How I Met Your Mother: CBS Sitcom to End After Eight Seasons?

How I Met Your MotherNot since Friends has there been a more tightly-knit group of sitcom characters than those on How I Met Your Mother. It’s hard to imagine what the show would be without Alyson Hannigan, Cobie Smulders, Jason Segel, Josh Radnor, or Neil Patrick Harris.

Well, we might find out in a few years. In a recent interview with GQ, Segel noted that he has three years left on his How I Met Your Mother contract. The actor/director/writer intends to leave the sitcom when that time comes.

He said, “It’s an amazing place to be. But when you become an actor, part of it, the secret part of it, is that you don’t want to work a regular nine-to-five job. And the secret part of a TV show is that it’s a nine-to-five job. And eight years is longer than any relationship I’ve ever been in, it’s longer than any school I went to. I think after eight years, I’ll feel like I honorably did my commitment.”

Should Mother continue without the whole cast?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Segel continued, “It’s funny — it’s the greatest problem in the world to have. Jeez — I’m the luckiest guy in the world. But when your idol is Peter Sellers, playing one character for eight years isn’t what you’re trying to do. I don’t really feel like I have that much more to offer with this character. Maybe if we got divorced or something — but that’s not gonna happen. It’s gonna be some iteration of, like, my TV wife opens the fridge, and she’s like, ‘What happened to the birthday cake?’ And I walk in with a little frosting here [points to corner of mouth] like, ‘What birthday cake?’”

CBS, 20th Century Fox TV, and the show’s producers haven’t commented on Segel’s intention to leave but he’s probably not the only one. The other actors’ contracts also expire at the end of season eight. The fivesome signed a new contract in 2009 that brought their per-episode salaries to $90,000-$120,000 retroactively and extended their commitment to eight seasons.

The higher-ups could be planning on ending How I Met Your Mother after eight seasons or they could opt to continue on with as many original castmembers as they can get and/or afford.

What do you think? Should the sitcom continue without the core cast intact? Does season eight sound like a good place to end it?

shreder August 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm

They should continue with the show just because they left it off at such a terrible spot

Stacey Klein January 16, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I think HIMYM should end on
a high note for all the characters.
It should be a happy occasion for
all of them. I enjoyed the show and
it has had a good run. Have a great
ending episode…

mackia wagner August 14, 2013 at 3:59 am

If you don’t have the original cast then what is there? Maybe if you find a way around it and like someone else said have him appear on the show a few times it might be ok butt I feel like it just wouldn’t be the same. I will definitely be said to see it end but also if it continued and I didn’t like it id so be bummed.

Kim December 10, 2012 at 9:48 pm

They could have Lilly and Marshall move away for a new job or something. Have them do a couple shows in the next season, but definitely do NOT replace them.

Itso November 6, 2012 at 9:14 am

Had a bet with my mate that HIMYM would go on to eclipse Friends as the GOAT and I’ll defo lose the wager if it continues with an altered cast . Not saying that noone is irreplaceable but it just won’t be the same.

Aric October 30, 2012 at 6:57 pm

You know what, I love this show. It’s like the highlight of my day. This cast was and is the best choice for it also, I mean can you really imagine replacing Segal with someone else? Lily and Marshall are the perfect duo and you can’t just replace him like that you know. If it’s not the original cast then please do not continue, it just won’t be the same at all. People compare this show to “Friends”, which was amazing to say the least, so if you are going to end this “Legen- wait for it-……….dary” show, then by all means end of the correct way and give the audience what they are looking for.

kick_ass May 14, 2012 at 7:29 am

If Marshall won’t be in for season 9, then just end it. Season 7 finale which will be airing tonight is a pretty big episode. They have started revealing Barney’s wife, maybe Ted’s will be unveiled pretty soon.

But really, without Marshall, I don’t I’ll love it as much as I love it now.

Nicole April 17, 2012 at 10:34 am

I don’t think they should end it after eight seasons. There’s still so much they can do, even if one or two of the characters were to go off of the show. I seriously think this show should go on for one or two more seasons after eight, at least. Because it’s an awesome show, definitely my favorite, and so many people look forward to watching it, as a fan myself, I’ll be crushed. Keep it around for a couple more seasons after eight.

JohnnyW November 11, 2011 at 10:15 am

They should totally end it after 8 seasons. I hate seeing my favourite shows going downhill, and there’s only so much they can do with these characters. I don’t want to see it becoming a lame broad version of itself, just because they’ve been offered a lot of money. Have some artistic credibility, guys.

Joe August 23, 2011 at 4:30 am

Whatever happens, do NOT continue without any of the core cast. If Segel wants to leave after the eight season, just make sure the story is complete after the first season. If the whole cast agrees for a 9th season, make a 9th season if you have the material. But don’t let it continue without the core cast. Other sitcoms showed that really fucks up it’s legacy.

Elliott August 19, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I agree with ellie up there. If something is awesome, don’t squeeze all the awesome out until there’s only a few drops left; and then you take those drops mix it with other stuff and try to continue to pass it on as the original awesome stuff. the same thing happened to That 70′s Show when they hit Season 8 and they replaced Eric Foreman with that pretty boy, who wasn’t funny at all by the way, and then they got rid of Michael Kelso. That show could’ve ended on the 7th season but HAD to continue which kinda messed it up. I don’t want the same thing to happen to HIMYM

ellie July 19, 2011 at 10:50 am

It needs to end after 8 seasons. I love HIMYM but look at scrubs as the example it was contracted to last only 8 seasons and they continued to 9 and Ofcoarse the 9th season was the worse season ever. Learn from others mistakes and end it when planned.

Brandon W July 11, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I have to admit, Jason Segel is my all-time favorite actor, and seeing HMYM is my absolute favorite show ever. I feel like I am part of the group, and I can relate to them. It will be sad when the show ends, but I think Jason Segel will be on to bigger and better things to further his acting career, and I can’t wait to see it.

Mark July 6, 2011 at 9:12 am

Who is segel? Marshall or Ted. I know it’s not Barney.

admin July 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

Mark ยป Marshall

Anonymous February 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Marshal is.

katie February 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm

They cannot end how I met your mother. It is definatly my favorite show. Even if they get new characters no one can replace them and why would they go downhill. I mean there’s still sooo much Ted hasn’t even met his wife yet. Also we need to know what happens with robin and Barney. How I met your mother definatly should not end after season eight.