Alcatraz: New FOX Prison Series; Cancel or Keep It?

Alcatraz TV show cancel or keep?The FOX network had great success with their Prison Break series for four years. They’ve now introduced a new TV show that revolves around Alcatraz, the most famous penitentiary in the United States. Will Alcatraz run for years or will it be quickly cancelled instead?

The Alcatraz series begins with the following statement: “On March 21st, 1963, Alcatraz officially closed. All the prisoners were transferred off the island. Only that’s not what happened. Not at all.” It turns out that every prisoner in the facility mysteriously vanished and they start reappearing nearly 50 years later, looking just the same.

FBI Agent Emerson Hauser (Sam Neill), Detective Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones), and Alcatraz expert “Doc” Soto (Jorge Garcia) work together to capture the felons and try to uncover where they’ve been. Others in the cast include Jonny Coyne, Parminder Nagra, Santiago Cabrera, Jason Butler Harner, and Robert Forster.

Should Alcatraz be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The FOX series debuted last Monday with a pair of episodes that averaged a 3.3 in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 10.05 million total viewers. It was the best series premiere that FOX has had this season. What’s more, there seemed to be very little erosion as the two hours progressed, a good indication that those viewers would return the next week.

And they did. It’s not uncommon to see the numbers slip by 15-20% in the second week but Alcatraz only dropped 9% in the demo and about the same in total viewers. Last night’s episode drew a 3.0 in the demographic with 9.03 million.

TV show supportThe show is currently averaging a 3.2 rating in the demo and 9.71 million total viewers. It’s the sixth highest rated scripted series on the network this season (out of 16) and registers a “B” on our FOX report card. It’s outperforming venerable shows like House and Bones and freshman shows like Terra Nova and The Finder.

Unless the ratings continue to fall, it looks like Alcatraz will be around for awhile — hopefully long enough for the mystery to be solved in a satisfying way.

But, what do you think? Do you like Alcatraz? Is it worth watching week after week? Do you think it should be renewed for a second season or cancelled?

Canceled and renewed TV show

66 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Kathy Kahle says

I had only seen previws but never watched but recorded it…..I think it is a great show because it makes you think…….unlike American Idol…which is really silly!

2. Tammy says

They need to keep the show love the mystery leaves you hanging and wanting more…. So please do not cancel the show…. Love it………………..

3. Ken says

Please keep the show. Great story line, great attention to detail between the present and the past, great everything.Awesome show!

4. Emerson Hauser says

The problem is that people don’t want to get into shows that have rumors of cancellations attached to them. Why invest the time into a series that you know is not going to last the season? Stop with all the cancellation talk regarding any series and I’m sure you’ll have more viewers.

5. brooklyn schmitz says

KEEPPPP ITTTT PLLLEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)!!

6. Limone Jones says

I absolutely love this snow! It keeps me hanging week after week, it definitely stands out from all the other shows that are on these days· I think it has a great combination of mystery and action and it looks like its starting to up· In my opinion it is definitely a KEEPER!

• brooklyn schmitz says

i absolutey love this show too. my sister and i r going to be very very sad if it canceled!!!! in my opinion it is definitly a KEEPER FOREVER!!!! plz help us save this tv show……..this tv show is about crime,mystery,action,cant wait to see the next show!!! plz save alcatraz. thanks!! :]

7. Asashii says

i cant do old out dated creature of the week stuff that was played out like almost 2 decades ago, the industry has become stagnant and stale and what they broadcast shows, Major network TV is for the easy entertained and the sheep masses, Go Cable if you want to be in this Centuries viewing pleasure IMO!

8. corey landwehr says

like the show .like the intrigue about it.the actors in the show are very good.,bet you they cancel this show.the reason is ,they dont want you to use your imigination or your brain.lets leave shows like raising hope ,stupid comedy well enough said

9. George Trendle says

This show has potential, but I disagree with the previous post. Sam Neill is a horrible actor, or at least in this role. The show would fair better if they replaced him. Sarah Jones is great in her role and is by far hotter then Kara Thrace. Both actresses have blond hair, but that seems to be the only thing in common. Conclusion, Dump Sam Neill and you have a winner, as long as you don’t mess up the ending.

10. Lauren Glenn says

I tried watching it, but I’m not really into it. I guess it’s starting off how Lost did and will find itself later. My only problem with it is the cast. I just don’t like them.

Sam Neil is a good actor, but he just seems like he doesn’t know what to do when he’s at Alcatraz but when he shot the guy in the hand, I said to myself that, “maybe it won’t be that bad.”

All in all, I might just watch it but I don’t have an overwhelming desire to do so. Person of Interest is a better sell for me and the Mentalist is still good, but this show’s just not doing it for me. Maybe if I wasn’t so bitter about how they ended lost last time, and maybe if JJ Abrams didn’t do a better job with MI:3 and Star Trek, I’d be interested but I just can’t…. it still needs time to develop but I absolutely don’t like the Kara Thrace-lookalike they have as the FBI agent.