Standoff: Cancelled? Will It Be Back?

StandoffAs serial dramas go, Standoff is one of the lucky ones. After several new series from the 2006-2007 season bit the dust, this one miraculously survived and FOX even ordered additional episodes. But now, after being M.I.A. for months, has Standoff’s luck finally run out?

Standoff debuted back on September 5, 2006 on FOX. The series focuses on an FBI Crisis Negotiation Unit whose members negotiate hostage situations and, of course, share relationships. The series stars Ron Livingston, Rosemarie DeWitt, Gina Torres, Michael Cudlitz, Raquel Alessi and Jose Pablo Cantillo.

Following an episode of popular medical drama House, the Tuesday night Standoff premiere attracted a healthy 13.7 million viewers (retaining 70% of its lead-in). Before going on hiatus for the World Series, the ratings dropped to an average of 8.4 million.

When Standoff returned on November 1st at 8pm, without the benefit of the House lead-in, Standoff really got clobbered and viewership dropped to fewer than five million people. FOX hoped this was a temporary condition and showed it’s support by upping the episode order to 19 for the season.

The ratings didn’t really improve and FOX pulled the series after December 12th. The last original episode to air attracted about the five million. FOX ran House reruns in the subsequent weeks and attracted almost two million more than what Standoff had been getting.

When the series was pulled in December, FOX had said that it would return in early 2007. It was then revealed that Standoff would return in March on Friday nights when television viewership is much lower. That date passed and FOX now says that Standoff will return in June. Will it really happen this time?

With eight original episodes already completed and paid for, it’s almost a sure thing that Standoff will actually return. Unfortunately, the series return now won’t occur until well after FOX has decided on their new Fall schedule.

FOX says that Standoff hasn’t been officially cancelled. But, based on its ratings track record and FOX’s reluctance to bring it back to the schedule, a second season looks highly unlikely. We’ll keep you posted if things change. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

alice September 20, 2008 at 7:03 am

I’m french and I discovered this serie for 1month and I love it !!
BRING STANDOFF BACK !!!

gwen July 5, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Standoff is a great show to watch. we LOVED it. please bring it back

Susie June 30, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Hi Give Standoff another go in 2008 since we love it so much and so little to watch outside of politics.

Mike June 30, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Bring Standoff back!!!! Were tired of watching re-runs of CSI…….

Sandie June 11, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Please bring back Standoff. It is a great show. It had a great blend of intense drama and characters. Keep the cast as it was. It’s really annoying to get into a show and then it is cancelled. Please bring it back.

Barbara January 11, 2008 at 6:44 am

I am very unhappy every time I get into a show it is alway get cancelled so please put it backonor let me know how I can get the dvd of the show so I can watch it when ever I want I really love that show thank

Christen January 3, 2008 at 10:11 am

Standoff rocked..it just wasn’t in a good time slot. It should’ve come on BEFORE House.

Kayla December 29, 2007 at 7:07 pm

Standoff was and still is one of my favorite shows. I really do hope you bring it back. i pray that you will.

Jan December 5, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Standoff was a well done show, well-acted and exciting… great relationships… I hope it is brought back.

Daniellle November 27, 2007 at 5:24 am

I really like this show and hope it doesnt get cancelled, but like with all shows that do there should at least be a last long episode to wrap up all the loose ends for the people who do watch. It is very aggrivating to watch a show every week it comes on and then just never hear about it again, loyal viewers of any show like to have closure, even if the show ends before you want it to.

Deb & Bob in Michigan November 5, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Dang.. so we were wondering what happened that the show wasnt on the air no longer.. so finally started researching the net to find out if it was cancelled.

Sure hope not !!

FOX if your listening .. you DID have a potenial hit here.. as stated earlier, you just kept changing timeslots.. and messing with it.. to the point it was hard to find.

We found Standoff to be a highly entertaining show,.. looked forward to watching it.. with the brilliant storylines and super acting!

PLEASE RECONSIDER.. AND BRING BACK THE SHOW!! We’re keeping our fingers crossed!

Febbie Napial October 26, 2007 at 11:49 pm

Standoff is great!!! Its something you know. Its very awesome and i cant wait to see to see emily and matt again. I just hope another season will come… I really appreciate this series among all. Let standoff back on screen…please????….STandOff is great… If there is one reason why i wanna watch fox its because of standoff. So bring it back…

Jules October 24, 2007 at 4:41 pm

I don’t understand why a network will pour their money into a show if they’re not willing to give it a time slot and leave it there long enough to become established. I’m so sick of these temporary shows that pre-empt the regular ones (American Idol, The Bachelor, Dancing With the Stars). It doesn’t take a genius to see that interrupting a show’s season is going to be a ratings problem. What a waste of time, money, and talent in developing what was an unusually good show.

Cyndy October 24, 2007 at 3:56 pm

Please see article “Green Room Chatter for August 25, 2007″ this gives an update on Ron Livingston and says that he’s no longer busy with StandOff. I would take this as it has been cancelled and it does not show in the listing of shows on FOX’s main website for their shows.

You can also keep track of many of the stars in the IMdB the Internet Movie Data Base. Its a great way to keep with with all the stars.

EM October 23, 2007 at 4:43 pm

I really love this show! I hope FOX brings it back because it is not like the other police shows on the other networks!