!!

Andrew March 17, 2013 at 1:04 am

The show needs to come back for a third season, and this time don’t stiff us with only a couple of episodes, maybe even make the show an hour, and include some new characters, with Amy being out of work the show is open to new possibilities. One thing I did not like about the show was the way Amy was using Tyler, that was not cool. I was starting to rout for Eileen. I hope Molly Shannon and Tyler come back.

Jules March 16, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Love love love this show so much. It’s pure genius. I savor each episode.

Anonymous March 16, 2013 at 8:55 pm

It’s extremely clever and the actors are the best!