Heroes: Tim Kring Plans TV Series Ending and Possible Future

HeroesHeroes creator Tim Kring has issued a none-too-humble statement about the end of the NBC series. The ratings have dropped a lot since the show’s big splash on NBC back in September of 2006. While the show still has a lot of fan support, that doesn’t necessarily translate into ways that the network can make money. Kring doesn’t hold the cancellation against the network and said…

I want to first extend my deepest gratitude and heartfelt appreciation to the legion of enthusiastic fans who have watched ‘Heroes’ on TV, online, DVR, DVD and mobile over the last four seasons.

Every week more than 45 million TV viewers around the world, as well as millions of social and digital media-based fans, have made ‘Heroes’ one of the five most-watched shows across traditional and digital media screens in the history of television.

For NBC, I certainly understand the challenge of creating a business model around a show which arrived precisely as the audience was finding new ways to watch traditional content on multiple screens. I personally have had 12 great years with my friends at NBC, and with ‘Heroes,’ they provided me a rare opportunity to put a message of hope, interconnectivity and global consciousness into the world.

For that I am grateful and look forward to finalizing our discussion about a number of ways to keep the ‘Heroes’ universe alive for its fans.

NBC’s primetime entertainment president, Angela Bromstad, confirmed this week that discussions had begun regarding plans to produce a two-hour Heroes event. This would be aimed at providing closure for longtime fans of the series.

The event would likely be split into two parts and included in the syndication package with the rest of the TV show’s 77 episodes.

What do you think? Can Heroes be wrapped up in a two-hour movie? In what other ways could the show continue? Comics, books, animation or perhaps something that’s online-only?

Canceled and renewed TV show

39 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Katie says

This is HORRIBLE news to me! What are they smoking over there at NBC? BAH I feel like black listing NBC now. I swear every good show out there gets cancelled nowadays. And NO I dont think 2 hours is enough are you crazy? Did the rest of NBC even watch the show?????
    Who was in charge of advertisement and at what time was the show airing? I dont even have a freakin tv but Ive watched every episode of heroes…and its the only reason I even remembered NBC existed!!! GHUAAA!!! wtf!!!
    Go ahead NBC sink your own ship, Im not watching another show of yours until YOU FINISH THE SHOWS YOU START!!!

2. Charles KiLo says

NO! Heroes MUST continue!!!!!!!! Sylar just turned good, and I don’t want the series to end!!! It makes me very sad that my favorite show in the world isn’t airing anymore. I hope they decide not to end the series, but if they do, it better go out with a bang. I’m going to miss Heroes a lot.

3. I love heroes says

i don’t want it to go off the air why cain’t sy-fy pick it up like TNT did southland.by the way it should come out with a 2hour long movie i would die 2 see that.heroes made monday nights so amazing.so whatever they gonna do ,do it right. Heroes Fan 4 life

4. jose says

i like how they came up with different character all over the world. how it connected and some didnt at first but that wat made it great cuz u had to think and then you would of known how it connected!!! keep the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! save the show save the world!

5. jose says

The show needs to continue. all these heros and futur scense that i saw need to be connected! and make sence. it cant be wraped up in two hours! it will be perfect if it continues the same with the same ppl online. heros is an awsome show! it inspires me that i can do good! and thanks to that i want to be like Peter wanting to help people. im even wanting to be a paramedic and save people. everyone is special

6. Not even close says

This series got away from them after season 1. The storylines were deep and broad. I honestly think that the creators weren’t expecting such great success, and therefore didn’t really plan where the series would go. When you have that many complex characters who are so interconnected, I imagine it’s pretty hard to keep it all tight. I loved season 1 so much. I wish that they had stuck to the original scheme instead of continuing to spiral further away from the origins. Every season and chapter felt like a reboot meant to breathe new life into it.
    It would be GREAT if a series creator would sit down and plan out a story from beginning to end. I feel like this show could have been groundbreaking had they done that. Had they known from the beginning where this was going and how it would it, Heroes would have survived.

7. Lori says

I’d prefer four hours but I guess I could live with two. And Derek, maybe for you and some people it was a good ending.

8. Derek says

Just cancel it. We already have a good ending for the show…it was the last episode of season 1.

9. RD Callis says

I believe that NBC owns Sy-Fy because early on in the shows history they showed the episodes a few days later on Sy-Fy for awhile. Why don’t they make this the next big thing for Sy-Fy to continue like Stargate SG-1. Sy-Fy has become quite popular over the last few years and Heroes would be a perfect fit for the channel. I know NBC has cited cost as an issue but I don’t buy that bs. There have been very little special effects in the last few seasons no more than on SG-1 or Atlantis. This could be the answer but I am sure its already been shot down the the NBC suits.

10. Dave says

How about doing a finale like last seasons Torchwood? 5, two hour episodes shown over the course of one week, like a mini-series. Would give plenty of time to really develop and finish the mythology of the series and clear the time slot for the rest of the season to present a new show.

11. dylan says

a two hour event to end will be great to give heroes a proper ending and to give closure for the fans.
    However i do think making comic boooks would be cool if they want to carry on but i think that if the two hour event will end heroes and have proper and not leave it open then they should leave it there

I LOVE HEROES

12. JVC says

Heroes? 2 hours? To do it right, it’s got to be a four hour 2 night movie event. Like 24 does its season premieres